Pod Your Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

That's only at 20%? Dear god these things are powerful. I wonder if a 35W would be better for the 100G and under group of tanks. No sense buying a 50W if you can only turn it up a 1/4 of the way.

It was really cool to see the whole water column moving though. Your fish don't seem to mind the increased flow but I wonder how a perching fish (blenny, hawk, lion, etc) would be in it.

I've got a pair of mandarins in the tank, along with a sailfin blenny, they're fine with it. Remember that they come from reefs where there's insane amounts of laminar flow all the time ;)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice video, Ben. I'm super jelly that you got one to test out. I bet my SPS would love a smaller version. It will be interesting what they come up with at the final release.

jedimasterben

Why is that middle flower in the last picture looking like a gremlin. A pretty gremlin. But still a gremlin?

Looks like two heads fused together when they were coming up :)

Oh, and turns out it is kosher to share tank pics even with the Gyre, she's fair game now :)

IMG_20141001_211007271.jpg

IMG_20141001_214103403.jpg

Sorry for the extreme blue, my phone wouldn't cooperate with me. I'll try and get some with the DSLR this weekend, I've got a shipment of gorgonians coming from KPA tomorrow :)

jedimasterben

My LFS got a demo Gyre, but it will not turn on for them. Still sweet to see it in person since I did not make it to MACNA

I didn't know that they were sending any at this point, one of the things I was told that it could not be used at local stores, etc.

So... replaced the MP40's with a Gyre?

Yep

I didn't know that they were sending any at this point, one of the things I was told that it could not be used at local stores, etc.

Yep

I am thinking about doing the same when available but my cube is only 24". Hoping there is one an appropriate size for it.

One of my LFS had an anniversary bash with

Julian Sprung

Tony Vargas
Justin Credabel
Mr. Saltwater Tank Guy Mark Callahan
Mitch Carl

As I said the demo one they got did not turn on, so not sure if they removed all the internal parts and they just got a shell to show it off this past weekend.

jedimasterben

I am thinking about doing the same when available but my cube is only 24". Hoping there is one an appropriate size for it.

There are three models, 35w, 50w, 70w. Output of them should be fairly linear, but there isn't any data on the other models' flow.

One of my LFS had an anniversary bash with

Julian Sprung

Tony Vargas

Justin Credabel

Mr. Saltwater Tank Guy Mark Callahan

Mitch Carl

As I said the demo one they got did not turn on, so not sure if they removed all the internal parts and they just got a shell to show it off this past weekend.

Very interesting, you'd figure that for a get-together they'd send a working unit lol :)

FTS 8/31/2014

IMG_8800.jpg

IMG_8802.jpg

IMG_8906.jpg

How are the mini carpets doing? The micro-mini I got a month ago has balooned up to the size of a silver dollar! Should be splitting any day now....

IMG_9137.jpg

Yay hermit crab love

jedimasterben

How are the mini carpets doing? The micro-mini I got a month ago has balooned up to the size of a silver dollar! Should be splitting any day now....

Maxi minis are always doing very well, even I can't kill them, and damnit I've tried. Salinity 60ppt, get em too hot, get em too cold, dino toxins, etc :)

The mini mini red carpet moved on me and is now chilling out on the opposite side of the tank on the overflow. Go figure lol

jedimasterben

Comparing the 11 speeds of the 50w Gyre, with power consumption.

The nem moved to the front of the rock it was on instead of being on the back, so now it is rubbing on the gorgonian that is there. Hopefully now that I've put flow back where it was it will go back :/

IMG_9395.jpg

I like the flow the gyre gives. I think they will be a perfect combination for a peninsula style tank. How is the current through the varying depths of the tank Ben? I.e does it just push water out in a linear motion and rely on that turbulance to create full flow or do you find it covers the vast majority of the tank pretty evenly (in your configuration anyway) compared to the Vortechs?

jedimasterben

I like the flow the gyre gives. I think they will be a perfect combination for a peninsula style tank. How is the current through the varying depths of the tank Ben? I.e does it just push water out in a linear motion and rely on that turbulance to create full flow or do you find it covers the vast majority of the tank pretty evenly (in your configuration anyway) compared to the Vortechs?

