Cultivated Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

Wow Ben! Stepping it up with the gorgs. Your tank is looking like a Carribean dream!

Love that Rit Nem BTW. How's it behaving for you?

jedimasterben

Wow Ben! Stepping it up with the gorgs. Your tank is looking like a Carribean dream!

Love that Rit Nem BTW. How's it behaving for you?

Not so well right now. It loves the Gyre, but didn't love my test I did running it at full bore. It had moved and was holding hands with the gorgs, so I pried it off and moved it back to the other side of the rock where it was, and it took about two hours to reinflate, but it has moved about four inches to the left and is now on the 'arm' of that rock and is fast approaching the acropora I have mounted there. Go figure, just as that acro was starting to color up.

Not so well right now. It loves the Gyre, but didn't love my test I did running it at full bore. It had moved and was holding hands with the gorgs, so I pried it off and moved it back to the other side of the rock where it was, and it took about two hours to reinflate, but it has moved about four inches to the left and is now on the 'arm' of that rock and is fast approaching the acropora I have mounted there. Go figure, just as that acro was starting to color up.

the joys of nem ownership, the heartmelting emotion that overwhelms you as it cuddles with its neighbors.

:lol:

All because I wanted to drum up a little more interest in the Gyre. Boooo!

Could just replace the nem w/ more acros.... then crank til your sand can't take it :) lol

jedimasterben

Could just replace the nem w/ more acros.... then crank til your sand can't take it :) lol

Nah, gotta have some flowyness :)

The gorgonians are looking great! That blue sponge is pretty nifty too :).

Thanks! Most of them already have polyp extension, too :)

My pink sponge did something similar to yours and withered to crap, then comes back, then withers to crap its quite a rollercoaster. Not too sure why its doing it but if it keeps making a comeback I am fine with it.

jedimasterben

Yeah it looks like a mille... a pissed off one tho. I'd say it has some potential if you can get it happy tho!

I don't know what I could do differently. I feed lots of different foods, along with things like amino acids, etc, and still I've never seen anything more than the above (well, right now they're extended a little bit more, but not 'millepora' extended lol).

I don't know what I could do differently. I feed lots of different foods, along with things like amino acids, etc, and still I've never seen anything more than the above (well, right now they're extended a little bit more, but not 'millepora' extended lol).

Where is it location wise in the tank? Have you ever tried moving it?

jedimasterben

Where is it location wise in the tank? Have you ever tried moving it?

No, it's up pretty much as high as it can go (only one spot that is higher) and it was sitting right in the path of the MP40s when I had those (and has great flow from the Gyre). I accidentally knocked it off today, was trying to get the nem to move again and ended up just knocking it off, so I moved it a couple of inches away. It'll have slightly better flow in this spot as it is closer to the Gyre, but light is like 30 PAR lower. I'll see how it looks once it settles into this place (it's at least already got it's 'full' polyp extension now, even though I just moved it).

No, it's up pretty much as high as it can go (only one spot that is higher) and it was sitting right in the path of the MP40s when I had those (and has great flow from the Gyre). I accidentally knocked it off today, was trying to get the nem to move again and ended up just knocking it off, so I moved it a couple of inches away. It'll have slightly better flow in this spot as it is closer to the Gyre, but light is like 30 PAR lower. I'll see how it looks once it settles into this place (it's at least already got it's 'full' polyp extension now, even though I just moved it).

I was actually going to suggest maybe try moving it to a slightly lower light and flow spot. SPS like flow but sometimes it can be a bit to brutal if they aren't used to it. Milles IME like a good moderate flow, not to harsh but certainly nothing close to stagnant ;) If it doesn't improve where it is now within a week try a slightly slower flow spot.

Archived