Top Shelf Aquatics

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

They look small, but maybe these guys don't attain a large size like scooters or mandarins. Mandarins get massive, like 1/4lb hot dog kinda massive, and scooters aren't that much smaller.

I also got a couple of new friends for everyone yesterday. :ninja:

Yeah, I was wondering why I haven't seen a large hotdog ruby scooter yet. Sounds like a good theory to me.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Cal is 575ppm, alk is 143ppm, and mag is 1500ppm. I did the mag test incorrectly last time, I need to use six drops of the primary reagent instead of five drops since my calcium is over 500ppm.

jedimasterben

IMG_8115.jpg

IMG_8136.jpg

IMG_8148.jpg

IMG_8155.jpg

IMG_8168.jpg

IMG_8169.jpg

IMG_8182.jpg

IMG_8193.jpg

IMG_8198.jpg

IMG_8200.jpg

IMG_8230.jpg

IMG_8238.jpg

IMG_8271.jpg

IMG_8278.jpg

IMG_8286.jpg

IMG_8312.jpg

IMG_8313.jpg

IMG_8317.jpg

IMG_8321.jpg

IMG_8330.jpg

IMG_8345.jpg

Looks like things are recovering a little mate. I have always been impressed with your variety of different fish.

jedimasterben

Looks like things are recovering a little mate. I have always been impressed with your variety of different fish.

Thanks! I've never been satisfied with just the 'normal' set of fish - clownfish, yellow tangs, etc, I always want to have a wide variety of things that aren't commonly seen. Only thing I don't like about this tilefish is that it has chosen its home inside the rock that the rubies do their mating dance from and if it swims out it disturbs them.

is this a shroom?

No, it is Stichodactylum sp., there is no species name or really any common name.

jedimasterben

This tank needs a fang blenny

Had one, it didn't like any flow in the tank. Probably just an outlier, though.

hypostatic

No, it is Stichodactylum sp., there is no species name or really any common name.

As in, it's not one of the common species?

jedimasterben
'Tilefish'...cool. Fingers crossed that this one stays put.

I put a second, offset layer of mesh in my top. This beyotch is staying in the tank whether it likes it or not :)

As in, it's not one of the common species?

No, this species is as of yet undescribed from the research I did. It is similar to the 'mini mini' anemone and only attains a size of around 1.5-2". 'Maxi mini' get around 6-7".

jedimasterben

So do you think that nem is the same species as this one?

ZKOC0KY.jpg

http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/116-Invert-of-the-Week-the-Mini-Carpet-Anemone

Pictured there is the 'mini mini' Stichodactyla sp. I do not believe that these are the same, not these red ones. The mini minis are not covered in tentacles like the maxi mini (which is actually Stichodactyla tapetum) and the mini red carpets with the green centers have far more tentacles and bright red pedal discs. As far as I know, the 'mini mini' is not officially described, either, though it would seem to be best put in the Stichodactyla genus.

How big do the red ones get? If it's bigger than the "mini minis", and smaller than the "maxi minis", it's only suitable that it be called "medi mini"

jedimasterben

How big do the red ones get? If it's bigger than the "mini minis", and smaller than the "maxi minis", it's only suitable that it be called "medi mini"

From reports, a maximum of 2", which is larger than the 'mini minis' get. Medi mini lol

Nice shots ben

Thanks! :)

Ben's is closer to a Haddoni 'look' in a teeny size. I might have to steal it, it is very pretty.

keep your grubby mitts off it <_<

jedimasterben

Finally got a picture of the snails that go bump in the night, Stomatella :)

IMG_8352.jpg

To the victor go the spoils.

IMG_8375.jpg

jedimasterben

How's the Tilefish doing Ben? I've heard that they are quite finicky, namely when solitary.

Doing well, eating like a pig, and is much less skittish when I'm around now. That damned thing can eat, it's mouth is massive. It tried to eat an entire cerith snail when I added some yesterday :eek:

Archived