It pushes a wall of water out of the outflow, about an inch or so as it comes out, and this flow is what creates the circular motion. Every molecule of water in the tank is in motion.

It pushes a wall of water out of the outflow, about an inch or so as it comes out, and this flow is what creates the circular motion. Every molecule of water in the tank is in motion.

Very cool, that's pretty much how I thought it operated. I will definitely be adding one of these to my wish list when I look at a tank upgrade.

jedimasterben

Got a fat box of gorgonians from KPA today. Mounted them all, now just trying to force the big anemone to walk back to its old spot, where it is now it's latching onto two gorgs and a bunch of zoas :furious:

Congrats on the gyre ben and thanks for putting those videos together as they're really well done.. better than any of the previous ones ive seen. I got a chance to see one live at a frag swap this past weekend...definitely a game changer. Im just hoping they make a really small one

jedimasterben

Congrats on the gyre ben and thanks for putting those videos together as they're really well done.. better than any of the previous ones ive seen. I got a chance to see one live at a frag swap this past weekend...definitely a game changer. Im just hoping they make a really small one

Thanks! I'm glad that CoralVue and Maxspect liked them so much. Coralvue actually did an email blast to show off the video versus the two MP40! :)

The smallest as of right now will be the 35w model, which will be 7" tip to tip. You will, however, be able to turn them wayyyy down. At setting 1/11 the gyre is way too slow for my tank, so I'd imagine it would be good for a tank that is in the 30g range to be for 'decent' flow. The 35w model should be fairly linear in performance with the 50w model that I have, so take a look at the settings 1-9 of my video and that should give you an idea of the flow of the 30w model.

have you seen the photsynthetic gorgs from coral morphologic?

Yes, some of what I got today are the same that they propagate. Too bad they no longer sell to the public :(

Gorgs, snails, and Pederson shrimp from KPA all were fantastic, only lost one snail. My tank instantly went from anemone-dominant to gorgonian-dominant :)

IMG_9405.jpg

IMG_9413.jpg

IMG_9420.jpg

IMG_9423.jpg

IMG_9427.jpg

IMG_9428.jpg

Purple photo sponge is making a comeback! Not sure why it decided to commit suicide, but it seems all better now :)

IMG_9436.jpg

Thanks! I'm glad that CoralVue and Maxspect liked them so much. Coralvue actually did an email blast to show off the video versus the two MP40! :)

The smallest as of right now will be the 35w model, which will be 7" tip to tip. You will, however, be able to turn them wayyyy down. At setting 1/11 the gyre is way too slow for my tank, so I'd imagine it would be good for a tank that is in the 30g range to be for 'decent' flow. The 35w model should be fairly linear in performance with the 50w model that I have, so take a look at the settings 1-9 of my video and that should give you an idea of the flow of the 30w model.

Yes, some of what I got today are the same that they propagate. Too bad they no longer sell to the public :(

Gorgs, snails, and Pederson shrimp from KPA all were fantastic, only lost one snail. My tank instantly went from anemone-dominant to gorgonian-dominant :)

IMG_9405.jpg

IMG_9413.jpg

IMG_9420.jpg

IMG_9423.jpg

IMG_9427.jpg

IMG_9428.jpg

Purple photo sponge is making a comeback! Not sure why it decided to commit suicide, but it seems all better now :)

IMG_9436.jpg

awesome, unique coral still has some cm gorgs available btw

jedimasterben

awesome, unique coral still has some cm gorgs available btw

Yes, they do wholesale only now, so they're definitely still available. I'd love one day to go see their systems and talk to them, Colin and Jared are awesome.

Archived