Cultivated Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll give you all a hint - it's red, scaly, has a bifurcated tail and it carries a hay fork.

You put my Mother-In-Law in your tank? That was a baaad idea...

Did the first low salinity dip on all my corals.

New holding tanks set up in place of the 20L fish QT.

How bad the dinos are in the three places they grow.

IMG_6252.jpg

IMG_6257.jpg

So my fingers kinda burn.

All done. Put in some filter floss and KZ coral snow to help clean up.

Can't really pick up how awesome my nems look under this 'ghetto' light.

So the one on the right was kinda under a rock for the past three months.... whoops.

ohhh my god... I'm so sorry!!!

jedimasterben

Still haven't gotten any pictures of satan, sue me. :P

I did pay for a bunch of stuff yesterday, though - some really nice mushrooms, a frogspawn, and a nice brain coral from Reefgardener's ebay listings. I paid ~$100 for everything, including tax and shipping, and on the site they totaled up to about double that. :o

I also bought a bunch of 8020 aluminum extrusion and connectors and such to make my light hanger. omgomgomg it's getting closer!

Now all I'm waiting for on the light is for the Nanobox stuff to arrive now that it is finally finished, and for some Luxeon M royals to arrive, along with a couple more drivers. I'm also working on a :ninja: project with Dave, it's gonna be badass.

jedimasterben

Update on fishies. The bebbeh chromis (the thing is 1/2-3/4", itty bitty bebbeh) is alive, and today I found the blackline blenny, so he made it, too, wasn't sure, he's really good at hiding. Looks like the other two chromis didn't make it, I dunno what was going on in that QT tank. Oy.

In coral QT, I came home and was like :o :o :o :o because it looked like dinos! But upon closer inspection, it was just a dusting of diatoms, some hair algae, and bubbles from the HOB filter getting caught in it. PHEW Hope those bitches stay away!

I still didn't get a pic of the red devil, but I'll let you in on a little secret.

:happydance:

:flower:

omgomgomg

:wub:

Still haven't gotten any pictures of satan, sue me. :P

I did pay for a bunch of stuff yesterday, though - some really nice mushrooms, a frogspawn, and a nice brain coral from Reefgardener's ebay listings. I paid ~$100 for everything, including tax and shipping, and on the site they totaled up to about double that. :o

I also bought a bunch of 8020 aluminum extrusion and connectors and such to make my light hanger. omgomgomg it's getting closer!

Now all I'm waiting for on the light is for the Nanobox stuff to arrive now that it is finally finished, and for some Luxeon M royals to arrive, along with a couple more drivers. I'm also working on a :ninja: project with Dave, it's gonna be badass.

Did you buy those RARE Bam bam polyps :)?
jedimasterben

Nope, I don't buy into any hype :)

I paid about that much for 4-5 corals from her, one of which is a brain coral (I think a wellso, can't remember right now, but you'll love it :) ).

jedimasterben

The blackline blenny, Meiacanthus nigrolineatus

IMG_6417.jpg

IMG_6421.jpg

Yucky algae.

IMG_6438.jpg

IMG_6445.jpg

IMG_6458.jpg

IMG_6471.jpg

IMG_6478.jpg

Goniastrea from PJ86, DAYUM it's bright!

IMG_6493.jpg

Bicolor hammer and frogspawn from Reefgardener

IMG_6511.jpg

IMG_6516.jpg

IMG_6517.jpg

This is some kind of coral.

IMG_6521.jpg

IMG_6531.jpg

Nanofreak79

Some corals are thriving in my coral holding tank while that mushroom kills the shit out of other things :angry:

IMG_6242.jpg

Dat coralline. I'm really thinking it is due to the deep red LEDs.

IMG_6231.jpg

That sympodium is awesome! Mine melted :(

jedimasterben

It went from bone white to that light brown color a week or so after putting it in the tank from the holding bucket. It isn't algae growth, I tried to brush it off to see. Who knows, it could be anything :)

Ah okay. I'm curious to see what it turns out to be. Mine hasn't changed any since I got my rocks so I figured it was a skeleton of an encrusting something-or-other.

jedimasterben

IMG_20140410_172515998.jpg

Be safe when dealing with strong acids, guys.

IMG_20140410_172519805.jpg

IMG_20140410_172530054.jpg

Also, don't miscalculate how much acid to add. Bad choice.

IMG_20140410_173853588.jpg

IMG_20140410_173935126.jpg

Still not done, let's add a box of baking soda.

IMG_20140410_175150275.jpg

Ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

IMG_20140410_175411776.jpg

Four boxes later, it still wasn't done, so I stuck the hose into it and turned it on (the well water is very, very high pH and hardness) and dumped out what I could, and let everything rinse several times before touching.

Powder sand, anyone?

IMG_20140410_181406651.jpg

Just need a strong rinse and they're good to G-O

IMG_20140410_181411185.jpg

I found my friend's mantis that I didn't think was alive :( :(

IMG_20140410_181443056.jpg

Archived