Coral Vue Hydros

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

alright I've heard of ppl turning the back corner into a Durso-style overflow with 2 stand pipes and just going ahead and putting the return up and over even if it isn't astetically pleasing

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

alright I've heard of ppl turning the back corner into a Durso-style overflow with 2 stand pipes and just going ahead and putting the return up and over even if it isn't astetically pleasing

Durso is the standpipe, not the overflow. Durso has a tee with an elbow and a cap with a hole drilled in it.

standpipe.jpg

I do not like or want anything going into the tank that doesn't have to as I have a top to keep fish in, even fish that you don't think will jump will at some point find their way out of the tank.

If you get the 'Edge' version with the low-iron front panel, then none of the panels of the tank will be tempered so you can drill them how you want them. If you decide to do this, your LFS can contact Deep Blue and have them not drill the holes in the bottom or install the overflow and just send the bare tank.

Well, turns out I'm not under an NDA, so the :ninja: stuff from yesterday is that I got a message from Chris Conti of CoralVue to call him, so we talked for a good while and he wanted to know if I'd test out the Maxspect Gyre and some (or all) of the new Giesemann T5 lamps. I'll be receiving them some time next week. :happydance:

Also, was pretty sure this Siderastrea radians coral was already long dead, but the A. echinata decided it wasn't finished yet! :o

IMG_9304.jpg

Imagine the giant 6' 220g tank that they did a video on... And then make that tank 8' x 4' x 3'. :o

I wanna see what it'd do in a 8x3x1 lol

Been thinking about getting one for the 48x30x24 to go along with the mp40 I already have too.... I'd probably run it vertical in there

So I got the Maxspect Gyre today, just got it installed on the tank (and as of now until its release or I am released to reveal the unit there will be full shots of the tank).

Holy shit. That's all there is to say.

So I got the Maxspect Gyre today, just got it installed on the tank (and as of now until its release or I am released to reveal the unit there will be full shots of the tank).

Holy shit. That's all there is to say.

Am i going to have to wait for the smaller model is all I am asking

Am i going to have to wait for the smaller model is all I am asking

I know I can talk about performance, but I don't think I can talk about the control... I will say that I just measured it at 9.5 watts of power (this is the 50w model) and 100% of the water in my tank is moving, one notch up and it's violently moving and my anemone looked like it was being hit with a hammer.

I know I can talk about performance, but I don't think I can talk about the control... I will say that I just measured it at 9.5 watts of power (this is the 50w model) and 100% of the water in my tank is moving, one notch up and it's violently moving and my anemone looked like it was being hit with a hammer.

I hear thats what they like, being beaten with flow

I hear thats what they like, being beaten with flow

To an extent, yes - this was in another category, though. If I would have left it there, I'm certain the anemone would have walked on me.

To an extent, yes - this was in another category, though. If I would have left it there, I'm certain the anemone would have walked on me.

Thats pretty brutal, I know I have to keep flow pretty mild in my tank although I can run an mp10 at full placed well. If it isn't placed well it pisses off every lps in the middle of my rock structure and blows sand all over my acans. I am hoping I can vertically mount one in the back corner of the tank and get a real gyre type flow behind and around my rock structure.

Thats pretty brutal, I know I have to keep flow pretty mild in my tank although I can run an mp10 at full placed well. If it isn't placed well it pisses off every lps in the middle of my rock structure and blows sand all over my acans. I am hoping I can vertically mount one in the back corner of the tank and get a real gyre type flow behind and around my rock structure.

The one I have is probably the 'medium' model (I'm not 100% sure yet, won't be able to tell until I take it out of the tank and run it in a bucket so I can crank it up and measure wattage lol), but Maxspect says the small model will be 7" long. My tank is 16" tall, and this thing run vertically pushes my sand around in front of it, so I'll probably honestly get the smallest model for mine - there is no need for as much flow as I'm able to get out of this thing.

