ReefCleaners.org

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Most places around here sell theSwiftech rads for near MSRP (or sometimes over), but a place called jab-tech always has STUPID low prices on them. If I could physically fit more of them on my bench station, I would, but it would look even more ghetto and I don't want that at this point.

Though, not much is more ghetto than this bitch was:

2011-03-11_22-41-23_660.jpg

2011-03-13_10-51-18_115.jpg

:lol:

If I could figure out how to get it to you without costing a billion billion dollars in shipping, it would have your name allll over it. My wife's been trying to get me to get rid of it for, eh, three years now? lol

If I can ever help you get ahold of something you need, though, just let me know. Shipping is just such a bear.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard of jab-tech before, heard they are very cheap. That is seriously ghetto haha, as long as it gets the job done though ey? When I was doing my first serious PC mod and WC build I ran all my components on the motherboard box on my desk for close to 18 months before any of them saw a case. This was way back when the 680i chipset was creme of the crop and you would kill for an 8800GTX. I actually knocked a glass of water on the rig and fried everything besides my HDDs and WiFi card. Claimed it under insurance and ended up getting batter gear, blamed it on the cat. Funny thing is I have never owned a cat, had to borrow a friends when the insurance dude came for a suss haha.

Shipping costs from the US isn't that bad, the weight of the goods is the problem. Once you factor in freight for 3Kg of waterblock and rad I may as well buy it local for a few extra dollars. Unless I can get a seriously good deal on second hand gear which I do buy and horde from time to time haha. I'll hit you up if I find a great deal and need a hand.

jedimasterben

Yeah, that radiator was hands-down better than anything I have used - and after that I used a Swiftech 4x120 along with two 3x120. That thing could handle so much heat, it was insane. If only it wasn't so ridiculously ghetto, I would probably still use it!

LOL, I've never heard of anyone needing to borrow a cat before! That's epic!

Yeah, just let me know. I usually buy stuff from the [H]ardOCP forums, most people there have sane prices :)

jedimasterben

True! I imagine if I had done a little bit better job with making it (or having something made that didn't look like it took 4 minutes, a razor knife, and a hot glue gun lol) that the missus wouldn't have been so WTFISTHATWHYISITINMYHOUSE about it :lol:

Hmm.... I might still try and do something with it. :)

jedimasterben

Well, that shroud is LONG gone lol. If I ever did revisit it, I would probably have something nice made from acrylic or some sort of plastic, and it wouldn't need to be that large, I think. I would also use better fans (the Yate-Loon D12SL-12 are ok, but I would want something with some good pressure - like the Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-14 that will be here Friday :) ).

Main problem is a place to put it. Right now, the computer is on a different wall shelf, and I don't think there is the space under it to put the rad and a shroud.

jedimasterben

Just got Dave all paid up for having to basically 100% remake the housings, and he's prepping them for paint/powdercoating! Also bought the Luxeon UV (400nm and 425nm) and Luxeon Z blue and cyan, so all I need are some Luxeon M royal blue, a couple more LDD drivers, and then I'll be able to start putting things together!

Growing flowers... when you don't want to watch your coral grow get flowers.

I have knockout roses, bachelors buttons, and now my new project gladiolus as well as the veggies. :P Too many plants

jedimasterben

lol

My grandpa and I built five big flower boxes out of landscaping timbers, notching them like lincoln logs, and have one that is a hexagon that wraps around the tree and has the daisies in it. They're literally the only flowers that have survived, besides some hydrangeas in with the daisies that are clinging to life. The other boxes the flowers all just died out (despite watering them/the rainy season) and weeds took over. If the daisies could handle full sun AND the Florida heat both at once, I'd just fill every box with them, but they really need to be kept away from the afternoon sun.

I haven't watered them, I haven't pruned them, shit, I didn't even cover the things on the couple of nights this year that we had frost sweep through - and the things bloomed a couple of days after!! Not only are they my favorite flowers, but these ones are hardy? Score!

I'm actually looking to grow some inside in my computer room, since I spend most of my time in there. I would build them a grow light and I should be able to keep them blooming year-round :)

jedimasterben

Just ordered MDPC-X sleeving for my LED build.

(just the white)

white-small-02.jpg

Sleeve_SMALL___G_4d4ca6d1ef0fe.jpg

Heatshrink, because I'm doing this shit the right way.

