Top Shelf Aquatics

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

I put in around 200mL of Phosguard and replaced the ~100mL of ROX carbon last night. Hopefully that helps keep the cyano at bay.

The skimmer had around an inch of dark skimmate in the cup. Boo-yah!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems that every time I go off for a night I come back and shit hits the fan. Maybe I should just never leave my house lol

You too huh

NirvanaandTool

Sorry to hear about the fish losses man. That's always tough to lose a healthy looking fish like that. I've had 2 of those weird deaths this year to previously quarantined and prophylactically treated fish too. It's a big letdown.

Smart thinking on that deep clean. Probably got tons of detritus out doing that.

jedimasterben

Went and picked up a gigantormous box of corals from kat yesterday, had to have them shipped to a post office around an hour away just so I could get next day delivery, but it went well. Good jeebus! She even gave me a piece of the infamous 'katropora'. Fingers crossed everyone! It's got polyp extension still, so that's a good sign :)

Seriously, she's the best. I'll try and get some pics of the stuff tomorrow, but I've been building closet shelving the past two days, and still a crapton of work to be done.

IMG_20140809_213331398.jpg

IMG_20140809_213340918.jpg

IMG_20140809_213347031.jpg

Used the leftover piece of plywood to make shelves for the mancave/tank room.
IMG_20140809_131643888.jpg

jedimasterben

aww Kat is such a sweetie :D

Yeah, she sends me coralz, I send her lightz, win win. Plus she's just plain cool :)

60% loss of fish is crazy!! :(

Yeah, it sucks. Definitely a lot less movement in the tank now. Still thinking of just getting a dozen chromis or something and letting the battle royale commence, but it would sure be a flash of color for a while!

jedimasterben

Besides being frighteningly expensive for anything other than standard orange and even worse in the 'fight to the death' category lol

jedimasterben

Pffttt... get enough and it'll be fine!

Less expensive than your other fish if they stay alive!

Not really, considering that each clownfish will be $40-500 lol

Get a shat ton of Cardinalfish!

Nah. They don't live all that long. Thinking about a bunch more springeri damsels though. I can get them for like $3 or so.

I should fly you over to work on my closets! Dang.

It didn't take a long time, and it's not difficult, you just have to have the right tools, take it easy with your cuts, and be patient.

$40 alive fish is better than a $40 dead fish!

Our Petco has cheap designers from ORA. Gotta sell them fast before Petco kills them!

Either way, you don't have any clowns right? At least even 1 pair wouldn't die unless you managed to pick a pair with brook.

jedimasterben

$40 alive fish is better than a $40 dead fish!

Our Petco has cheap designers from ORA. Gotta sell them fast before Petco kills them!

Either way, you don't have any clowns right? At least even 1 pair wouldn't die unless you managed to pick a pair with brook.

I have a black and white clown. And clownfish aren't the only fish that can be carriers for brooklynella.

I have a black and white clown. And clownfish aren't the only fish that can be carriers for brooklynella.

Well yah. I just meant brook is a fast killer.

Sounds like she needs a orange and white clown buddy!

Not really, considering that each clownfish will be $40-500 lol

Nah. They don't live all that long. Thinking about a bunch more springeri damsels though. I can get them for like $3 or so.

It didn't take a long time, and it's not difficult, you just have to have the right tools, take it easy with your cuts, and be patient.

True. Are there any smaller soles/flounder species that might work? Or a harem of clowns.

jedimasterben

True. Are there any smaller soles/flounder species that might work? Or a harem of clowns.

No, flounders are badass but they grow pretty quickly and are predators.

jedimasterben

Had to adjust the skimmer yesterday, it decided to overflow just a hair, but it's probably not fully broken in yet. Pulling some nasty skimmate.

I regret putting a pair of ORA gold nugget maroons in my clam grow out tank. They will not stop knocking over anything that is possible to knock over. One even picked up a small 1.5" clam and swam around the tank with it.

NirvanaandTool

Yeah, she sends me coralz, I send her lightz, win win. Plus she's just plain cool :)

Yeah, it sucks. Definitely a lot less movement in the tank now. Still thinking of just getting a dozen chromis or something and letting the battle royale commence, but it would sure be a flash of color for a while!

Now there's an idea.

Better get a mantis or some other predator to clean up the losers in the battle royale to avoid unsightly carcasses on the sandbed. Not kidding this is how my old mantis used to pick off my old chromis. Wait for them to bully one into submission and then pick off the weakling. Brutal but smart.

jedimasterben

I regret putting a pair of ORA gold nugget maroons in my clam grow out tank. They will not stop knocking over anything that is possible to knock over. One even picked up a small 1.5" clam and swam around the tank with it.

Yeah, my wife wants maroon clowns, but I keep telling her nope! Not gonna happen lol

Now there's an idea.

Better get a mantis or some other predator to clean up the losers in the battle royale to avoid unsightly carcasses on the sandbed. Not kidding this is how my old mantis used to pick off my old chromis. Wait for them to bully one into submission and then pick off the weakling. Brutal but smart.

If any fish dies, its body is completely gone within 12 hours or so. I'm surprised that I found my tang after it died, it literally must have died as I was walking into the house.

Archived