ReefCleaners.org

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

I had to google most of that!

That's weird, I just thought "nerds gotta nerd" and inferred that he has a fast processor thingy. What else is there to know?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

So, before my wife left for work, I asked her if she thought I should slide the tank closer to the left wall since it 'attacked her' lol as she walking out of the room. She thought it was a good idea. Then she said 'and why don't you move the little tank out into the living room where the old one was? It's a lot smaller, so it would look better out there'

Looks like I'm keeping the 30g shallow tank. :) Think I'll make it into a Caribbean biotope, since my wife loves the shit out of pearly jawfish, and I like Caribbean stuff. It'll have to be mostly softies and gorgonians, though, unless I can sweet talk KPA or GLR into chipping some corals off of their live rock :)

Caribbean coral are slim pickings unless they are gorgs or shrooms.

I've gone insane trying to find a rose coral or staghorn/elkhorn acros. Ive got that ivory bush, some starlet and hidden cup coral but thats the extent of my Caribbean collection so far.

Good luck.

jedimasterben

I've gone insane trying to find a rose coral or staghorn/elkhorn acros. Ive got that ivory bush, some starlet and hidden cup coral but thats the extent of my Caribbean collection so far.

Good luck.

As long as it is attached to aquacultured live rock, stony corals are ok to sell. I got some sort of brain coral on my last shipment from KPA, and I know places like Gulf Live Rock and such will have some sometimes. I think I'll email them and ask if I can just buy the coral lol

The Smithsonian Marine Station in Fort Pierce does aquaculture of the Acropora... wonder if I can talk them into giving me a frag? I did donate heatsinks to them for their LED light for their misc tank.

I also just realized that after switching the fish to the 20 long tank, I forgot to dose it with chloroquine. GAHHH. So now I have another 30 days or so of QT on them. Hopefully I'll have the display up and running by then. I dosed 390mg, need a total of 720mg to get 10mg/L dosage, will dose the rest tomorrow.

Yeah though even finding them attached to liverock is hard. At least finding them living. I've seen skeletons but nothing alive or nothing anyone is willing to part with. I left a note and emailed them about including a coral but they either ignored it or overlooked it. I did get the spondes and macro that I asked for though through GulfLiveRock.

I doubt the Smithsonian will donate a frag of a threatened coral to you but do try. If you get one, don't kill it :flower:

Nanofreak79
So, before my wife left for work, I asked her if she thought I should slide the tank closer to the left wall since it 'attacked her' lol as she walking out of the room. She thought it was a good idea. Then she said 'and why don't you move the little tank out into the living room where the old one was? It's a lot smaller, so it would look better out there'

Looks like I'm keeping the 30g shallow tank. :) Think I'll make it into a Caribbean biotope, since my wife loves the shit out of pearly jawfish, and I like Caribbean stuff. It'll have to be mostly softies and gorgonians, though, unless I can sweet talk KPA or GLR into chipping some corals off of their live rock :)

Sounds way cool man. Jawfish are one of my faves!

jedimasterben

I love them, too, but I've never been able to keep one alive, and I've tried at least half a dozen times. They just disappear after a week or two (and not to the floor, either, I've never found a body except for one).

SouthFlorida_Tron

Every time i see this avatar i think of a crazy goby jabbering out of a whole, or a damn peppermint shrimp on crack LMAO

Nanofreak79
I love them, too, but I've never been able to keep one alive, and I've tried at least half a dozen times. They just disappear after a week or two (and not to the floor, either, I've never found a body except for one).

My two yellow heads I've tried just jumped out the tank. My wife's all wtf is the dog throwing around.

jedimasterben

All of my tanks have always run glass or mesh tops, so I don't usually worry about that (one literally jumped a few seconds after hitting the QT tank while I had my back turned picking up the glass top to put on it, FML).

Good luck.

PM Tiny Giant for elkhorn. Tell him Kat sent you.

jedimasterben

:slap: thats endangered.

And as long as they have settled on aquacultured live rock, then they are fair game.

So after storage, one of my MP40 dry sides is loud. It isn't the bearings, it's vibration in the motor. I actually think this is the one that I purchased from Ecotech back in December, I'm gonna have to check the serials and see.

jedimasterben

Definitely not alignment, as moving it around I can make the noise MUCH worse. It's got a pretty wicked vibration to it (by feeling the motor housing, the other one I can barely even feel is on, yet I see the flow is the same), and I switched wet sides just to be sure, and it still does it.

Archived