Coral Vue Hydros

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

That is to assume we know everything there is to know about dynos already. Surely you have more money invested in the tank than you do in red sea products. Kat's Idea is hopeful but not impossible.

There is relatively little data on dinoflagellates in aquaria, but what is known that there really is no correlation with anything they do, except for carbon sources fueling growth, and limiting input of CO2 can stunt growth, both temporarily. Cal/alk/mag dosing in SPS tanks still have dinoflgellate blooms if toxic species are introduced and find conditions 'favorable' if the species is one that forms cysts (some do not). Unfortunately, home aquaria seem to always exhibit these favorable conditions, probably why our corals grow so well (as they rely on dinoflagellates for their survival). :)

Reading about your dino problem reminds me of the days when I used to keep discus. It felt more like work than a fun hobby. Spending big bucks on a microscope just to look at fish poop and scale cultures, never being able to get everything 100% healthy no matter how much water I changed and chemicals I dosed. I feel for ya bud.

Dinos are such will-suckers. Hopefully you don't have to figure out why they left and just be thankfully they are gone.

Yeah, it's definitely trying. Luckily I'm too hard-headed to give up or else all of this would be gone. :)

Totally agree that the PicO 5/NB combo is not a good choice if you aren't "all-in" on it. I'm planning an Mp-10 and about to order the shallow shield. That puts me just under $300 for the tank and PicO accessories. $450ish for the Mini w/ Blue Fish and $200ish for the MP-10 . $950 and I don't even had sand, rock, heater, test kits, ATO, skimmer, new RO/DI unit, etc etc. Plus I need a bluetooth speaker and webcam so that I can activated a thunderstorm and watch/listen to it halfway across the world at will. Because why else would I want a Blue Fish????

:)

Maybe something happened on a bacterial/microscopic level? I would assume different bacteria would be competing for resources and space.

Possible. Maybe even viral. Who knows. The cause was something in the local waters, maybe I should go back and actually collect water and sand and see if I can introduce their natural control.

:slap:

LISTEN TO ME!

Can't make me. :P

Fingers crossed that the Dinos are truly gone.

They aren't (just being realistic), but it is nice to have a respite of sorts :)

Ben.... What do you feed, how often, and how?

Just poking at yer Dino' issue.

It's irrelevant unfortunately. Dinoflagellates seem to consider conditions 'most favorable' when in a low-nutrient system.

pismo_reefer

That's great....

But, I'm considering either, Phosphate/Silicites in a particular food (or item in your tank for that matter.)

Or, some type of reaction between two things in your tank, i.e.,

one stable object and one 'introduced' object, such as food or h2o.

I know Dino's only care about Silcates and Phosphate.

EDIT: Do you dose Peroxide?

It's irrelevant unfortunately. Dinoflagellates seem to consider conditions 'most favorable' when in a low-nutrient system.

jedimasterben

That's great....

But, I'm considering either, Phosphate/Silicites in a particular food (or item in your tank for that matter.)

You're confusing dinoflagellates with diatoms, common misconception. Sodium silicate is being dosed to this tank and has no reaction from the dinoflagellates. Phosphorus is needed by all living things, but dinos are not limited by them, else they would not do so well in low-nutrient environments.

This isn't a very long thread, but it is packed with information on dinoflagellates, mostly from user 'Pants'. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2307000

Raising your nitrates fairly high is supposed to help kill off dinos. I've never had to deal with them and hope that I don't have to either.

That's great....

EDIT: Do you dose Peroxide

He's been dosing silica, but that's only been recently. His Dinos have been around for a year

jedimasterben

Raising your nitrates fairly high is supposed to help kill off dinos. I've never had to deal with them and hope that I don't have to either.

The reason for that is that higher algae forms should in theory take over, and that's what I was originally hoping for. This species, though, doesn't seem to much care. I've tried making an algae scrubber, however, I cannot get anything to grow on it at all other than dinos, not even diatoms seem to be sticking to the screen. Even when I did not have the skimmer on the tank, or for the week that my new skimmer didn't do anything but overflow, no algae popped up anywhere that I could find, and dinos still ran rampant. :/

He's been dosing silica, but that's only been recently. His Dinos have been around for a year

Longer than that.

pismo_reefer
You're confusing dinoflagellates with diatoms, common misconception. Sodium silicate is being dosed to this tank and has no reaction from the dinoflagellates. Phosphorus is needed by all living things, but dinos are not limited by them, else they would not do so well in low-nutrient environments.

This isn't a very long thread, but it is packed with information on dinoflagellates, mostly from user 'Pants'. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2307000'>http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2307000

Derp... I was, too.

jedimasterben

Yes, I have - there is a lot of misinformation and a lack of real identification (and some misidentification), but there is some advice in there, but no cure. There is no cure.

I think that my issue may possibly be in a recession of sorts. Since my last post on not seeing any large strands, I've only seen one string a couple of days ago. My gorgonian has had no growth on it (gorgonian tissue is the first target of this species of dinos) and has had polyp extension 24/7. I'm starting to have a little hope that conditions have become unfavorable to them.

jedimasterben

So Samsung is releasing their newest SSD line, the 850 Pro, on the 21st. I've had a 250GB 840 Pro in my main computer for a little over a year now, and I love it to death. I'm wanting to upgrade my work laptop (Alienware M14x) to an SSD, has a 500GB Hitachi drive in it now. I have been looking at the Samsung 840 Evo series, which is a bit newer than the 840 Pro and uses a different type of NAND storage, but it appears that the 840 Pro is typically still better in performance. Cost of the 256GB 840 Evo is around $130, the 840 Pro is still around $190, so I'd save $60 and have around the same performance since I'm really only interested in faster response times, and anything is an improvement. But with the 850 Pro being released, and costing about the same as the 840 Pro, I'm thinking I'll just upgrade my desktop to the 850 and use the 840 in my laptop.

EDIT: Realized that my SSD at home is the regular 840, not the 840 Pro. Whoops lol.

KITTEH!

About the dino's, I sent robotic Trilobites to infect the algae with various "diseases", so they'll be gone for a while :happy:

jedimasterben

KITTEH!

About the dino's, I sent robotic Trilobites to infect the algae with various "diseases", so they'll be gone for a while :happy:

:lol:

You're thebomb.org

The Samsung 840 Pro is a fantastic piece of kit, I have sold quite a few over the last 12 months or so. I was speaking to the local Samsung rep the other day and he was going to try and organise a few demo products from their new range for me. I'm still rocking one of the original OCZ Vertex 2's, I'm looking to upgrade to the OCZ Vector 150. I don't need much capacity as I only use the SSD to dual boot windows and run some key programs.

jedimasterben

The Samsung 840 Pro is a fantastic piece of kit, I have sold quite a few over the last 12 months or so. I was speaking to the local Samsung rep the other day and he was going to try and organise a few demo products from their new range for me. I'm still rocking one of the original OCZ Vertex 2's, I'm looking to upgrade to the OCZ Vector 150. I don't need much capacity as I only use the SSD to dual boot windows and run some key programs.

The 128GB model would probably be good for me, but I like having the extra space the 250GB gives me, I can load a bunch of games to it and still not be at capacity. :)

Cheers to the rubies banging! Now you need to post up the pictures in the mandy thread

But that is a mandarin thread :P

jedimasterben

They look small, but maybe these guys don't attain a large size like scooters or mandarins. Mandarins get massive, like 1/4lb hot dog kinda massive, and scooters aren't that much smaller.

I also got a couple of new friends for everyone yesterday. :ninja:

Archived