SaltCritters.com

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

Almost ordered this same tank, but the guy at the LFS showed me a Elos 120 in the back.. couldn't resist.. very clean, Ben. Don't know if I regret not getting the same dimensions, yet.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost ordered this same tank, but the guy at the LFS showed me a Elos 120 in the back.. couldn't resist.. very clean, Ben. Don't know if I regret not getting the same dimensions, yet.

I really like this tank, the only thing I think I would change would be the depth, instead of 24" I'd go all out and go 36" :)

So you are just doing single side lit and getting good growth just hanging the screen off the side of the tank? Looks pretty simple.

Yep, couldn't be simpler. Well, I guess it could, I could just use a CFL instead of the LED array lol, but yeah, I get fantastic growth from it.

NirvanaandTool

Dang. I had no idea scrubbers could be that basic. I thought they had to be upflow or waterfall. Time to take some old LEDs I've got lying around and build a scrubber! All I need are some reds, got plenty of rb's. Thanks Ben!

Dang. I had no idea scrubbers could be that basic. I thought they had to be upflow or waterfall. Time to take some old LEDs I've got lying around and build a scrubber! All I need are some reds, got plenty of rb's. Thanks Ben!

Nope, they don't have to be exquisite or anything, just gotta have good light and good flow and something for the algae to attach to.

NirvanaandTool

Nope, they don't have to be exquisite or anything, just gotta have good light and good flow and something for the algae to attach to.

Good to know. I always ruled one out on this tank. Would a powerhead pointed at the screen have enough flow? Right now I just have a small 300gph pump powering my fuge section but not sure that's enough.

I have to measure how much room I have around my fuge section in my stand and see what sort of HS I can fit there for a scrubber.

Good to know. I always ruled one out on this tank. Would a powerhead pointed at the screen have enough flow? Right now I just have a small 300gph pump powering my fuge section but not sure that's enough.

I have to measure how much room I have around my fuge section in my stand and see what sort of HS I can fit there for a scrubber.

Well, moar flow is always moar bettar. How is your fuge set up? Does it have normal flow from the sump or is it a completely separate section?

lol at seeing this on marinedepots home page

Sept 5, 2014

"Marine Depot is the bizzomb."

jedimasterben

I filled out another survey, so check that section over the next few days and see if the new one made it in, it's better :lol:

NirvanaandTool

Separate section. Trigger Systems 36 Crystal Elite so it has that separate flow through fuge - I just have it run by a small secondary pump rather than t'ing off the return pump or running a drain to it.

Separate section. Trigger Systems 36 Crystal Elite so it has that separate flow through fuge - I just have it run by a small secondary pump rather than t'ing off the return pump or running a drain to it.

Ok, I see what you are saying. 300GPH probably isn't enough. I have my drain (which is probably pushing around 350-400GPH) and then a 1400GPH Koralia 4 in that section pointed directly at the screen. It doesn't necessarily need the 1400GPH, I could get away with probably another 300ish, but in this case, more is better.

I would honestly just T off the return pump, that way you eliminate one pump from your system, less is sometimes better :)

NirvanaandTool

Yea 300 sounded good when it was just chaeto in there. I need to think about the idea and figure out what to do. I could always toss a spare Koralia in there like you've got cause who doesn't have a spare Koralia or 3 - or tee off the return pump. First thing's first, I need to figure out the space I've got for lighting. If lighting the thing isn't feasible due to insufficient space, this is all for naught.

So yesterday I got in my Two Little Fishies Magfeeder from Aquacave (Marine depot didn't have it up on their site until like last week that I could see). It's not 100% what I expected, as the plastic arm and joints are flimsy as hell, and the whole thing is quite a bit larger than I had expected (though I'm not sure what I expected lol). Overall, though, it does just what it is supposed to, keeps food from flowing right out of the tank and lets it saturate and make its way into the water column slowly. My chromis all already know what it is for and don't want to leave it lol

IMG_20140915_170456308.jpg

IMG_20140915_171723313.jpg

IMG_20140915_171733866.jpg

Also, Bubbles is cute

IMG_20140910_211048651.jpg

and Clyde likes diet vanilla Coke apparently lol

IMG_20140910_205608456.jpg

my chromis loves my feeder too.. he swims right under it waiting for food if I'm standing by the tank, the clowns will go up to it pretty readily if there is food in it, and the rest of the fish kind of wait for the food to sink.. definitely helps stop food from going down the overflow and being wasted.. that TLF one is interesting.. mine is blue foam with a suction cup made by ocean nutrition, yours looks a little nicer.

You know, I came to your thread just now to ask you if you ever got the magfeeder and that you thought of it. I was just going to reorder mine. Does it appear to have the magnets safely sealed up? I know that TLF had a lot of issues on their first veggiemags with the magnets rusting up. Just curious what the build quality of the magnet housing is like.

So yesterday I got in my Two Little Fishies Magfeeder from Aquacave (Marine depot didn't have it up on their site until like last week that I could see). It's not 100% what I expected, as the plastic arm and joints are flimsy as hell, and the whole thing is quite a bit larger than I had expected (though I'm not sure what I expected lol). Overall, though, it does just what it is supposed to, keeps food from flowing right out of the tank and lets it saturate and make its way into the water column slowly. My chromis all already know what it is for and don't want to leave it lol

IMG_20140915_170456308.jpg

IMG_20140915_171723313.jpg

IMG_20140915_171733866.jpg

Also, Bubbles is cute

IMG_20140910_211048651.jpg

and Clyde likes diet vanilla Coke apparently lol

IMG_20140910_205608456.jpg

You know, I came to your thread just now to ask you if you ever got the magfeeder and that you thought of it. I was just going to reorder mine. Does it appear to have the magnets safely sealed up? I know that TLF had a lot of issues on their first veggiemags with the magnets rusting up. Just curious what the build quality of the magnet housing is like.

See the white piece on the far right of it? That's a little piece of paperish stuff that covers the magnet. More than likely it will break down in saltwater and expose the magnet, the glue is not all that strong, I was able to pull it right off with no problems.

See the white piece on the far right of it? That's a little piece of paperish stuff that covers the magnet. More than likely it will break down in saltwater and expose the magnet, the glue is not all that strong, I was able to pull it right off with no problems.

Hmm, it seems like TLF has not learned from their previous mistakes on this one. I don't know why they don't incase the magnet in plastic or some kind of resin? It wouldn't be that hard/expensive and would be so much nicer! I know their argument for the veggiemag feeders that that they were not originally meant to stay permanently in the tank, but who wants to keep taking stuff out of the tank like that? With this product, clearly it is supposed to stay in the tank 24/7. It is disappointing they haven't changed it at all.

Hmm, it seems like TLF has not learned from their previous mistakes on this one. I don't know why they don't incase the magnet in plastic or some kind of resin? It wouldn't be that hard/expensive and would be so much nicer! I know their argument for the veggiemag feeders that that they were not originally meant to stay permanently in the tank, but who wants to keep taking stuff out of the tank like that? With this product, clearly it is supposed to stay in the tank 24/7. It is disappointing they haven't changed it at all.

Hooray for shitty non-sealed magnets!

NirvanaandTool

So that's a no to a VeggieMag. Good to know for future reference....

It's dead no leaves!

No, the gorgonian is alive, it's just reacting to being covered in dinoflagellate slime and/or the toxins they produce.

Archived