Well, turns out I'm not under an NDA, so the :ninja: stuff from yesterday is that I got a message from Chris Conti of CoralVue to call him, so we talked for a good while and he wanted to know if I'd test out the Maxspect Gyre and some (or all) of the new Giesemann T5 lamps. I'll be receiving them some time next week. :happydance:

Also, was pretty sure this Siderastrea radians coral was already long dead, but the A. echinata decided it wasn't finished yet! :o

IMG_9304.jpg

Geez, looks like the month for coral warfare. Cool pic and substantiates that 'coralz r alienz' ;)

here is no need for as much flow as I'm able to get out of this thing.

I can think of one hell of a good reason for all that flow ;)

But it sounds like they sent a unit that is overpowered for your tank... shocking. :rolleyes:

I can think of one hell of a good reason for all that flow ;)

To be honest, flow of this magnitude is beyond what should be realistically be the goal. The one I have is, indeed, the '50w' model, and the fact I can't get it beyond 3/12 or 3/15 (can't figure out what the maximum setting is lmao) really says something about the design. I know it sounds like I'm gushing over it, but there is nothing like it on the market.

But it sounds like they sent a unit that is overpowered for your tank... shocking. :rolleyes:

This is the only model currently in production, they're getting it 'right' with this one then making the 35w and 70w models.

To be honest, flow of this magnitude is beyond what should be realistically be the goal. The one I have is, indeed, the '50w' model, and the fact I can't get it beyond 3/12 or 3/15 (can't figure out what the maximum setting is lmao) really says something about the design. I know it sounds like I'm gushing over it, but there is nothing like it on the market.

This is the only model currently in production, they're getting it 'right' with this one then making the 35w and 70w models.

My thought on it is it just creates flow in a very broad area... inch to inch its creating just as much as a regular powerhead maybe even less but when you add together all the inches of that thing look at how much water is actually moving.

When I have an mp10 running beside a tunze for instance the flow from the tunze seems way harder because its so narrow compared to the mp. But in practice the MP creates more flow from its broad pattern. I like to think of what the gyre is doing is making a way wider flow.

NorthGaHillbilly

Wow, awesome to hear about the gyre from an independent source. Really excited to see the 35 watt version hit the scene. We have a gyre fan at the shop to move around air, its unbelievable how much air it pushes while spinning relatively slowly, compared to a standard fan.

It'd be like putting an mp60 or hell jebao rw-20 on your tank.... pointless and overpowering for your needs, pretty sure you wouldn't be turning either of those all the way up in your tank either ;)

Sounds like they should scrap the 50 and 70w versions and shoot for a 5-10 and15-20w version instead lol

Don't get me wrong I think it is an interesting product with alot of possibilities but if it is so overpowering in your tank and unrealistic for you to use (which I imagine they knew before sending it to you as they have done a lot of research and testing already I'm sure) to its potential or even close I would rather see it in a larger more realistic sized tank for the model.... or a more appropriately designed model for your tank. The only way IMO to get a realistic review, is to put it in realistic use.

It'd be like putting an mp60 or hell jebao rw-20 on your tank.... pointless and overpowering for your needs, pretty sure you wouldn't be turning either of those all the way up in your tank either ;)

Sounds like they should scrap the 50 and 70w versions and shoot for a 5-10 and15-20w version instead lol

Don't get me wrong I think it is an interesting product with alot of possibilities but if it is so overpowering in your tank and unrealistic for you to use (which I imagine they knew before sending it to you as they have done a lot of research and testing already I'm sure) to its potential or even close I would rather see it in a larger more realistic sized tank for the model.... or a more appropriately designed model for your tank. The only way IMO to get a realistic review, is to put it in realistic use.

I hope coralvue/maxopsect has the patent locked down because what else would be stopping an externally mounted vortech motor from running these...

I hope coralvue/maxopsect has the patent locked down because what else would be stopping an externally mounted vortech motor from running these...

A lot, actually, lol. It would take a lot of engineering to be able to do that and then get it right AND have tolerances (like not being 100% perfectly mounted, etc).

Archived