ReefCleaners.org

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

Lol, you could afford the shipping, but you couldn't afford the consequences.

I will put it in my empty 12g which has bryopsis. I want to see this super resistant dino you have created.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

I will put it in my empty 12g which has bryopsis. I want to see this super resistant dino you have created.

If that's the case, then I'll do you one better and send a straight sample.

If that's the case, then I'll do you one better and send a straight sample.

No no no, I have to save the coral from the garbage too! Then become a scientist and look for a cure.

dexter-s-lab-o.gif

jedimasterben

No no no, I have to save the coral from the garbage too! Then become a scientist and look for a cure.

dexter-s-lab-o.gif

Unfortunately they aren't a disease or something that can simply be changed by decreasing x or increasing y. I'm hesitant to even send a sample for identification to someone that studies them.

jedimasterben

There's probably two dozen frags and my remaining zoa colonies that could not be pulled from their rock that are already gone.

Played with the new extension ring.

One of my new daisies :wub:

IMG_7680.jpg

This was literally around 1/2" away from the front of hte lens.

IMG_7644.jpg

This was the absolute maximum focal distance with the 35mm extension. Anything beyond the hammer could not be brought into focus.

IMG_7662.jpg

I think the rest are using the 12mm extension.

IMG_7686.jpg

IMG_7696.jpg

Was playing with manual settings with a low ISO, but just turned out too dark. Need a better lens.

IMG_7704.jpg

A big out of focus, but this feather duster is gorgeous.

IMG_7741.jpg

I did an entire photoshoot of my big serpent star when I fed the tank earlier, but none of them turned out, even cranking up the exposure in Lightroom didn't help. Sigh. They were REALLY good macros, too.

If you're going toss coral at least send them flatrate box to me or Tamb. I've been dying to get the 10 gallon running again.

It really sucks to hear that the dinos are coming back. I was looking forward to seeing your tank progress.

jedimasterben

Under no circumstances would anyone want to deal with this pest, unless for some reason you enjoy watching corals, fish, and snails suffer and keel over. :huh:

I'm with Ben on this one, Dino is something I'd rather never, ever, ever deal with. Even if that meant taking in free corals. It might sound like a good idea but take it from Ben when he seriously urges against it.

bdevillier19

so ben, what lense and extension tube are you using? i've been tossing the idea of getting a macro lens but also though about extension tubes. do you have both?

jedimasterben

If they insist, I'll gladly pull some of the palys out and ship them over. In a few months, their livestock will be gone, the tanks will have been dismantled and they'd be cursing my name. Bad deal IMHO lol

Kit lens, the cheapest set of extension tubes on amazon that still pass through the autofocus signal. Works surprisingly well. Unfortunately, I really only shoot freehand, so all of my lenses that I get will need to have image stabilization and be really expensive lol

If you're looking for a cheap way to improve shots with the tubes buy a 50mm f1.8 - they're pretty much free they're so cheap and nice and sharp.

Just to add; macro and freehand are probably 2 words that don't go best together. :lol: I do it as well when I'm lazy but then I crank my ISO up.

NirvanaandTool

I gotta get me some of those tubes. Your shots there came out awesome.

I've always liked using a monopod for steadying shots instead of freehand. Not as stable as a tripod but more maneuverable.

jedimasterben

If you're looking for a cheap way to improve shots with the tubes buy a 50mm f1.8 - they're pretty much free they're so cheap and nice and sharp.

That's the lens I was considering purchasing next, they're so cheap - but no image stabilization and that may be a problem since I only shoot freehand and I'm pretty shaky.

Just to add; macro and freehand are probably 2 words that don't go best together. :lol: I do it as well when I'm lazy but then I crank my ISO up.

I have a tripod to use, but it's certainly not convenient and if I'm not in front of the tank then I can't get the shot lol.

I gotta get me some of those tubes. Your shots there came out awesome.

I've always liked using a monopod for steadying shots instead of freehand. Not as stable as a tripod but more maneuverable.

I've thought about a monopod, but like the shot of the daisy, it was less than 6" above the ground, and since the lens needed to be around 1.5" away from the flower, it wouldn't be likely that even a monopod could have helped lol.

jedimasterben

My hands still shake though lol, especially when I push the button. I have a little remote but it has never worked.

jedimasterben

If you're going toss coral at least send them flatrate box to me or Tamb. I've been dying to get the 10 gallon running again.

It really sucks to hear that the dinos are coming back. I was looking forward to seeing your tank progress.

Don't throw them in the garbage :(

If either of you had to guess, how long do you think that it would take for these strings to grow, which are causing these corals to close and will eventually kill them.

IMG_7744.jpg

IMG_7748.jpg

Apologies for the blurry pictures.

jedimasterben

That mat took less than two hours. The top of the Z. gigantus on the far right is ~2.5" below one of the MP40.

Archived