ReefCleaners.org

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like it, unfortunately. The bad thing about dinos is that they can never be 'beaten', when they go away they will always come back eventually. Was hoping it wouldn't be while I still had the tank up, but I'm not that lucky. :/

No, the gorgonian is alive, it's just reacting to being covered in dinoflagellate slime and/or the toxins they produce.

Damn Ben that sucks!!!! Now what?? I thought you changed rock and all kinds of shit already :(

This is why I can't give or sell anything that comes from this tank that can't stand an acid bath.

IMG_9233.jpg

IMG_9239.jpg

I would appreciate it if Picasa wouldn't darken pics when I upload them...

IMG_9268.jpg

IMG_9296.jpg

IMG_9279.jpg

IMG_9253.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

I feel ya on the hydroids, my process of pullin the rock and using liquid super glue seems to have worked well, Im going to just ditch a few of my rocks when I switch tanks, but it took care of the ones I managed to get

I feel ya on the hydroids, my process of pullin the rock and using liquid super glue seems to have worked well, Im going to just ditch a few of my rocks when I switch tanks, but it took care of the ones I managed to get

No no no - that species of hydroid is not invasive, I'm taking about the dinoflagellate slime on top of it. :/

NorthGaHillbilly

No no no - that species of hydroid is not invasive, I'm taking about the dinoflagellate slime on top of it. :/

AHHH My B. I have seen those greenish/yellow ones, but with the trouble I have with em, I go terminator on the asses.

I hate to hear about the dinos man

followed your thread after you talked about it in lawnmans lounge, could I get a pic of your overflow and some info on replacing the bulkheads?

followed your thread after you talked about it in lawnmans lounge, could I get a pic of your overflow and some info on replacing the bulkheads?

I don't really have any pics of it that I could find, but it's a standard corner overflow with two holes, one 1" and one 3/4". Bulkheads that come with it have barbed hose ends, just unscrew them and screw new ones on, couldn't be simpler :)

Do you have it set up so they are 1 drain 1 return or 2 drains and then return over the top edge? I'm always a little worried about the drain getting clogged :(

Do you have it set up so they are 1 drain 1 return or 2 drains and then return over the top edge? I'm always a little worried about the drain getting clogged :(

One drain that's your 1" bulkhead and one return 3/4" bulk head. No need to run a return up and over.

This. I've never had an issue with anything ever clogging, and at one point I had nearly fifty nerite snails in this tank. As long as you aren't running an insane amount of flow through your sump (which on a tank this size should only be 300-500GPH) then even if a large snail decides to crawl into the drain pipe, the drain will become full siphon and pick up the slack.

Archived