ReefCleaners.org

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, and no Haswell, either, a Haswell wit a soldered IHS - MMMMM that would be a beast of a beast. I'm pretty sure, though, that Intel is going to use their soldered IHS only on their 'enthusiast' sockets from now on to push overclockers to the more expensive stuff.

My last AMD chip was an Opteron 165. Dual core, 1.8GHz, dropped it in a replacement for a 3200+ (2.0GHz). I had the original chip overclocked to 2.8GHz on its stock voltage, and when I put in the O165, I had forgotten to clear the BIOS, so it was immediately OCd to 2.8GHz and was stable. After that, I went to an Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 and took it from 1.86GHz to 3.15GHz (almost 100% OC). After that moved to a Lynnfield-based Xeon X3440 quad core and OCd it from 2.53 to 4.4GHz. Got a BITCHIN deal on an i7-970 six core and took that thing to 4.2GHz, that's the most I could pump into it. That was also the CPU I almost destroyed with my evaporative cooler, whoops :)

Sold that and went to my current i7 2600K (taking it to 5GHz, settling on 4.8 to lower voltage a bit) since there has been no competition from AMD in the medium-high end, especially since I was doing a lot of video encoding and am power-conscious.

So anyway, in tank news -

This dwarf cerith has survived what I didn't think any could.

IMG_20140329_175423381.jpg

So when I took my tank down in late December, I siphoned all the sand out first, and left it outside (I drained as much water from the buckets as I could, too). It's been rainy, filling the buckets completely with freshwater, it's been freezing on at least a dozen nights since then, and other times it has been 90 degrees. I rinsed out one bucket over a few hours the other night before putting it back in the tank, and I'll be damned, this dwarf cerith is not only alive, but moving, crawling, and nomming! WTF

zombie!

The strawberry crab has a thick shell, so unless you have a larger mantis, it won't be able to crack it.

I know, a good show

jedimasterben

I know, a good show

True story. I dunno if mantids can 'feel' anger, but I bet it would after smacking on one for 20 minutes to no avail lol

jedimasterben

Holy shit I just fixed my drain gurgling noise. I was so pissed off at it, and frustrated, that I smacked my hand down on the drain.... which seated it in place and the toilet flush immediately stopped. Now I just have a bit of a falling water sound to deal with. I can't believe that it was something that simple!

jedimasterben

So the drain is quiet, and I zip tied a baggie to the overflow so it's quiet, now I just have the falling water sound and bubbles popping sound to take care of, then I've got a quiet tank for once!

Oh, and the acro is still alive :)

jedimasterben

Some corals are thriving in my coral holding tank while that mushroom kills the shit out of other things :angry:

IMG_6242.jpg

Dat coralline. I'm really thinking it is due to the deep red LEDs.

IMG_6231.jpg

jedimasterben

Also - the NDA has lifted, if anyone wants to talk about the Bluefish controller, let me know :)

IMG_20140401_232219411.jpg

jedimasterben

DAVE SAYS THE LIGHT WILL HAVE PHOTOS SOOOOONNNNNNNNN

Also bought an Amazon Basics 60" tripod and a silicone pad to put under the skimmer to reduce vibration. I've never used a tripod before, so I don't know what features I need, etc, so I figured that for $22 I can get a feel for what I need without feeling like I've wasted a crapton of money if I need something better.

jedimasterben

Looking to use 8020 aluminum extrusion to hang the light. One 'double' rail will mount to the wall parallel to the tank, and will have two arms coming off and over the tank. It's inexpensive, easy to drill, and should look sexy. I will be able to adjust the arms left and right, the mounts to the arms, and the wire length that attaches to the Nanobox unit, so I will be able to get it to hang perfectly centered. :)

jedimasterben

Did the first low salinity dip on all my corals.

New holding tanks set up in place of the 20L fish QT.

IMG_6243.jpg

How bad the dinos are in the three places they grow.

IMG_6252.jpg

IMG_6257.jpg

IMG_6266.jpg

So my fingers kinda burn.

IMG_6277.jpg

All done. Put in some filter floss and KZ coral snow to help clean up.

