Coral Vue Hydros

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

glad to hear that, im about to use a 24" light on a 36" tank

I've got some T5 only pics somewhere on this thread that show the full coverage of just two bulbs. No need to go all the way to the ends of the tank :)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly

If and when I ever upgrade again I will do a 36x24x12 with a 24 inch fixture as well. Nice to have those low par areas in the corners.

Thats my optimal tank, but its going to end up being 36x18x12 due to price. but having the lower areas will be great, Ive got shit over my tank right now to acclimate that new meat

jedimasterben

If and when I ever upgrade again I will do a 36x24x12 with a 24 inch fixture as well. Nice to have those low par areas in the corners.

I don't seem to have any in mine lol, even the edges peak well over 100.

NorthGaHillbilly

I've got some T5 only pics somewhere on this thread that show the full coverage of just two bulbs. No need to go all the way to the ends of the tank :)

with the spill over on my tank I figgured that had to be the case

I don't seem to have any in mine lol, even the edges peak well over 100.

we dont all have lights straight out of star trek dude

jedimasterben

Nem is still happily waving about on that rock with the black clown chilling out in it. I removed the MP40 ghetto covers yesterday afternoon and turned my return pump back up to what I had it at before, so tank is back to full flow :)

Nice to have those low par areas in the corners.
why is that?

Nem is still happily waving about on that rock with the black clown chilling out in it. I removed the MP40 ghetto covers yesterday afternoon and turned my return pump back up to what I had it at before, so tank is back to full flow :)
please consider lowering the flow till you get the sponge co ers Benny. Just to be safe.
jedimasterben

please consider lowering the flow till you get the sponge co ers Benny. Just to be safe.

Magnificas like good flow, and this one I'd say loves it. :)

I went out of town to see if I could trade a bucket full of clean dry rock for, well, anything at an LFS, but they didn't want it. Poop. So I came home with four chromis (that have been at the store for around two weeks now, so hopefully they're past their 'drop like flies' stage) and two Phimochirus operculatus hermit crabs.

IMG_9137.jpg

And once I got home, I saw that some time between yesterday and today, my purple photosynthetic sponge has almost disintegrated. :(

why is that? please consider lowering the flow till you get the sponge co ers Benny. Just to be safe.
For certain chalices that like very low light such as the Convict chalice.

Good luck on those frustrating little blue fish... my last one is hanging in there eating and out more so I may get to keep one. He was letting my cleaner shrimp do his thing this evening which was fun to watch aswell.

jedimasterben

I love those Phimochirus operculatus!!!

I just ordered one from KP :)

Just one? What's the fun in that :)

I think that next month (or maybe in a couple of weeks) I'm gonna order a bunch of gorgonians from them.

Good luck on those frustrating little blue fish... my last one is hanging in there eating and out more so I may get to keep one. He was letting my cleaner shrimp do his thing this evening which was fun to watch aswell.

Well, as of this morning all six are accounted for! That's a step up from last time. And actually, my single chromis I've had for a while acts as a cleaner to my leopard wrasse and rabbitfish, it's really cool to watch, I've never heard of it happening before.

Magnificas like good flow, and this one I'd say loves it. :)

Did I say they don't love flow? I said lower the flow till you have sponge covers in place. Don't make me come over there. :angry:

Speaking from personal usage of these covers, the flow is reduced and further reduced daily when it acts as a filter and grabs crap. So there.

For certain chalices that like very low light such as the Convict chalice.

I see, couldn't these do well in the lower areas of the tank though?

jedimasterben

Did I say they don't love flow? I said lower the flow till you have sponge covers in place. Don't make me come over there. :angry:

Speaking from personal usage of these covers, the flow is reduced and further reduced daily when it acts as a filter and grabs crap. So there.

:slap:

I see, couldn't these do well in the lower areas of the tank though?

If lower areas of the tank had lower light, but a lot (like mine) really don't.

Well, as of this morning all six are accounted for! That's a step up from last time. And actually, my single chromis I've had for a while acts as a cleaner to my leopard wrasse and rabbitfish, it's really cool to watch, I've never heard of it happening before.

That is really cool. Get a vid sometime if you can.

jedimasterben

That is really cool. Get a vid sometime if you can.

I've been trying to ever since I first saw it happen, but it only does it for a couple of seconds, by the time I get my camera or phone ready it's already done :(

I've been trying to ever since I first saw it happen, but it only does it for a couple of seconds, by the time I get my camera or phone ready it's already done :(

Well, the solution is simple. You have to hold the camera at the tank until it happens. No sleeping, eating, working, or anything else. Just filming waiting for this one occurrence. I think you can do it! :)

jedimasterben

Well, the solution is simple. You have to hold the camera at the tank until it happens. No sleeping, eating, working, or anything else. Just filming waiting for this one occurrence. I think you can do it! :)

LOL, I'll hop right to that ;)

Just one? What's the fun in that :)

At $4, just one :( Last time I had one, another hermit murdered it so I fed the murderous hermits to Ivy and we'll see how this one does.

jedimasterben

Cleaned the algae scrubber screen (I think it's been two weeks?), and I got about 50% more algae than I did last time. I really wish I could get the copepods out of it, though, I put the algae into a small glass beaker, and there are hundreds of copepods, worms, it's amazing how many.

jedimasterben

So earlier, I had just dumped a cube of mysis into the tank and was watching everything eat, when I realized that my black clown seems to have only now figured out that the porcelain crab also shares the anemone, and he was not happy.

First there was a staredown.

IMG_9147.jpg

Then the tail slapping.

clown-attack-1.gif

Meanwhile, the nem was just all NOM NOM NOM I LOVE MYSIS

crab.gif

face-off.gif

Thats hilarious, clowns are rly just cool, until you try to take pics. Then they are in every freaking shot right in front of what you wanted a pic of. I swear my clown is going to try to photobomb my family portraits this year.

hehe.. my clown fights with my porcelain crab over the nem all the time. So far the crab is victorious has not left/given up so they have to sleep together :P

So I finally 'lawnman'd my durso standpipe today.

IMG_20140909_180017931.jpg

and holy shit what a difference it made with noise. Now the only noise is the microbubbles in the sump popping (which is not bad) and the sound of the skimmer draining into the sump, which is the last bit of noise.

I also put the skimmer in the middle chamber so that I could move the algae scrubber to the end of the sump. This way it would not only have the flow from the drain and air bubbles from it, but also the light would not make algae grow like mad inside the skimmer or on the return pump.

IMG_20140909_192819014.jpg

IMG_20140909_192826515.jpg

IMG_20140909_192857004.jpg

Archived