SaltCritters.com

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

I love your planted tank! What kind of shrimp do you have? I have some blue velvets and I just got some crystal reds.

Sorry about the problems with the salty tank. It sucks when you don't know what's going on.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My blue velvets are also a Neocaridina sp, just a darker blue than the blue pearls :) One of my females is almost black. The crystal reds are a Caridina sp. Both are cool shrimp

I picked up 4 chromis on Thursday too! I love them...so fragile though. Woke up to one dead today. They have been eating, and he had nothing external. About to do second dose of prazi pro today. Hopefully the other 3 make it to the display.

jedimasterben

I picked up 4 chromis on Thursday too! I love them...so fragile though. Woke up to one dead today. They have been eating, and he had nothing external. About to do second dose of prazi pro today. Hopefully the other 3 make it to the display.

Lost two of mine, so instead of five I've got three. People always say chromis are hardy, but they really are pretty delicate when it comes to shipping and changing tanks. :(

jedimasterben

Well, got 30 gallons of water mixing right now. Was trying to figure out an easy way to take exactly 30g of water out of the tank without having to either use a 1g pitcher to measure or siphon into 5g buckets to measure, then I looked behind me and saw my empty old sump, which is a 29g tank. DUH! So I'll just siphon into it, refill the tank with a pump, then pump the water in the holding tank out of the house (I have a drain pipe buried that carries the brine water from my water softener out to the ditch, I have a tee on it so that I can stick a hose into it and drain right out).

I checked the TDS of the output water, as I accidentally burned through my entire Maxcap SuperDI resin a few months back, had the wife turn on the system to make ~25g of water, and I had accidentally left the flush valve open, so the RO output was still letting some water through at basically full tap TDS, so with the 15g of water that it made it completely exhausted it, and was starting to work on the Silicabuster SuperDI. I've made a lot of water with it, so it's about right that it's mostly exhausted now. Gonna go ahead and replace the prefilters, too. There goes $100.

jedimasterben

So you lost 2 of em today? Any idea why? It's crazy how delicate they are!

No, I lost them both the night that I got them, when the lights came on the next morning there were only three chromis total.

jedimasterben

Sorry for cell pics.

IMG_20140831_143825707.jpg

You can see plating coralline on the tall rock sticking out on the right of the picture.
IMG_20140831_143839707.jpg

Refilling, yo.
IMG_20140831_144329704.jpg

Yuck. This was after I had been refilling the tank, so most of the detritus had settled.
IMG_20140831_144700358.jpg

Right out the window to the ditch.
IMG_20140831_150231324.jpg

Clyde overseeing.
IMG_20140831_144707887.jpg

jedimasterben

I then decided it was time to clean up the wiring/power stuff. Too long I've had this going on.

IMG_20140831_165114803.jpg

I've had a piece of pegboard sitting here since I built this stand 8 months ago that I just needed to cut, paint, and screw on, but never did, until today.

IMG_20140831_170951625.jpg

Still a cluster#### of wires, but at least it is hidden now, and I can't splash water on it (which has been my biggest fear, especially since all of the LED drivers were open to the air). Could I make it neater? A bit, yes, but I did a few 'test runs' of moving plugs around and pulling things out, and it went pretty well, so I'm ok with this.

IMG_20140831_183155455.jpg

After all of that, I scraped all of the sides with a scraping blade and then took a magic eraser to them. Then I somehow managed to squeeze my arm behind the tank and cleaned the back panel, which desperately needed attention from all the splashing I've done to it lately. I then cleaned the front and sides with some RODI and a towel, but there were still streaks that I could see if light shone on the panels, so I took a 50/50 water/vinegar solution and cleaned with that, now they sparkle!

I'm gonna go grab some dinner with the missus, let the particulates settle down a bit more (the tank is pretty clear, just some flibbities flobbling around) and I'll probably mount the rest of kat's corals, then I'll snap some long-awaited pics with the DSLR :)

jedimasterben

FTS 8/31/2014

IMG_8800.jpg

IMG_8802.jpg

IMG_8805.jpg

IMG_8807.jpg

One of the acros from metrokat.
IMG_8814.jpg

IMG_8817.jpg

IMG_8823.jpg

Another acro from kat.
IMG_8826.jpg

A little bivalve from one of the KPA rocks.
IMG_8831.jpg

And the infamous katropora! Browned out, of course, go figure.
IMG_8835.jpg

An echinata from kat. Tissue recession at the bottom, possibly from too high alk/cal?
IMG_8844.jpg

IMG_8848.jpg

IMG_8853.jpg

IMG_8862.jpg

IMG_8872.jpg

IMG_8889.jpg

IMG_8895.jpg

IMG_8903.jpg

IMG_8906.jpg

This is where the sailfin blenny hides. This hole also connects to the face of the rock which is right in front of the side panel so I can look at him :)
IMG_8909.jpg

And now for some feather dusters :)
IMG_8911.jpg

IMG_8916.jpg

IMG_8920.jpg

IMG_8925.jpg

His way of saying that picture time is ovah!
IMG_8927.jpg

How do you clean your scrubber? I let mine grow thick for to long of a time so I had use a razor blade to cut/slice the algae off so it didn't rip out of the holes on my screen. This was a new method for me, but I liked it.

jedimasterben

Nice pictures Benny. Too bad about the acros

They've outlived most of the 'easy' corals, like my hammer/frogspawn, etc.

Looking good, I dig the rock work and the wrasse. :happy:

Thanks!

How do you clean your scrubber? I let mine grow thick for to long of a time so I had use a razor blade to cut/slice the algae off so it didn't rip out of the holes on my screen. This was a new method for me, but I liked it.

I just scrape it off with a plastic something or other, I use pretty much whatever is closest to me at the time lol. I think last time I used a pvc fan nozzle for a return lol

jedimasterben

A better shot of the blenny.

IMG_8933.jpg

And shroomies from kat, they're expanded now (they weren't yesterday, they were mad that I glued them somewhere).

IMG_8943.jpg

jedimasterben

I still count 5 polyps, they haven't made more polyps?

There were two very tiny, clear spongy masses on the bottom of that plug, they may be S. maculatus eggs or more of those mushies, but I think there might be another one on the other side of the plug.

So the blenny was chilling on top of the rock with his butt curled into a little crevice, looked like he was sitting down, I ran to grab my camera out of the case, the card out of the monitor, and then the lens cap off, camera on and focused while sneaking back up, all the while humming the Jurassic Park theme. Right when I got it in focus, dude is like naw man, can't do that, and flipped back into his hole.

Archived