Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Looks really good ben

Nice scape!

Thanks!

diggin the mini dusters, I am working on finding some good seed rocks at my lfs with them among various other hitch hikers dry rock fails to come with.

If your local stores are anything like the dozen or so that I've been to, you're better off ordering a small amount from somewhere like KPA. Their 10lb special is $55 with shipping, ask them for uncured rock, and have some Prime or Alpha handy when you get it to keep it from having unnecessary dieoff. :)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly

Yo Ben, what is the blue and yellow fish you have? Im ignorant to most all fish, as I've only owned 5ish fish in 6ish years of having tanks. Im really digging it and looking for fish, as the Boss says I need some.

jedimasterben

Yo Ben, what is the blue and yellow fish you have? Im ignorant to most all fish, as I've only owned 5ish fish in 6ish years of having tanks. Im really digging it and looking for fish, as the Boss says I need some.

I think you mean this one?

IMG_8862.jpg

Siganus doliatus, aka the scribbled rabbitfish. Rabbitfish are awesome, but they get very large (the smallest species average to 6-8", largest get 16") and have venomous spines. :o

NirvanaandTool

Looking good Ben. Tank looks great after that deep clean session. Motivates me to do a water change on my tank.

Sucks about the chromis. They are delicate fish. I've never had good luck with them.

jedimasterben

Tried to get a good pic of this butterfly (a female Papilio polyxenes)

IMG_8962.jpg

Shrimpidy

IMG_8986.jpg

The moss growing in the pic on the driftwood sat in a bucket with no water movement or light, and had another bucket sitting on top of it, for at least 3 months - within a few weeks of being in the tank it is regrowing!

IMG_8992.jpg

IMG_8994.jpg

Sucks about the chromis. I just lost another 1 today also. Tom makes it a week since buying them, so I lost 2 in a week. At this rate they wont even make it out of qt.

Your 80's looking great! Glad you got that nuisance algae under control, so happy for you!

DANG, your planted looks good too! My 5.5 looks like a darn swamp :huh:

jedimasterben

Your 80's looking great! Glad you got that nuisance algae under control, so happy for you!

DANG, your planted looks good too! My 5.5 looks like a darn swamp :huh:

In the picture, all of the (thankfully, now dying) black brush algae isn't showing up lol. The tank was pretty horrific until a few weeks ago. I cleaned the glass panels with a magic eraser, pulled out all the dead moss covering the driftwood, trimmed as much off of the plants as I could, and started dosing Seachem Fluorish Excel every once in a while (whenever I remember, I'm really bad at it, and overdose by quite a bit when I do remember), and the algae is dying off. I added a bunch of Neocaridina shrimp to eat the dying algae and then after all the cleaning, changed the filter floss and dosed a bunch of KZ Coral Snow - the tank was so clear, nothing at all was in the water, I could see straight through the panel, the guppies looked like they were floating!

Oh, and remember earlier today when I told you that my rabbitfish surprisingly doesn't try and eat any of my pink galaxy macro? He just started :angry:

There were two very tiny, clear spongy masses on the bottom of that plug, they may be S. maculatus eggs or more of those mushies, but I think there might be another one on the other side of the plug.

whats a maculatus?

jedimasterben

whats a maculatus?

Strombus maculatus, aka 'nano conchs'.

So, this happened.

IMG_20140904_175249971.jpg

The porcelain crab literally got swallowed up by it when they were bagging it up, so I got a freebie :D

IMG_20140904_212223929.jpg

IMG_20140904_212237809.jpg

IMG_20140904_212314230.jpg

Also came home with a tiny maroon clown. Hopefully my black/white clown gets ultra aggressive and becomes the female so that the maroon stays tiny, it's adorable.

My 'DIY Vortech foam covers' look ghetto as shit, right? :lol:

I also added another 20lbs or so of sand, some of my old stuff that I bleached for a couple of weeks, rinsed the shit out of, then soaked for a few days in a very strong Aquavitro Alpha solution to make sure.

jedimasterben

New anemone is great man. What settings do you run your lights at?

I don't remember lol. Pretty high on all channels.

So this new is really really big. It moved onto the top of the center rock, and it covers the entire thing. Pretty sure its gonna kill all the zoas on the rock and my gorg if I don't move them lol

Those ruby reds are sweet

But even in large tanks with large natural food populations they don't have a great track record. :(

So this new is really really big. It moved onto the top of the center rock, and it covers the entire thing. Pretty sure its gonna kill all the zoas on the rock and my gorg if I don't move them lol

Hah, yah man, it's amazing how anemones can expand. :lol:

Archived