Innovative Marine Aquariums

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Cal 575ppm

Alk 162ppm

Mag 1580ppm

Still been dosing 20mL of sodium carbonate solution every morning. Alk is coming up wayyy slower than it should be, though. But hey, slow n steady, I guess.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Also cleaned the skimmer cup and neck yesterday, it certainly needed it. I forgot that I adjusted it all the way down when it was overflowing, so it didn't really pull much skimmate, but the neck was THICK with sludge.

Scraped off the algae scrubber screen.

IMG_20140713_163136816.jpg

It has a lot of diatoms on it, and it had two patches of very, very thick turf algae that resembled cladophora, the rest of it was this bubbly bacterial sludge. Lightly scrubbed it off and put her back in, and I also reduced the light from 16 hours to 12 hours to see if that helps with growth - I may have been giving way too much light. Yes, you can give algae too much light, too ;)

In other news, on Thursday I got some corals from Reefgardener. Two maxi minis (one was a freebie, but it was a clone that I already got from her about a year ago or so), a stylophora, a birdsnest, a monti. I had also ordered one :ninja: coral that she was out of and didn't have anything similar, and the hammer that I ordered didn't look all that hot so she sent me some sort of frogspawn/hammer hybrid, though it had flesh peeling off when I got it, and as of yesterday one head was gone, the remaining two had no polyp extension and were losing tentacles.

IMG_8403.jpg

IMG_8411.jpg

IMG_8418.jpg

IMG_8421.jpg

The froggy/hammer thing now :( (and my favia that I got at the last swap, I made it recede from too much light, and it's getting cyano on it keeping it from recovering, but hey, it's better than dinos)

IMG_8482.jpg

In little kitty news, Clyde and Bubbles are coming around to tinycat, slowly. Still hissing a lot, but they're at least coming out from under the bed and eating, etc, and they're getting closer to her and watching. This seems to be her favorite spot to sleep.

IMG_20140711_222546947.jpg

In flower news, all my daisies are doing well, but I've been unable to source any more of them to fill up the flower box, I think I still need another 30 plants or so. My sunflowers are all doing well, or were until Saturday when a massive storm hit and knocked them all over.

IMG_20140705_094654587.jpg

IMG_20140706_101311886.jpg

IMG_20140706_101318967.jpg

IMG_20140706_101327898.jpg

IMG_20140706_101358476.jpg

IMG_20140712_094722218.jpg

IMG_20140713_083301808.jpg

jedimasterben

I vote for more crotch shots.

;)

I really like the look of that birdsnest.

Me too, I love birdsnests but have never been able to keep them before, hopefully that has changed!

;)

Me too, I love birdsnests but have never been able to keep them before, hopefully that has changed!

What gave u trouble with the birdnest? I have never been able to keep them. It's crazy that I have a tank full of high end sps, but I can't keep a birdsnest.

I killed my birdsnest somehow. It started to grow and sprouted some branches then all of a sudden the polyps bailed out starting in the middle of the colony.

jedimasterben

What gave u trouble with the birdnest? I have never been able to keep them. It's crazy that I have a tank full of high end sps, but I can't keep a birdsnest.

2013_02_16__20_21_421.jpg

Mostly, anyway. I had montis and a big stylo growing. Not sure why birdsnests didn't.

I killed my birdsnest somehow. It started to grow and sprouted some branches then all of a sudden the polyps bailed out starting in the middle of the colony.

Probably needed more flow.

I am having problems with 1 of my birdsnest too. The acro's are all fine, they are encrusting. I don't get it.

Hey fellow garden lover :D. Wish I had some space for sunflowers :wub:. You should plant some hollyhocks..they are a classic garden flower and are super easy to grow from seed. You'd have to plant them in the spring though. I planted some seeds a few weeks ago and they are sprouting, but I doubt they'll get big enough to bloom this year.

What kind of birdsnest is the new one? I love the colors on it.

jedimasterben

Hey fellow garden lover :D. Wish I had some space for sunflowers :wub:. You should plant some hollyhocks..they are a classic garden flower and are super easy to grow from seed. You'd have to plant them in the spring though. I planted some seeds a few weeks ago and they are sprouting, but I doubt they'll get big enough to bloom this year.

It's summer for 11.5 out of 12 months of the year, so I can probably plant them any time lol. I've seen them before at the place I've been getting all my flowers and such from.

What kind of birdsnest is the new one? I love the colors on it.

Seriatopora hystrix

jedimasterben

So my tang has almost finished changing into its adult coloration. The tail is still yellow and the body is not quite the deep maroon red that it will get to, but the body has no yellow left.

Sorry to hear about the issue with Birdsnests, those were one of the corals I looked forward to being able to have the most. Mine still seems good, but I've only had it for about 2 months to far.

jedimasterben

That was an old pic above, hopefully that is all behind me now! Just be sure that as yours grow that you increase the flow hitting them, or the insides of it will begin to die back.

Will do. It seems to grow away from the direction the flow comes from, so I have started to rotate it just a bit every couple of weeks. I think one of my emerald crabs has noticed and started turning it back. I may need to set up a webcam.

jedimasterben

Picked up two neon gobies (Elacatinus oceanops) and two Caribbean sailfin blennies (Emblemaria pandionis) and spent less than I spent on a fairly cheap dinner with my wife. :)

jedimasterben

I was interested in the sailfin gobies but I've yet to see one in store. They look like a cool addition.

They're really funny to watch. They'll puff up and flare their fins and open their mouths reeeeeaally wide at each other. All the time. It's hilarious. And they only get a little less than 2" long. Basically like this, but with more finnage lol

Emblemaria_pandionis.jpg

And when I put them in, the tilefish was eyeballing one like it was gonna eat it before it hit the rocks. :blink:

My bluehead wrasse does the same thing to new additions. It's only little smaller than the size of a cigar but it's the most aggressive feeder in the tank.

I was worried about the angel nipping but the wrasse is the biggest offender

jedimasterben

Just watched my stomatella snails spawning. Tried to get a pic or two of it, but it was next to impossible from the angle I had to try for. But here are a couple of pics of some other stuff.

IMG_8488.jpg

IMG_8508.jpg

Picked up two neon gobies (Elacatinus oceanops) and two Caribbean sailfin blennies (Emblemaria pandionis) and spent less than I spent on a fairly cheap dinner with my wife. :)

Lucky, LFS here wants $31 bucks for 1 neon goby. :furious:

jedimasterben

Lucky, LFS here wants $31 bucks for 1 neon goby. :furious:

gheyyyyyyyyyyy.

Ouch. They're like $15-$20 at my LFS.

wat.

IMG_8518.jpg

IMG_8522.jpg

IMG_8525.jpg

IMG_8529.jpg

IMG_8560.jpg

IMG_8569.jpg

hmmm but def a different species from the "mini minis"?

well, if it ever splits, put me on the list ;)

I call them mini carpet nems because no one seems to know what they are.

Archived