IMG_6288.jpg

IMG_6290.jpg

Can't really pick up how awesome my nems look under this 'ghetto' light.

IMG_6291.jpg

So the one on the right was kinda under a rock for the past three months.... whoops.

IMG_6295.jpg

jedimasterben

There are literally piles of dead fire worms in the holding tank.

IMG_6297.jpg

This one's around 3" long or so.

IMG_6308.jpg

That looks like a big pile of NOPE.

tDyjW.png

Mr. Microscope

So my fingers kinda burn.

IMG_6277.jpg

IEEEE! I've been a little too daring myself lately and moving rocks around without gloves. I've gotten lucky so far though. I hope I never have to feel that pinch.

I hope you low salinity dipping does the trick. How are the corals doing?

jedimasterben

IEEEE! I've been a little too daring myself lately and moving rocks around without gloves. I've gotten lucky so far though. I hope I never have to feel that pinch.

I hope you low salinity dipping does the trick. How are the corals doing?

Most are still mad as hell, but I don't blame them lol.

I wish I could get a better pic, but all that red light just blows everything out.

IMG_6330.jpg

Also, three of the four new fishies.

IMG_6342.jpg

The last is an ORA blackline fang blenny. I figured I've got a new QT setup, with different live rock, with all new water, I need to see if I can keep fish alive again. I don't want to be stuck with just a leopard wrasse and yellow watchman goby forever.

Mr. Microscope

The last is an ORA blackline fang blenny.

Awesome! Those are really beautiful. Can't wait to see a nice pic of it. I really want to get one of their new mimic blennies. They look amazing. I hope they become more available soon.
jedimasterben

Also, check out the grandis palys! They are so damn colorful now.

They are in the very left of this pic, you can see how bland and brown they were when I got them.
IMG_20131112_171531835.jpg

And now (just busted out the Coral Compulsion 18K PAR38 to get rid of some of that red).
IMG_6361.jpg

And took a few more pics.

IMG_6357.jpg

I almost tossed this goniopora, I really don't know why I kept it and put it back on the rack, but I'm very glad I did - ONE polyp is clinging to life after being stung by the giant mushroom!
IMG_6366.jpg

This blasto is toast.... but it looks like my green leather had a baby on it?
IMG_6371.jpg

My friend's rock nem. Can't get a good pic of it, it's very red, not orange.
IMG_6378.jpg

My favorite things ever. Seriously considering a tank just with a shitload of them.
IMG_6390.jpg

Awesome! Those are really beautiful. Can't wait to see a nice pic of it. I really want to get one of their new mimic blennies. They look amazing. I hope they become more available soon.

The mimic blennies are VERY expensive from the few I've seen locally, and ORA is a short car ride away, so all the stores in my area get their corals and clams dirt cheap.

Get er' done Ben. GL with the hypo treatment.

Thanks, and while I'm trying to be optimistic about it, I'm not sure if it's a battle that I can win. I did have another idea yesterday - when I was able to keep an algae scrubber going, I had no dinos, but when I shut it down in favor of the skimmer, they came from nowhere and began their warpath. I've seen 'Mr. Pants' mention on several occasions that macroalgae and cyanobacteria are far more efficient at nutrient extraction than dinoflagellates and that if those begin to take over, the dinos will die back or be eliminated (more than likely just retreating into dinocysts, but that's beside the point lol). There really isn't room to do a full one like I had on this tank, I would need something very compact like the SantaMonica HOG models.

jedimasterben

And I forgot that I got a pretty rare gem today. I'll see if I can get a pic of it tomorrow, it hadn't attached yet and was moving around the side of a rock, so not sure if it'll be easy to photograph yet :)

And I forgot that I got a pretty rare gem today. I'll see if I can get a pic of it tomorrow, it hadn't attached yet and was moving around the side of a rock, so not sure if it'll be easy to photograph yet :)

You tease!

jedimasterben

You tease!

I'll give you all a hint - it's red, scaly, has a bifurcated tail and it carries a hay fork.

Well, ok, it's just red. :P

This tank and tanks will be so sexy next week.

-Dave

Well, it'll be much closer to being sexy. I'll have many, many hours of work ahead of me once it gets here!

Archived