Pod Your Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

We have the same speakers.

Ditch that Razer mouse, the brand is total trash. Nothing like they used to be back in the original Boomslang days.

The brand is fine. I haven't had any issues out of the mouse besides the battery crapping out (which is what batteries do).

Wait wait wait. .. was that diet vanilla coca cola? Owuh..mih...gawd.

Coke Zero Vanilla B)

So, I sat down to get all of the LEDs tinned, get the LDD boards swapped over to 24-pin IC sockets so I quit destroying LDD, and start wiring them up... and after finishing the LDD board stuff (well, three out of four boards since the other is in use right now), I tinned the LED pads, and had less than half an inch left of solder. I ordered 100g of 63/37 rosin core on the 21st, and was shipped from Miami on the 22nd, and it isn't going to arrive until tomorrow. FML

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chew_Magna

The brand is fine. I haven't had any issues out of the mouse besides the battery crapping out (which is what batteries do).

I personally haven't seen a Razer product made in the last several years (owned by myself and friends) last more than a year with nothing but normal use. Buttons stop working, buttons start double clicking, mouse just dies for no reason. This is across about half a dozen of their mice. Look up some reviews and you'll see this is a common trend. I admit I'm a Logitech fan these days, I have some of their products around 10 years old that still work fine. I did have the original Boomslang and loved it, but like an idiot I sold it with a laptop years and years ago (and I paid something like $130 for that, a ball mouse lol).

If I get what I asked for my bday I'm getting a mouse by a newer brand called Genius. Looks like a solid brand, has the layout I've grown accustomed to with my G300, just more buttons, but we'll see if it holds up.

jedimasterben

Precision is very important

Si senor!

I personally haven't seen a Razer product made in the last several years (owned by myself and friends) last more than a year with nothing but normal use. Buttons stop working, buttons start double clicking, mouse just dies for no reason. This is across about half a dozen of their mice. Look up some reviews and you'll see this is a common trend. I admit I'm a Logitech fan these days, I have some of their products around 10 years old that still work fine. I did have the original Boomslang and loved it, but like an idiot I sold it with a laptop years and years ago (and I paid something like $130 for that, a ball mouse lol).

I've had this one since 2010. Can't find where I bought it. My buddy got one right after they were released, I think he dropped it during a move a couple years ago. Went to a, I can't remember what it is but it's the MMO one with a thousand buttons, no issues for two (three?) years now.

My mouse before that, no joke, was a basic Microsoft wireless mouse/keyboard set that I got in 2006, that thing was actually badass for what it was. lol

If I get what I asked for my bday I'm getting a mouse by a newer brand called Genius. Looks like a solid brand, has the layout I've grown accustomed to with my G300, just more buttons, but we'll see if it holds up.

I use three buttons on this mouse lol. I sometimes map one of the side buttons, but after about 5 minutes I forget it is there. lol

Chew_Magna

Haha :lol: I'm not a mouse aficionado or anything but I do like experimenting and trying new ones. I'm also a bit of a button whore but not quite into the keyboard-on-side-mmo-mice.

I've grown so accustomed to these shoulder buttons on my Logitech that I couldn't fathom using a mouse without them. That's why I picked the Genius, it has the same shoulder buttons and adds two more traditional thumb buttons.

Current http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24P1K14601&cm_re=logitech_g300-_-9SIA24P1K14601-_-Product

Genius Gila http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826179104

But I almost picked this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826816013

jedimasterben

IMG_20140527_131417908.jpg

Now to make sure she holds water. It wasn't packed all that well (to be frank, it wasn't packed at all, just put into a box), but everything is intact.

NirvanaandTool

IMG_20140527_131417908.jpg

Now to make sure she holds water. It wasn't packed all that well (to be frank, it wasn't packed at all, just put into a box), but everything is intact.

Did you get it directly from Trigger Systems or from a reseller? I got my Crystal Elite sump from Premium Aquatics and it was packaged really well. Super nice sumps. Makes me wonder what I've been doing all these years with DIY sumps.

Reefmaster1996

They both have thier Place (DIY sumps and manufactured ones).

Looking good Jedi, can't wait till I'm at that point in my build.

jedimasterben

Did you get it directly from Trigger Systems or from a reseller? I got my Crystal Elite sump from Premium Aquatics and it was packaged really well. Super nice sumps. Makes me wonder what I've been doing all these years with DIY sumps.

Bought it second hand, though it was new. I guess the guy didn't have the original box.

So once again I'm battling drain noise. I have two choices.

1) Let the drain tube (1" flexPVC) hang over the water line and let it make a horrificially loud splashing noise as it falls into the water

2) Submerge the drain tube and let the standpipe toilet flush every few seconds, along with making an incredible surge of water and air that sends microbubbles throughout the tank to no end (to the point where I cannot see the back of the tank)

Yay choices!

Reefmaster1996

What about trying the durso method?

We have tons of tanks with this at work and they don't sound that bad at all.

jedimasterben

I have a Durso drain. The main issue isn't drain noise, it's the splashing into the sump. There just doesn't seem to be a fix for that. I'm running right at 150GPH through the drain, that is the lowest that this pump can push, and I don't even feel comfortable running that little, it may be why my skimmer has sucked dick lately.

Oh, and btw, I can't use my skimmer with this sump, the chambers are different shaped and too small. Sigh.

Reefmaster1996

Is this with the new sump?

I would run the drain under the water, eventually I feel like the toilet effect should go away, after the plumbing builds some junk on the insides, that's been my expierence.

Also this has reduced micro bubbles for me in the past.

jedimasterben

Is this with the new sump?

I would run the drain under the water, eventually I feel like the toilet effect should go away, after the plumbing builds some junk on the insides, that's been my expierence.

Also this has reduced micro bubbles for me in the past.

The plumbing is good and used and has plenty of slime on it, it's gross inside it lol. The toilet flush noise does not go away, and the microbubbles are incredible.

How many drains do you have? Can't run a herbie?

I'm running a herbie now and love it. My next tank will be external bean overflow, but my herbie setup is Silent. Put it this way. My tank is so silent that I check my sump like 20 times a day.

Damn. That limits things a lot.

Idea for u. Run the return over the tank, and use your return now as your emergency drain for a herbie. Might suck to see the lock line running over the tank, but it will be silent. I rather see that one return and have a quite tank. That's just me though. I did this on my buddies tanks. He also only had one return and one drain.'

jedimasterben

Can't do that, I need a top on the tank and that would mean it would prop up on the back, fish know exactly where they need to jump to get out.

Simple cut out on your top would fix that, but I got u. Good luck getting the durso quite. God knows I've tried.

Reefmaster1996

Good luck Jedi, maybe half submerged like a hob filter type flow setup would quiet it down, half the pipe in the water so the water doesn't catch a lot of air, half out so the air escapes ?

Archived