ReefCleaners.org

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

The Riptide would destroy your little tank, tibbs. It would... rip a new tide.... :lol:

Lolol I want the smallest one.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

I don't think that the smallest one will still be small enough for 5g lol

Tibbs, go buy some of the Strombus conchs from gulfsurfer. They'd do well in your tank, they stay tiny and eat many types of algae, great for a CUC.

I don't think that the smallest one will still be small enough for 5g lol

Tibbs, go buy some of the Strombus conchs from gulfsurfer. They'd do well in your tank, they stay tiny and eat many types of algae, great for a CUC.

Lol maybe...

I just ordered a 5g package from Reef Cleaners which means I am going to get 800lbs of snails, otherwise I would.

I'm thinking of ordering some frags from glenn and claya this summer.

jedimasterben

Lol maybe...

I just ordered a 5g package from Reef Cleaners which means I am going to get 800lbs of snails, otherwise I would.

I'm thinking of ordering some frags from glenn and claya this summer.

If you end up with too many from John, you can send them to me. I could always use moar snails :)

If you end up with too many from John, you can send them to me. I could always use moar snails :)

Sure thing. We'll see how many I end up with. I may use them all at first to get the green sand gone and then send some your way :D

DRLOVEtoreef
Moar cats up ahead, and a dog, and a woodpecker, deal with it.

IMG_0914_zps89b83089.jpg

IMG_0631_zps650bccec.jpg

IMG_0522_zps1f547a56.jpg

IMG_3446_zps5176152a.jpg

IMG_2210_zps02f82b58.jpg

:D They're fwuffy

wtf woodpeckers??

jedimasterben

Considering that there were many companies before them making powerheads, probably :D

I am hoping to be able to use one of them - stick it vertically on my overflow, changing direction every two hours or so. Maybe four.

jedimasterben

So I'm at a week and a day without a skimmer on the tank now - no mechanical filtration, no chemical filtration, either, no nutrient export. Just the ~60lbs of sand in the tank and the maybe 100lbs of rock I have among the display and sump (the center chamber of the trigger sump is absolutely stuffed to the brim with rock, I moved and rotated them until I could fit more, and more, and more, and then still stuck a few pieces in with the return pump lol). My tank has never looked this clear - ever. Even after a dose of KZ Coral Snow overnight, even when running a bigass bag of Purigen (almost 600mL) AND half a cup of ROX 0.8 carbon.

I like. :D

Reefmaster1996

Good for you Ben, that's all I want at the moment a clear tank, I'm making progress though .

I really need a better lens than the stock 18-55mm IS lens. I was REALLY spoiled by shooting with my sister's camera, which was one model older than mine but had a really good lens, a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, I went to look one up and they go for ~$475, so I was like uhhh, that's gonna have to wait a bit lol

I have discovered that my telephoto (55-200) can take pretty good macros from about 3ft from the tank. I just don't have 3ft head-on and end up at an angle. From what I have interpreted of where your tank is, this might be a less expensive option, the 55-200 VR kit lens. Mine doesn't do the VR, so I am forced to do manual shutter and focus.

jedimasterben

I have discovered that my telephoto (55-200) can take pretty good macros from about 3ft from the tank. I just don't have 3ft head-on and end up at an angle. From what I have interpreted of where your tank is, this might be a less expensive option, the 55-200 VR kit lens. Mine doesn't do the VR, so I am forced to do manual shutter and focus.

On the stock lens, to get any good detail of anything, I've gotta be really really close. Took a shitload of pics today and maybe 1/10 of them were ok, and even less I kept lol

IMG_7253.jpg

IMG_7256.jpg

So I've got a problem.

IMG_7273.jpg

IMG_7283.jpg

IMG_7293.jpg

IMG_7296.jpg

IMG_7367.jpg

IMG_7374.jpg

IMG_7383.jpg

IMG_7387.jpg

IMG_7388.jpg

IMG_7393.jpg

IMG_7407.jpg

IMG_7402.jpg

IMG_7419.jpg

IMG_7426.jpg

IMG_7435.jpg

IMG_7478.jpg

IMG_7488.jpg

Recovering after, uh, accidentally placing upside down. whoops.

IMG_7494.jpg

This is what happened to all of my sanctithomae mushrooms, they bleach, shrivel up, and disappear into the rocks.

IMG_7499.jpg

IMG_7428.jpg

jedimasterben

Bought an extension tube set on Amazon. I'll see how it work and if I can get a few better pics before needing to get a better lens :)

NirvanaandTool

Nice pics, especially for using the stock 18-55. I totally am with you on wanting to get a macro lens. That's something on my to-get list. For now I only have the kit lens on my old Rebel XT.

Doc, you're funny. The tank was all pissy with a 240gph koralia nano, a riptide? For your bathtub maybe. Who says you need thousands to have a jacuzzi.

BENNY nice pictures!!!!!! Such cute fish.

Yep lol.

5356117432_31e4cd9200_z_zps079c7af4.jpg

Wow... whose tank is this?

So I'm at a week and a day without a skimmer on the tank now - no mechanical filtration, no chemical filtration, either, no nutrient export. Just the ~60lbs of sand in the tank and the maybe 100lbs of rock I have among the display and sump (the center chamber of the trigger sump is absolutely stuffed to the brim with rock, I moved and rotated them until I could fit more, and more, and more, and then still stuck a few pieces in with the return pump lol). My tank has never looked this clear - ever. Even after a dose of KZ Coral Snow overnight, even when running a bigass bag of Purigen (almost 600mL) AND half a cup of ROX 0.8 carbon.

I like. :D

Wow. Ben, this tank looks incredible!!! Seriously, it looks amazing. Great pictures. Very cool to see a minimalist-esque tank that is rocking and gorgeous. Me likey.

Doc, you're funny. The tank was all pissy with a 240gph koralia nano, a riptide? For your bathtub maybe. Who says you need thousands to have a jacuzzi.

BENNY nice pictures!!!!!! Such cute fish.

Yeah, but the smallest one on a low setting would push water not in a solid jet stream but a spread wave. It'd be great :D

jedimasterben

The two pics of the clown, the first one he looks so derpy, the second he looks depressed :lol: I should photoshop a tear onto him.

Actually, I did one better. I photoshopped a tear that is crying onto him lol

clown%2520with%2520tear.jpg

Wow. Ben, this tank looks incredible!!! Seriously, it looks amazing. Great pictures. Very cool to see a minimalist-esque tank that is rocking and gorgeous. Me likey.

Thanks doc!

Yeah, but the smallest one on a low setting would push water not in a solid jet stream but a spread wave. It'd be great :D

I don't know how small the smallest one really is, and even on a low setting will move a ton of water. Keep in mind that they don't have a broad flow, they have a wide flow that is in a narrow wave. But who knows, hopefully we'll see a lot of hard numbers on them soon :)

I don't know how small the smallest one really is, and even on a low setting will move a ton of water. Keep in mind that they don't have a broad flow, they have a wide flow that is in a narrow wave. But who knows, hopefully we'll see a lot of hard numbers on them soon :)

Yeah, I mean obviously this is all wishful thinking. If the smallest one on the low setting works, then great. If it's too much based on numbers, I won't order one.

Man I've been debating over geting that leapord wrasse forever now I just don't want it to jump as I have no lid or netting. Nice fish btw

Archived