ReefCleaners.org

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Well, I guess they are worth saving :P I am just not sure how you can make sure that you can transfer them without the dinos also coming with? You need some kind of complex transfer process.

With the nems, the hardest part will be getting them off of the rock they're on - from there, it'll be a snap, since there won't be anything for the dinos to be on, a quick FW dip of the nems and they'll be clean.

Happy birthday ben!

Thanks!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Happy Birthday! Got a Present a day early it seems :D

Oh yeah! Now to just get the last of the LEDs and drivers in and I'll be all set!

Happy Birthday!

Thanks!

So today my wife got me a 6 piece Ryobi One+ tool kit - has a drill, an impact, a 'jobplus' jiggamabob, a circular saw, a sawsall, and a flashlight, all runs on 18v. I got to use them just a few hours later to put up the 8020 aluminum extrusion to hang the Nanobox retro from :)

IMG_20140427_215339984.jpg

(yes, this is level lol, it's just an odd angle)

Double nuts

IMG_20140427_220733548.jpg

IMG_20140427_220841608.jpg

The bottom of that same piece

IMG_20140427_221057478.jpg

Oops, ordered the bottom pieces too long. D'oh!

IMG_20140427_222423085.jpg

IMG_20140427_222429715.jpg

Fancy endcaps and a slider to hang the wire from

IMG_20140427_222755274.jpg

Just so damn close to having real lights again!

IMG_20140427_222810537.jpg

jedimasterben

I don't believe it. I just don't ####ing believe it.

IMG_6721.jpg

IMG_6724.jpg

What in the #### are these things made of? :(

:(

Shootinv in the dark here Benny. If you had all of these rocks/livestock during your peroxide dosing days, I would venture to say that they got so accustomed to a change in the environment that they might have those hardened cysts as a defence/survival mechanism. And those you said can't be killed so maybe they are now hatching.

When the human race is extinct and gone.....dinoflagellates will live on....

I am with Kat on this one. I feel like you created some sort of super resistant strain simular to what can happen when someone doesn't finish their antibiotics...

what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger...

Please say that pic isn't in the new DT setup?

jedimasterben

So I've been reading about regenerating Purigen with peroxide instead of bleach. Had to try it :)

This purigen has been dry for four months or so.

IMG_20140429_225434208.jpg

Added about 200mL of peroxide, and it expanded to this.

IMG_20140429_225528404.jpg

A little more and I got to this.

IMG_20140429_230034530.jpg

And this morning I had this. wat

IMG_20140430_121544227.jpg

I also had two goals for today. One, to make the tank stop looking like a box of rocks, without yet removing any of the rock in there (since I don't want it to die without light). Two, to get the anemones out of the QT tank and into the display.

This is what I started with.

IMG_6736.jpg

IMG_6734.jpg

IMG_6739.jpg

Decided to give the meat a snacky poo.

IMG_6749.jpg

The nems were attached to my favorite rock. I was really upset that I had to smash it apart to get them off. :( :(

IMG_6759.jpg

But after 25 minutes or so of careful pulling, tugging, smashing, and prying, here they are, a little worse for wear, but their feet weren't too banged up.

IMG_6758.jpg

And this is what I ended up with. Half a dozen or so rocks will still be taken out, but nowhere to go or put them for right now.

IMG_6768.jpg

Right side

IMG_6775.jpg

Left side

IMG_6780.jpg

Middle

IMG_6784.jpg

My SPS 'frag' (either a pocillopora or stylophora) attached to the Grube's gorgonian is doing well.

IMG_6791.jpg

Nems are already starting to get comfortable. Still have the pumps all off to let them settle down a bit.

IMG_6796.jpg

Favia

IMG_6798.jpg

Trachy and the newest maxi behind it. That one will be pulled from its rock and put on the one that the others are on soon.

IMG_6806.jpg

Some ricordea. One I accidentally pulled in half, whoops.

IMG_6810.jpg

My grandis palys, pulled them from the plug they were mounted to and gave them a good scrub and rinse.

IMG_6813.jpg

More than likely all that will be left of my 'mind blowing' palys colony. :(

IMG_6817.jpg

For reference, over 100 polyps:

IMG_20131208_175524077.jpg

My starlet coral.

IMG_6823.jpg

jedimasterben

So I figured out where my dinos came from. I had collected (several times) some macroalgae from the Indian River in Fort Pierce a few times. It basically borders the ocean, just a little land in between, but the waters are calm and there are easy spots to get to to fish or drop a castnet (which is how we pull up big bundles of macro).

I have been messaging Mr Pants, who studies dinoflagellates, about my issues. A few minutes ago I receive this in one:

"Having easy access to tropical waters should help diversity. It should be noted that toxic benthic dinos are often found in mangrove swamp waters. Its the classic location we go to look for them when collecting. Open ocean collecting or collection from a coral lagoon would be safer if you have access to those sorts of environments."

Guess where I collect macroalgae from. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=27.419967,+-80.276377&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=6&ie=UTF8&ll=27.420957,-80.27637&spn=0.022285,0.042272&z=15&iwloc=A

####. I did it to myself.

####. I did it to myself.

Oh, damn.

At any rate, had fun catching up on your thread. You look cute in a gas mask :).

That's why I never get in the water down here. Well, the gators and moccasins have something to do with it as well.

Reefed419

Hey Ben, wondering how much acid you put in to how much water you added when u washed your rocks? Getting ready to wash some and not exactly sure where to find the formula on how much to add. Thanks man

jedimasterben

What the what

It worked! I'm gonna try it again next time with 7% peroxide.

Benny I demand you buy new towels for the wife. :angry:

Uhm, actually that IS a new towel. :slap:

That's why I never get in the water down here. Well, the gators and moccasins have something to do with it as well.

Well, ya know, there's those. lol

Hey Ben, wondering how much acid you put in to how much water you added when u washed your rocks? Getting ready to wash some and not exactly sure where to find the formula on how much to add. Thanks man

With muriatic acid from the hardware store, which is usually around 30%, you want to dilute 10:1, so if you are gonna use 10 gallons of solution, use 9 gallons of water and 1 gallon of acid. Remember to always add acid to water, not the other way around!

jedimasterben

It'll still be a while. I just got the Luxeon M a few minutes ago, and still waiting on the heatsink and the final stuff from Dave, he says it should be here Thursday (was hoping for last week, but no biggie).

IMG_20140506_154801677.jpg

jedimasterben

She's a little bleached, but dumping food into it will fix that in a jiffy :)

IMG_6832.jpg

IMG_6846.jpg

Had two, one torpedoed out yesterday. This one seems sad, it's been looking mopey the whole time I've been home.

IMG_6866.jpg

So this petri dish had a cover sitting on it that was at an angle, I guess this dude knocked it over sometime int he past couple of days, I noticed it today and removed it, and it was loaded with algae inside. I'm pretty sure he did it on purpose so he could do this. <_<

IMG_6867.jpg

Got this for $22 :happydance: But this nem is a dick. I put it on the rock that has all of my other maxis, which is across the tank, and left the pumps off for several hours to let it attach. Well, the next day when I come home from work, I couldn't find it! I look, and find it in this little cup that used to have some ricordea in it lol

IMG_6890.jpg

One of the ricordea was all eff you, I'm goin' home!

IMG_6897.jpg

And a gorgeous feather duster :)

IMG_6904.jpg

Archived