ReefCleaners.org

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Maybe the dino would die.

Since they're a tropical species, yes, they would, but as would my fish, coral, inverts, etc that also are tropical.

Since they're a tropical species, yes, they would, but as would my fish, coral, inverts, etc that also are tropical.

ya but you won't have dino

I just realized - I placed my order for my Hawkwing conch on July 4th, 2012, got him that Friday, so I've had him almost two years!

IMG_7791.jpg

IMG_6867.jpg

IMG_6552.jpg

He's quite the acrobat :D

My guy is still going strong. And he still has a clean pink shell :). How long before he has some "character"? :lol:

I just realized - I placed my order for my Hawkwing conch on July 4th, 2012, got him that Friday, so I've had him almost two years!

IMG_7791.jpg

IMG_6867.jpg

IMG_6552.jpg

He's quite the acrobat :D

Awesome! Reminds me of my Sea hare, inverts are so cute!

jedimasterben

My guy is still going strong. And he still has a clean pink shell :). How long before he has some "character"? :lol:

About the same as live rock, maybe a little longer since they sometimes burrow in the sand and it rubs some of the stuff off of it.

NirvanaandTool

Wow you've had the conch that long? I've never had them live longer than a year or so. They were the only sand cleaners I could keep with my smashers back in my mantis shrimp days. They were too big to kill lol

argh, too big for my tank, I would have liked an aggressive sand bed stirrer.

I've tried a sand star twice and they didn't make it, not sure why. Errbady knows the sandbed is crazy dirty.

About the same as live rock, maybe a little longer since they sometimes burrow in the sand and it rubs some of the stuff off of it.

Yeah, mine likes to burrow in the sand. In fact, I just looked and saw this LOL....

post-25164-0-57550300-1404145011_thumb.jpeg

He's getting cleaned :).

jedimasterben

Cal 575ppm, alk 121ppm, mag 1400ppm, and strangely no silica reading at all. Dosed another 1.5mL silicate (which should bring my tank to ~1.5ppm, will test it again tomorrow.

jedimasterben

Very strange thing today. I come home and grab the turkey baster to blow the dinos off of everything, which is what I do every day wehn I get home... but there is nothing. No dino strings anywhere. I know they're not gone, there is no way in hell that could have happened, but wtf? I don't miss them, and hope that this is permanent, but I wish I knew why.

BENNY. TEST ALL YOUR PARAMETERS AGAIN.

I know you tested yesterday or whatever but you had dinos yesterday. Today you don't. Test every parameter you can test for. Post them up along with anything you may have been dosing and how much. Should the dinos come back, testing again might give us a clue. Maybe reaching whatever levels you have today of the parameters might keep them at bay. Don't forget temperature.

This is good.

jedimasterben

BENNY. TEST ALL YOUR PARAMETERS AGAIN.

I know you tested yesterday or whatever but you had dinos yesterday. Today you don't. Test every parameter you can test for. Post them up along with anything you may have been dosing and how much. Should the dinos come back, testing again might give us a clue. Maybe reaching whatever levels you have today of the parameters might keep them at bay. Don't forget temperature.

This is good.

I know what you're thinking, but it's completely unrelated. Testing doesn't change anything in the water. Nothing changed besides one feeding between then and now. There is nothing in cal/alk/mag that dinos are limited by, so there is no use in testing further simply to test other than give Red Sea more money lol.

That is to assume we know everything there is to know about dynos already. Surely you have more money invested in the tank than you do in red sea products. Kat's Idea is hopeful but not impossible.

Reading about your dino problem reminds me of the days when I used to keep discus. It felt more like work than a fun hobby. Spending big bucks on a microscope just to look at fish poop and scale cultures, never being able to get everything 100% healthy no matter how much water I changed and chemicals I dosed. I feel for ya bud.

Dinos are such will-suckers. Hopefully you don't have to figure out why they left and just be thankfully they are gone.

Totally agree that the PicO 5/NB combo is not a good choice if you aren't "all-in" on it. I'm planning an Mp-10 and about to order the shallow shield. That puts me just under $300 for the tank and PicO accessories. $450ish for the Mini w/ Blue Fish and $200ish for the MP-10 . $950 and I don't even had sand, rock, heater, test kits, ATO, skimmer, new RO/DI unit, etc etc. Plus I need a bluetooth speaker and webcam so that I can activated a thunderstorm and watch/listen to it halfway across the world at will. Because why else would I want a Blue Fish????

Maybe something happened on a bacterial/microscopic level? I would assume different bacteria would be competing for resources and space.

I know what you're thinking, but it's completely unrelated. Testing doesn't change anything in the water. Nothing changed besides one feeding between then and now. There is nothing in cal/alk/mag that dinos are limited by, so there is no use in testing further simply to test other than give Red Sea more money lol.

:slap:

LISTEN TO ME!

Archived