Cultivated Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Not sure this is a good idea. Dinos kill CUC as you know. If that doesn't do it, your potassium dose will. :slap:

How can the past potassium dose kill future additions? :slap:

Ben, just a heads-up. I took out my ostreopsis (before my change over), though a series of heavy water changes, extremely light feeding, and several 3 day blackouts over the course of a couple months. This is also when I took out my sandbed. I'm sure that was another factor in play.

I don't know how you did that. Water changes fuel them, and they aren't nutrient limited. You got lucky :lol:

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Well, you'll still need to wait around a month for the 35w models to hit, no sense in raping your tank with the 50w ones!

Much like the honey badger, bare bottom SPS tank don't give a shit lol.

Maybe I take that back, 5000gph (x2) puts me just over 150x an hour lol. Maybe I'll hold off for the smaller ones.

jedimasterben

Actually, the 'turnover' doesn't really apply to gyre motion. Your entire water column moves in the same direction, making a low-velocity, high-energy wave.

Pretty dire :/

I was about to like this quote but I then thought that wouldn't be appropriate. Sorry your dino problems have returned man. That's a real bummer. Hopefully that UV will help

jedimasterben

UV sterilizer is in, went to home depot and got another $40 in plumbing to get it hooked up since it only comes with tubing adapters, go figure.

Came home and my maroon clown is gone, and my leopard wrasse is belly up :( :( :( :(

Looks like I don't need my sandbed anymore, so I'm going to do like Mr. Microscope did and siphon it out so that the dinos have less that they can attach to. #### these guys.

I will try just the UV for a week or two and then decide if I want to siphon it out.

jedimasterben

:o

IMG_20141103_194716574.jpg

:(

IMG_20141103_194811914.jpg

I'm down to five fish as of today. My black clown, my rabbitfish, my ruby red dragonet, and my pair of spotted mandarins. :(

jedimasterben

It's more than likely that it played a role in it. They've bloomed like I've never seen before, and the fish that have died have mostly been those that pick at the rocks. Ostreopsis is bad stuff.

Do you have a LFS to hold your fish, so you can start over? Not sure if this is even a viable option as i'm quite retarded when it comes to Dinos :P

Have you tried Fauna Marin Algae X? I hear some things about it as a 'last resort' when it comes to Dinos as well.

Mr. Microscope

Ouch! Your maroon clown too?! Sorry man. I hope that beast of a UV system helps. That is one serious tube. Good luck with the sandbed removal.

Archived