Cultivated Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

Nanofreak79
It was supposed to be brand new when they shipped it.

I had the same issue when I had mine. First they sent a wet side, then a dry when the first didn't work. They were cool about helping me though, didn't pay for them.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Yeah, they were cool to deal with last time. They gave me the new dry side for $175 instead of $240 :)

But really, shit happens. There's bad eggs that slip through even the best of the best of companies, so I'm usually not bothered too much by stuff like this.

Nanofreak79

Yep, just don't use reefs2go, they'll #### you every which way till Sunday. Sorry i had to add that.....still fuming from them stealing my money, and paypal giving me the finger. Ecotech takes care of there customers. I even had premium aquatics send me lenses for my radion for free, because they messed up on my ordering and time frame.

jedimasterben

By the time I got home yesterday and got some things finished so I could move the 25g of water I had already in my garbage can, I could only make another 8g or so. :/

Tonight, though, I'm gonna clean up the sump and skimmer (vinegar? bitch please, muriatic acid will get it done in two minutes :)), plumb them in, and get this beyotch rockin'. Lights or no lights! (well, ok, there will be light from CFLs, but you know what I mean :))

I just texted Dave to find out where the mount holes are on the light so that I can go ahead and get the ceiling holes drilled and hardware into place to get everything hung.

In other news, the little window A/C I have in my mancave (where the tank is now) can't seem to get the compressor to fire up. If my house A/C system is set to 74F, that room will be 78 minimum, and if I go in and turn on my computer and use it, it gets to 82-84F. Now with intense light and pumps and such, that room is gonna be BAKING. :(

natalia_la_loca

Tonight, though, I'm gonna clean up the sump and skimmer (vinegar? bitch please, muriatic acid will get it done in two minutes :)), plumb them in, and get this beyotch rockin'. Lights or no lights! (well, ok, there will be light from CFLs, but you know what I mean :))

I really want to start using muriatic acid to clean my skimmer, I've about had it with waiting all day for vinegar to take effect. Is there a particular type or brand of muriatic acid that you use? How much do you dilute it?

jedimasterben

I do a 10-1 solution. Obviously, it needs to be outside (no exceptions) and you need to be wearing thick gloves, full eye protection, and a face mask so you don't inhale anything. It takes just a couple of minutes to do its thing, but be absolutely sure you don't leave pumps or anything in for longer. Once the couple of minutes is up, dump in baking soda (and I mean dump it in, be liberal about it, it's dirt cheap) to neutralize the acid.

As for brands, they're all gonna be the same. Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

natalia_la_loca

Great, thank you for the tips :) I've got all that stuff except the muriatic acid. Will give it a try next time the skimmer is due for cleaning.

Nanofreak79
Why would it be a turtle tank? lol

Just saw the basking light, and half full water......thought you were goin all herp on us.

jedimasterben

Basking light?

I'm glad things are moving along Ben. It's about time you get this tank running!

I know, right?! I'm gettin' antsy!

The Nanobox stuff is just waiting for the paint to dry! :o

Nanofreak79
Basking light?

I know, right?! I'm gettin' antsy!

The Nanobox stuff is just waiting for the paint to dry! :o

The light clipped on the corner....this joke has lost it's luster. Anyway.......glad to see you getting this going.

jedimasterben

The light clipped on the corner....this joke has lost it's luster. Anyway.......glad to see you getting this going.

animated-peanut.gif

:D

So I just ordered a Jebao DC-3000 and DC-6000.

jedimasterben

Just treated myself to a new soldering iron (Weller WLC100 station), another chisel tip (ST2), some no-clean flux, tinner, polishing bar, and a couple of other goodies. I've gone so long with a crappy soldering iron with no station for it, shitty tips, and having shitty solder joints, it's about time I sprung for some quality equipment.

Archived