SaltCritters.com

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Cleaned up, rescaped, and did a *gasp* water change on the FW tank. I literally pulled out a liter (compressed) of peacock moss that didn't have any hair algae (and about twice that of the part that did). Looks better. I just wish I had a CO2 rig for it to keep the algae at bay, but getting a CO2 tank filled locally is an absolute bitch - a 5lb tank will cost $85 at the only place in town that fills it, Airgas. :/

IMG_6155.jpg

It's turkey shaped. My wife had to get it for me because of the irony. :)

I was thinking it worked better because it was a turkey baster that had a turkey on it :D

Cleaned up, rescaped, and did a *gasp* water change on the FW tank. I literally pulled out a liter (compressed) of peacock moss that didn't have any hair algae (and about twice that of the part that did). Looks better. I just wish I had a CO2 rig for it to keep the algae at bay, but getting a CO2 tank filled locally is an absolute bitch - a 5lb tank will cost $85 at the only place in town that fills it, Airgas. :/

IMG_6155.jpg

Blasphemy! Suffer not the heretic to live!

Good to see the tank I'm motion, at least in terms of progress.

jedimasterben

:eek:

DANGNABBIT! He found out I'm really a chick masquerading as a man! ARGH!

Hey now, I've seen pics. It's hard to fake what you got goin' on :lol:

I was thinking it worked better because it was a turkey baster that had a turkey on it :D

Xzibit would be very proud of it! :lol:

Blasphemy! Suffer not the heretic to live!

Good to see the tank I'm motion, at least in terms of progress.

Yep, and I was planning on getting the sump cleaned, connected, and running (along with the skimmer), and put the sand and live rock in it, but I forgot I was going to help a friend move today... and by move, it turned out that they had packed up nothing, and had only planned to move the big furniture, but it was impossible to get to without packing all of the other stuff, so it was a fun day. We got them all moved, though, there's only a little stuff in their old place!

Nanofreak79
Nice turkey baster.
I was gonna say, totally sick azz baster.

Blasphemy! Suffer not the heretic to live! Good to see the tank I'm motion, at least in terms of progress.
Love those bow fronts, nice tank ben.
jedimasterben

Brought home some familiar faces last night. My friend that was moving, I took his two chromis (that I gave him) and all his corals and a rock flower nem (which I was holding and had just recently given back to him lol) and brought them here. I put the two chromis in with my fish (no big deal, full strength chloroquine phosphate) and the corals and nem are still in a bucket with an airstone and CFL.

Unfortunately, I just watched one of the chromis stop breathing and my fairy wrasse is gasping for air :(

I haven't been running the powerhead in that tank, and I don't think that just the AC30 filter on it is enough circulation to keep the water aerated enough, and although both wrasses have been swimming around and whatnot like normal, this morning, only the leopard wrasse was out, and the fairy wrasse was laying on the bottom, not gasping though. That was right after light started coming into the room, so I figured it just hadn't 'woken up' yet. Fast forward to now, the chromis was gone and the wrasse is being blown around the tank gasping. I have the powerhead back on and the airstone, and hopefully I'm not too late. :(

jedimasterben

Yes, I got it, and I finally figured out why I was getting random hard locks with the system - I guess over the years I've pushed a liiiittle too much voltage through the CPU and the memory controller is a bit flaky when all four RAM slots are populated. Have four of them in - system hard locks every once in a while and Memtest86+ just stops running. Take two out, and I have no more instability and Memtest will run as long as I let it. I figure eh, it's good enough for right now, I'll just grab some blue 8GB sticks and still have 16GB total, plus the red color on the current RAM clashes :)

Also - the stock clocks on the new GPU are 889MHz/941MHz boost, and 1032MHz in-game. Bumping the voltage up to 1.200v on the core, I got it to go to 1241MHz boost, and 1346MHz in-game. :)

With both of my old 6970 overclocked to 1GHz on the core, the Unigine Heaven benchmark gave me 609 points. The stock 780 gave me 847, and overclocked it gave me 1018. I know it usually leans a bit more towards the nvidia architecture, but damn!

but getting a CO2 tank filled locally is an absolute bitch - a 5lb tank will cost $85 at the only place in town that fills it, Airgas. :/

Have a local paintball shop ? They might fill it for you .

jedimasterben

Have a local paintball shop ? They might fill it for you .

Used to, they'd fill a 20oz tank that I used for a while for $4. They were an auto shop that also fill paintball canisters, but they went out of business around a year ago.

Paleoreef103

Used to, they'd fill a 20oz tank that I used for a while for $4. They were an auto shop that also fill paintball canisters, but they went out of business around a year ago.

Find out where the people with Kegerators go.

jedimasterben

Find out where the people with Kegerators go.

I don't really have any friends that are local, and I don't hang out with anyone that drinks enough to own one.

jedimasterben

Spoke too soon about my computer - it just gave me a crash. At least I got an error code this time, 0x00000050 - basically saying the RAM is bad, or maybe the memory controller isn't bad after all and it is the RAM, though it would be strange that all four stick were bad. :/

jedimasterben

Got the system filled, got my new live rock from KPA scrubbed, freshwater dipped, and in the tank, and fired it up. This drain is going to drive me absolutely ####ing ballistic. I have it set the exact same as it was before, with the same pump, same sump water height, and same drain tube length, and if the pump is anything over 50% capacity, it causes no end of noise, not flushing, just gurgling at the drain intake as it is struggling to maintain full siphon (which it can't be) and trying to pull in far more air than it needs. If the pump is valved to less than 50% capacity, I get toilet flush non stop, which again should not happen, as this was the same place I had it valved to before. If the pump is valved to around 10% or so, the drain is only mildly irritating, but the caveat is I'd estimate the flow to be around 50GPH or so, which is far from optimal. If this thing doesnt quiet down, its gonna become friends with a hammer and fire.

Archived