Top Shelf Aquatics

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She knows one thing about our relationship - she doesn't touch my computer. lol

Leak test success! Most of the bubbles were out of the radiators and into the reservoir this morning.

IMG_20140306_223606054.jpg

Was really ghetto-ly hooked up to just power the two pumps

IMG_20140306_223621642.jpg

Oh, she wouldn't touch the computer. She would just get rid of fan/cardboard things. Though, she definitely would not be ok with whatever acrylic frankenstein thing you have going on here lol

jedimasterben

AWWWWW GODDAMNIT.

So the GTX 780 I bought requires an updated BIOS for my motherboard... my motherboard is a P67 chipset, and has the infamous 'B2' glitch that was replaced for free if you sent it in - well, the glitch didn't (and doesn't) affect me, so I never bothered to send mine in. Well, now it seems that I have to update my BIOS - but my motherboard does not support any of the updates because I have the old chipset revision!!! UGHHHH

jedimasterben

Buying an Asus P8Z77-V motherboard. It'll look like a bag of knobs combined with the red tubing, but whatever. It's $110 and won't give me any issues, and when it comes time to upgrade the CPU I'll get a new motherboard that is red and black :)

jedimasterben

Man, and I got everything looking so good, too. :(

IMG_5864.jpg

IMG_5863.jpg

IMG_5865.jpg

IMG_5868.jpg

IMG_5870.jpg

The old cards.
IMG_5872.jpg

####in' EK, man. ####in' EK.
IMG_5875.jpg

IMG_5879.jpg

IMG_5883.jpg

IMG_5887.jpg

IMG_5888.jpg

IMG_5889.jpg

She's shiny, but I can still see machine marks.
IMG_5893.jpg

Dat reflection doe
IMG_5894.jpg

Swapping out the o-ring.
IMG_5896.jpg

IMG_5898.jpg

Used too much, but #### off, it worked.
IMG_5904.jpg

IMG_5912.jpg

These things are FAT
IMG_5915.jpg

IMG_5918.jpg

Almost done.
IMG_5921.jpg

IMG_5922.jpg

IMG_5925.jpg

We have flow.
IMG_5927.jpg

Both still going strong. No noise from them, but the CPU block makes a low hum noise.
IMG_5930.jpg

IMG_5952.jpg

jedimasterben

Yeah, I made a thread in the water cooling subsection and then also bitched about it in GenMay lol

jedimasterben

Also, wire is damn expensive, about $50 or so for the whole LED array for this tank, and a total of $85 for sleeving. Oy.

Also, on the Sleeving. Have you considered trying Para-cord? The outer cover seems to have a similar mesh to MDPC-X sleeving, but its a bit softer. I t may also be a little easier to work with. not sure if can adjust to different sized wire or not, I haven't personally given it a shot yet, but I know it started picking up steam in the community an bit ago.

Benny, I thought Tailes was a Goddess, she bakes the most amazing cheesecakes and lets Veng use kitchen stuff for the tank. But your wife lets you do THAT in your living room?! IF you ever are stupid enough to let her go ima marry your wife.

NirvanaandTool

Benny, I thought Tailes was a Goddess, she bakes the most amazing cheesecakes and lets Veng use kitchen stuff for the tank. But your wife lets you do THAT in your living room?! IF you ever are stupid enough to let her go ima marry your wife.

:lol: bahaha.

Seriously Ben. You got a good one for putting up with your LED stuff and computer shenanigans.

That build is intense. You don't take any shortcuts on any builds, do you buddy?

well.. i don't normally get excited about computer builds but hot damn! I spent some decent money on a PC build a couple years ago, used it for about 8 months, lost my interest in gaming again, and haven't touched it in 2 years.

jedimasterben

Also, on the Sleeving. Have you considered trying Para-cord? The outer cover seems to have a similar mesh to MDPC-X sleeving, but its a bit softer. I t may also be a little easier to work with. not sure if can adjust to different sized wire or not, I haven't personally given it a shot yet, but I know it started picking up steam in the community an bit ago.

Got a link to any? I've already ordered the MDPC-X, but if there is another option I would consider it.

Hey, you wouldn't want to put up with her lol

:lol: bahaha.

Seriously Ben. You got a good one for putting up with your LED stuff and computer shenanigans.

She doesn't like to admit it, but she's expensive too, but she likes to take trips and fly places. She does what she wants to do, I do what I want to do, all is good in the world :)

That build is intense. You don't take any shortcuts on any builds, do you buddy?

Nah, not really. lol

well.. i don't normally get excited about computer builds but hot damn! I spent some decent money on a PC build a couple years ago, used it for about 8 months, lost my interest in gaming again, and haven't touched it in 2 years.

