inTank Media Baskets

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They don't appear to be beyond saving though. The maxi minis were the Trojan horses right?

Why not try to Fw dip again?

jedimasterben

Too much work for no gain. The FW dips really didn't work. Dinos were always back within a week or so.

FW exposure kills the dinos, but the ones that are encysted are not affected.

jedimasterben

It's another experiment on how they deal with algae scrubbers and diatom growth via sodium silicate dosing. I've also been (secretly) dosing sodium ascorbate, which in the past caused an immediate bloom that blanketed the tank - that hasn't happened so far, and I've been dosing for a week or so now, and based on past tests it should have been wicked by this point.

That's crazy. Maybe you should switch it up and take the simple approach? I know it's hard for a person like yourself that tinkers, but I swear to you the best advice I ever got in the hobby was to keep it simple.

Ever since I started keeping it simple and keeping my hands out my tanks, things have been better. Even though i run zeovit now, I still try to keep it simple and not add too many things to the tank. I dose my zeo stuff, keep my alk and calcium where it should be, and that's it. Even though this zeo tank requires a little maintenance like carbon every month, stones every 8 weeks, ect. It's been pretty simple and stable. Hopefully I don't kick myself in the ass saying that though! Good luck.

Hope you get rid of those things and don't have to tear it all down.

jedimasterben

That's crazy. Maybe you should switch it up and take the simple approach? I know it's hard for a person like yourself that tinkers, but I swear to you the best advice I ever got in the hobby was to keep it simple.

What is a simple approach? I've tried doing nothing but topoff for weeks, no chemical filtration, no skimmer, only a small UV filter and light, and there was no change for months - that was the point of the quarantine tank that all my corals and old rock were held in. Dinoflagellates don't play by the rules. :(

Man that just sucks. I thought maybe u were dosing stuff, or doing something else.

I pray to the reef gods they never #### me over with those things.

jedimasterben

Benny, are those the frags I sent? :(

Some of them, yes. I'm not letting them get taken over, though, as much as possible anyway.

Man that just sucks. I thought maybe u were dosing stuff, or doing something else. I pray to the reef gods they never #### me over with those things.

Nope, not then, but it seems that nothing really makes a difference.

Ben - I hate to say it, but I'm going to side with you here. I think it's time to wipe the slate clean and start over with only your light :(

Dinos are extremely hardy. You could always trash the livestock, sand and rock, keep the light, bleach/muriatic acid the tank and equipment?

jedimasterben

If it gets back to that point, the only thing that won't get trashed is the light since it's the only thing that hasn't touched the water.

If it gets back to that point, the only that won't get trashed is the light since it's the only thing that hasn't touched the water.

If u have Dino's after that...call me...I have access to things that shoot and go boom ;)

If you accidentally splash water on the light.. you can send it to me... no problem friend ;)

Did you try raising the pH method yet?

Is it possible for you to try a diatom filter? You've tried everything else.

If u have Dino's after that...call me...I have access to things that shoot and go boom ;)

After watching Benny suffer I might have to take you up on that offer. :D

You know, to destress.

What is a simple approach? I've tried doing nothing but topoff for weeks, no chemical filtration, no skimmer, only a small UV filter and light, and there was no change for months - that was the point of the quarantine tank that all my corals and old rock were held in. Dinoflagellates don't play by the rules. :(

Rough. I've had them twice but they always went away eventually. That stuff is nasty.

jedimasterben

Oh heeeeyyyll yeah.

If you accidentally splash water on the light.. you can send it to me... no problem friend ;)

Did you try raising the pH method yet?

Yup, that was a false information that originally spread from a quote from Julian Sprung where he was talking about things that maybe work. (it doesn't lol)

Is it possible for you to try a diatom filter? You've tried everything else.

The more I thought about it, the more I feel that it is similar to running a UV filter - it can only help a small amount since not all of them are going to pass through it, and those that do not carry on their life cycle like normal. :/

I know it's blurry, but get over it, shooting at a 60 degree angle through glass doesn't really work.

IMG_7749.jpg

Rough. I've had them twice but they always went away eventually. That stuff is nasty.

They are unfortunately in a cyst stage of their life cycle because conditions in your tank are now unfavorable to them, and they'll wait until they drop back in line with what they like. :(

I know it's blurry, but get over it, shooting at a 60 degree angle through glass doesn't really work.

IMG_7749.jpg

They are unfortunately in a cyst stage of their life cycle because conditions in your tank are now unfavorable to them, and they'll wait until they drop back in line with what they like. :(

It was in a past tank so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Have those two little ones spawned yet?

jedimasterben

Have those two little ones spawned yet?

They're wayyy to young for that, and plus they just met, so they're awfully bitey :)

jedimasterben

Yep, she's playing hard to get :lol:

I also picked up a pair of itteh bitteh Springeri damsels. They're around 3/4" long and adorable.

Archived