Top Shelf Aquatics

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

bdevillier19

Really sorry to hear the Dino's are coming back. When you say get rid of everything that touched water, are you referring to all rock and sand or are you referring to equipment as well? A strong mix of hydrogen peroxide doesn't work either I'm assuming?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bdevillier19

So even if you empty the tank, clean with vinegar and let it air dry for a week or two they will still survive?

jedimasterben

Probably. The dinos that bloom in our tanks are toxic species, some make ciguatoxin, some make palytoxin, some make both, among others.

Probably. The dinos that bloom in our tanks are toxic species, some make ciguatoxin, some make palytoxin, some make both, among others.

Its a shame such that (palytoxin) a beautify stereo-rich molecule is so deadly.

jedimasterben

The sebae nem just detached. Weird. It's been looking a bit shrivelly compared to normal for the past couple of days. I think it may be because it had no sand, just rock. Normally they like to stick their foot through sand onto a rock, so I'm surprised it stayed put as long as it did.

What?

Wait... don't throw live fish in the garbage... now those you would really have to send me.

Nope, they'd need to go, as well.

jedimasterben

I don't believe that they necessarily 'deserve' to live (no animals, including us, have an inherent right to live, you live or you don't, things are never fair or not, they just are), but they will not simply be netted out and tossed in the garbage, they would be destroyed quickly if it ever comes to that.

Nothing in this tank, or that has ever been a part of it, will be taken out and put into other tanks. Even my nano system that I'm working on right now will never see any livestock or equipment that this one has seen, which sucks giant dicks since most of the extra live rock that I have in this tank now was meant to go into it.

I don't believe that they necessarily 'deserve' to live (no animals, including us, have an inherent right to live, you live or you don't, things are never fair or not, they just are), but they will not simply be netted out and tossed in the garbage, they would be destroyed quickly if it ever comes to that.

Nothing in this tank, or that has ever been a part of it, will be taken out and put into other tanks. Even my nano system that I'm working on right now will never see any livestock or equipment that this one has seen, which sucks giant dicks since most of the extra live rock that I have in this tank now was meant to go into it.

There has to be away to qt and treat live stock, it's worth a shot and frag them foward with a warning that they were in a dinos infested tank. Even a fish only tank would be good them and I'm sure some one would take them locally.

jedimasterben

There has to be away to qt and treat live stock, it's worth a shot and frag them foward with a warning that they were in a dinos infested tank. Even a fish only tank would be good them and I'm sure some one would take them locally.

I'm sure I could find people that would take them regardless of what was wrong with them - but I cannot in good faith let anything out of this system until I can verify that dinoflagellates are no longer in this system, which, unfortunately, will more than likely never happen.

You know what, I can't even say that I blame you. When I couldn't get my dc pump to stop leaking Im sure I could have sold it but it felt much better smashing it to pieces with a hammer.

Archived