I don't game nearly as much as I'd like to, but when it comes to cooling, there is no such thing as overkill, and that's where a significant portion of the cost of that build went. I mined a few Bitcoins (unfortunately it was in 2011 when they were only like $20 each) and paid for about a grand of the hardware and such, some of which I already had though so it was even better.

My favorite game right now is, by far, risk of rain, which actually runs REALLY well on the GT430 that I have in the system now, which is the only non-watercooled GPU I have in my house so i can run temporarily while the new mobo is in shipping.

jedimasterben

I am so jealous of your machine. Holy cow!! Gorgoeus

She's not as 'top of the line' as she once was, but still a damn powerful girl :)

This build contains neither coral nor LED's, I must, therefore, object vehemently. #### yo' computer brah'.

My second monitor has an LED backlight.

Here is a site that sells paracord for the purpose of sleeving

http://lutro0-customs.com/collections/paracord

I found a guide that company made on the process.

I have done a PC with MDPC-X, and it looked great, but was a lot of work. This doesn't sound any easier, but could turn out as good and looks to be a lot cheaper. and more color options :D

Interesting. I may pick some of that up to do my power supply cords with. I am thinking of replacing my red tubing with blue to better match the P8Z77-V motherboard since it is blue and black instead of red and black.Wish I would have known my board didnt support the 780 or I'd have done that already, but hindsight is 20/20 :)

The new tube is like $25 or so (I've got the choice of Primochill LRT or Masterkleer, the Primochill seems like it is a little bit more blue), so may go ahead and do it.

Looks like I'll need to calculate how much of the paracord I'd need (about 50' just for the 24-pin connector) and go from there - though it looks like it will be extremely cheap to do. I'd probably order the MDPC 4:1 heatshrink for it, though.

jedimasterben

Looks like I'll need ~150 feet of paracord to do it properly, it's about $30 or so for it. Not bad. The Asus P8Z77-V is black with a couple of shades of blue and white, so I think I may do four colors and mix them up a bit. Whatcha think?

Jedi, if you want an LED strip I bet I have one sitting around somewhere from an old pc to make it "LED compliant" for Psychosis... :-D

That should look good. The one I did used Blue, White and a bit of Grey MDPC-X , also with an Asus with Blue/White theme. It turned out quite nice. I would post pics, but the friend I did it for kept them when he posted them on [H]. If I run across any in an archive somewhere, I will post them

Here I am thinking about building a desktop to play skyrim and steam games and there's this hulking beast. I don't even know what I'm looking at

jedimasterben

Jedi, if you want an LED strip I bet I have one sitting around somewhere from an old pc to make it "LED compliant" for Psychosis... :-D

Yeah, it's not like I don't have a few dozen laying around :lol:

That should look good. The one I did used Blue, White and a bit of Grey MDPC-X , also with an Asus with Blue/White theme. It turned out quite nice. I would post pics, but the friend I did it for kept them when he posted them on [H]. If I run across any in an archive somewhere, I will post them

I'm thinking of a darker blue, turquoise, white, and black. Only the SATA will have an uneven amount of cords and will make me have to choose a favorite :lol:

Seems I was wrong, we used Blue and Black MDPC-X

SyUVVIt.jpg

Sexay

paracord is poop. snags on everything and collects cat hair. EK is also poop.

So it's worse than this? :lol:

IMG_20140310_234901315.jpg

And yes, EK is shit, but they're the only place that makes blocks for custom cards. I don't do reference.

Here I am thinking about building a desktop to play skyrim and steam games and there's this hulking beast. I don't even know what I'm looking at

:lol:

jedimasterben

Also, in tank news -

Still haven't done shit. lol. The corals are still chillin' in the little Biocube, and the remaining fishies are in the 20g. Once again back to the leopard wrasse, fairy wrasse, and watchman goby. The little dragonets just wasted away. If I was home more after I got them (didn't think I would be gone that much) they probably would have made it. :/

Except for the on the gorgonian, I haven't had bad dinos. Still haven't done the freshwater dip. Was planning to do it yesterday, but a friend of mine wanted me to go fishing. Didn't catch shit. Was a fun boat ride, though, seas were 5-7' or so. Anyway, most of the zoas look great and have a lot of new growth. The mushrooms are still mad some days and stretch WAYY up, some days they're fine.

The rock in the garbage can is a pile of garbage. The rock is covered (and I mean covered) in hair algaes now, it sprung up overnight one night last week and is now almost 8" long. I kinda wanna see how long it can get before it breaks off, it can't get much worse than this point.

Archived