inTank Media Baskets

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

Move the milli to less light until it gets fuzzy, then you can move it up. The green "rainbow" one I have that I had to put through hell dipping and scraping took months to get polyp extension back. I have it at about 200 PAR and it's a nice deep green and fuzzy again, finally.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

How much of a noise difference do you hear from the gyre vs your Mp40s?

No noise from the Gyre except a very low whine at full bore. This is muffled by the water and the glass, so it's a non-issue though.

I was actually going to suggest maybe try moving it to a slightly lower light and flow spot. SPS like flow but sometimes it can be a bit to brutal if they aren't used to it. Milles IME like a good moderate flow, not to harsh but certainly nothing close to stagnant ;) If it doesn't improve where it is now within a week try a slightly slower flow spot.

Move the milli to less light until it gets fuzzy, then you can move it up. The green "rainbow" one I have that I had to put through hell dipping and scraping took months to get polyp extension back. I have it at about 200 PAR and it's a nice deep green and fuzzy again, finally.

Well, we'll see how it likes its new spot. It's got slightly less flow velocity (after using coral snow yesterday I compared to the video with the MP40s), and a little less light. It was turning green a little bit on the side that faces the Blue Plus/Actinic Blue bulb (since I just switched out to Giesemann lamps), so I'm pretty sure it needs more light intensity to get its color. I should be fixing that soon.

jedimasterben

So i've seen stuff from Woo's Aquatics on eBay before, but never really poked around much. Good god their SPS frags are cheap, and some of them are very large.

So i've seen stuff from Woo's Aquatics on eBay before, but never really poked around much. Good god their SPS frags are cheap, and some of them are very large.

and woo's is close enough to me that we get $10 shipping on orders over $50.. pretty sweet..

they post crazy shit on our local FB group all the time..

jedimasterben

and woo's is close enough to me that we get $10 shipping on orders over $50.. pretty sweet..

they post crazy shit on our local FB group all the time..

lucky bastard :P

jedimasterben

So I went and bought some frosted window film from Home Depot today. Was a real bitch to install, and it doesn't look all that great. Yay!

fts.gif

Muriceopsis flavida

gorgonian.gif

IMG_9444.jpg

I keep forgetting I have the camera in manual mode, so some of the pics are a little too dark.

IMG_9448.jpg

IMG_9451.jpg

Already shedding.

IMG_9452.jpg

And after nearly two weeks of being closed up tight, my green leather is coming back around :)

IMG_9461.jpg

Maroon clown is a bit beat up, but that's ok, whatever it takes to keep it male. It also is only allowed near the anemone at night.

IMG_9486.jpg

Something around this

IMG_20140909_192819014.jpg

try a white background behind it, just like a thick sheet of paper set back from the frosting. It tends to look best with frosting against white for the foggy effect

jedimasterben

try a white background behind it, just like a thick sheet of paper set back from the frosting. It tends to look best with frosting against white for the foggy effect

That seems like a very difficult proposition that would probably look weird lol

That seems like a very difficult proposition that would probably look weird lol

I ment the paper to see what it would look like lol. A permanent solution would be like a canvas or something if you liked the look.

jedimasterben

I ment the paper to see what it would look like lol. A permanent solution would be like a canvas or something if you liked the look.

OH lol. I see what you mean now

jedimasterben

So, after doing a surprisingly large amount of research, it turns out the 'nano conch' Strombus maculatus is actually misidentified. The species that I have are confirmed as being Euplica scripta, a type of collumbellid. They are nearly 'perfect' reef snails in that they breed freely and self-regulate their population. Very interesting. :)

That flow pattrn is beatiful with the nem and gorgs swaying like that.

Emaco is what you use to make the arch and structure right? Im getting ready to pull all my live rock and just build a new proper series of arches and over hangs.

jedimasterben

That flow pattrn is beatiful with the nem and gorgs swaying like that.

Emaco is what you use to make the arch and structure right? Im getting ready to pull all my live rock and just build a new proper series of arches and over hangs.

Correct, you'll be able to make some really badass stuff with it. Remember that a little bit goes a long way :)

Polarcollision

I like the flow patterns with they gyre enough to think about getting one. Your gorgoinans look fantastic and I still love your leopard wrasse. Wonder if my donut-shaped water column means the flow is completely disrupted or if it just pushes water around the rock work easy peasy?

jedimasterben

The product of a gyre is that it gets the entire water column in motion, and as it is starting the water that is rushing by 'grabs' what is next to it and brings it along, then water rushes in to fill the space that the kidnapped water has left, putting it in really basic terms lol. If there is even a semi-clear path for the gyre to travel, it will be able to start and work.

Polarcollision

The product of a gyre is that it gets the entire water column in motion, and as it is starting the water that is rushing by 'grabs' what is next to it and brings it along, then water rushes in to fill the space that the kidnapped water has left, putting it in really basic terms lol. If there is even a semi-clear path for the gyre to travel, it will be able to start and work.

it sounds great, do I need to have it above the rocks like you do? There's literally a wall 2" from where I'd place it...

jedimasterben

it sounds great, do I need to have it above the rocks like you do? There's literally a wall 2" from where I'd place it...

Its best practice to have it facing an open area, otherwise it pretty much loses its velocity.

jedimasterben

I love that leopard wrasse, I tried three and all died :(

They are notoriously bad shippers, even under perfect conditions they just don't survive all the time. They're collected in droves, so it seems that wholesalers don't really care if they lose a bunch, as there are always more to collect.

jedimasterben

so what happened to make your leather open, mines a diva and extends polyps rarely

Maybe it decided to take a vacation for a couple of weeks. The day before it opened, it shed, it's never taken that long before (usually only closed for a few hours or a day), but maybe it had some trouble? Idk for sure.

How much flow is it getting? Some leathers want to be slapped silly with flow.

Archived