Pre_Cut_Heatshri_4cd7372324a2a.jpg

Pre_Cut_Heatshri_4cd73497cdc02.jpg

jedimasterben

I didn't realize how much and how many wires I have and will need, so I didn't order NEARLY enough sleeve. Oh boy.

Run 1) LEDs to LDD
Wire thickness: 1.6mm (20AWG solid)
Number of wires: 16x
Run length: 3m

Run 2) Fans to SCW
Wire thickness: 1.3mm (24AWG solid)
Number of wires: 6x

Run 3) T5 to ballast
Wire thickness: 2.9mm (18AWG 600v solid)
Number of wires: 7x

Run 4) Bluefish to LDD
Wire thickness: 3mm (audio cable)
Number of wires: 3x
Run length: 1m

Run 5) Bluefish to wall
Wire thickness: 4mm (standard thin 12v adapter)
Number of wires: 1x
Run length total: 2m

Run 6) LDD to PSU
Wire thickness: 1.6mm (20AWG solid)
Number of wires: 8x
Run length total: 1m

Run 7) HLG to wall (also ballast to wall)
Wire thickness: 7mm
Number of wires: 2x
Run length total: 2m

I'm gonna need a shitload of sleeving, but it's gonna look SO badass, especially since half the wires will be white sleeve and half blue. :happydance:

EDIT: Oh, and I'm also getting the wire itself in white and blue jacket so that if it can be seen anywhere through the sleeve it won't be noticeable.

MDPX is the bomb! Expensive but the best sleeving I have ever used, besides old school nylon sleeving. i'm lazy myself so have resorted to the presleeved cable extensions for the PC, sleeve all my custom audio cables with nylon though. Should turn out really slick mate.

EDIT:

Holly hell, over 100m worth of cable???

jedimasterben

MDPX is the bomb! Expensive but the best sleeving I have ever used, besides old school hylon sleeving. i'm lazy myself so have resorted to the presleeved cable extensions for the PC, sleeve all my custom audio cables with nylon though. Should turn out really slick mate.

EDIT:

Holly hell, over 100m worth of cable???

I know, shit's hard to believe! I overestimated on the longer runs (the runs are closer to 2.7m, but I like to have PLENTY of extra so when I #### something up it doesn't matter lol).

I know, shit's hard to believe! I overestimated on the longer runs (the runs are closer to 2.7m, but I like to have PLENTY of extra so when I #### something up it doesn't matter lol).

That's exactly what I do aswell, always buy a bit extra to save on the heartache later. I'm interested to see how the sleeving turns out on such long lengths. I have found that single sleeve tends to look like crazy spaghetti on really long lengths and it's such a shame to use cable ties to hold it all together. You could use those clear acrylic combs people are using in their PCs now to tidy things up if you have to. Would look pretty epic having a channel of ultra straight cable draped down the wall/stand.

jedimasterben

FINAL FINAL FINAL V8.6 FINAL FINAL

Paint scheme

Nanobox%20paint.png

LED layout

nanobox%20retro.png

And the real deal! IT'S HAPPENINGGGG
MG954340.jpg

MG950349.jpg

That's exactly what I do aswell, always buy a bit extra to save on the heartache later. I'm interested to see how the sleeving turns out on such long lengths. I have found that single sleeve tends to look like crazy spaghetti on really long lengths and it's such a shame to use cable ties to hold it all together. You could use those clear acrylic combs people are using in their PCs now to tidy things up if you have to. Would look pretty epic having a channel of ultra straight cable draped down the wall/stand.

That would be bitchin' awesome, but probably also bitchin' expensive too lol (not that I'm not already $1100 in the hole, almost $1200 with the sleeve). Got any links? I dunno what the stuff would even be called.

That would be bitchin' awesome, but probably also bitchin' expensive too lol (not that I'm not already $1100 in the hole, almost $1200 with the sleeve). Got any links? I dunno what the stuff would even be called.

That looks baws already, these are what I'm thinking of, if you get the 22/24 pin ones you can always trim them to size with a small saw and clean the cut up with a lighter.

http://lutro0-customs.com/products/cable-comb

jedimasterben

She knows one thing about our relationship - she doesn't touch my computer. lol

Leak test success! Most of the bubbles were out of the radiators and into the reservoir this morning.

IMG_20140306_223606054.jpg

Was really ghetto-ly hooked up to just power the two pumps

IMG_20140306_223621642.jpg

Archived