Coral Vue Hydros

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd highly recommend skipping the starboard idea then.

Not to discourage the idea but, I just think it'd be a hassle knowing there will always be junk under it. I had two wp25's and two tunzes in the tank to keep crap suspended and full length overflow and still managed to get stuff under the starboard.

jedimasterben

So I came home and my LEDs were all on, and my Bluefish responds to the app! Not sure how, but apparently the Electric Imp card isn't fried and just needed to dry out fully!

Also, my yellow watchman goby was presumed dead, as I haven't seen him in a week or two, and didn't see him at all when I siphoned out the sand yesterday, but who do I see swimming around the tank when I got home? Him! Or her, whichever it is. Unfortunately it is probably going to die, as it looks pretty bad right now. With the sand removed, flow in the tank is greatly increased (though I have not changed the power output of the Gyre), and he doesn't seem to be finding a spot to perch anywhere and stay put. Being a percher, constantly swimming like that drains incredible amounts of energy, so if he doesn't find a spot to chill out, he won't make it. :/

So I came home and my LEDs were all on, and my Bluefish responds to the app! Not sure how, but apparently the Electric Imp card isn't fried and just needed to dry out fully!

Wooo! Maybe that should be added to the feature list of Bluefish? :P

Also, my yellow watchman goby was presumed dead, as I haven't seen him in a week or two, and didn't see him at all when I siphoned out the sand yesterday, but who do I see swimming around the tank when I got home? Him! Or her, whichever it is. Unfortunately it is probably going to die, as it looks pretty bad right now. With the sand removed, flow in the tank is greatly increased (though I have not changed the power output of the Gyre), and he doesn't seem to be finding a spot to perch anywhere and stay put. Being a percher, constantly swimming like that drains incredible amounts of energy, so if he doesn't find a spot to chill out, he won't make it. :/

Why don't you just turn down the flow of the gyre than? :huh:

jedimasterben

Wooo! Maybe that should be added to the feature list of Bluefish? :P

:lol:

I think it might still be bugged. When the Bluefish loses its wifi signal, the controller continues doing what it does but can't update to the latest weather, etc. When a wifi connection is reestablished, it turns off all channels and then turns them back where they should be, so the lights flicker off then back on. It normally does this every once in a while (maybe a couple of times per week), but it's doing it every five minutes or so now.

Why don't you just turn down the flow of the gyre than? :huh:

Because less flow = less better. The flow increase is something that the goby should be able to handle, as this is what I will continue to have it set at (it's just not been able to go under the rocks before, the sand was in the way). He seems to have found his place under his rock again, but if I see him continue to move around too much, I will put him into my 'fuge' section of hte sump, which just has a bunch of rock and some sand that fell into it last night when the filter sock I was siphoning the sand into tipped over.

Because less flow = less better.

Hah, my new favourite quote :lol:

The flow increase is something that the goby should be able to handle, as this is what I will continue to have it set at (it's just not been able to go under the rocks before, the sand was in the way). He seems to have found his place under his rock again, but if I see him continue to move around too much, I will put him into my 'fuge' section of hte sump, which just has a bunch of rock and some sand that fell into it last night when the filter sock I was siphoning the sand into tipped over.

Ah gotcha. It's your way or the highway. Get used to it goby-ach.

jedimasterben

Hah, my new favourite quote :lol:

Ah gotcha. It's your way or the highway. Get used to it goby-ach.

pretty much :lol:

So I got my starboard in. I took off my overflow cover and used it as a tool to make my mark to cut out for the overflow. My new Ryobi 18v jigsaw cut through it like it wasn't even there, and it's buttery smooth!

Now to just finish siphoning out what bits of sand are left, slide the rocks over, and put it in!

You have a sump right? with water? do the fish a favor and save him.

jedimasterben

Blue is sexy.

Not really, especially not as blue as the pics above lol.

You have a sump right? with water? do the fish a favor and save him.

Do him a favor and confine him to a very small area where I'll inevitably forget about him or wait til he sucks it up buttercup and adjusts? Don't forget that reef fish are extremely adaptable. And anyway, if my mandarin can deal, the goby can. :lol:

So I moved all my rocks and snails to the right side of the tank and put the left piece in place, then moved all the rocks over to the left and went to put the right side in. It was a little too tight with regular corners, so I took my jigsaw and rounded the corners just a fuzz, and it slipped right in. Then I realized that there was a friggin nassarius snail under the left piece :angry:

IMG_20141114_184018935.jpg

Finally got all the snails out and everything temporarily in place. Going to finish moving the rocks around tomorrow, too tired to do it now. Spent three hours siphoning sand yesterday and then another two and a half today getting this stuff in and more siphoning.

IMG_20141114_195524812.jpg

jedimasterben

Your watchman goby angry cause there's no sand anymore?

With the sand removed, now there is flow through and under the rocks, and specifically the one he normally hangs out under. He just needed to readjust, it seems, as he's chillin out there now.

Sorry about the LED controlled.

TIME TO SWITCH TO T5s! I HEARD DINOS HATE T5s!

:) True story.

:huh:

jedimasterben

Sorry for the glare. The sun is bright :)

IMG_9648.jpg

IMG_9654.jpg

IMG_9655.jpg

IMG_9663.jpg

IMG_9666.jpg

Too much rock over here, but these rocks have some of the prettiest feather dusters I have that are inside the rock (not like stuck to the side or anything), so I'll deal for now.

IMG_9674.jpg

jedimasterben

I officially like this tank much more now after the new starboard.

Eh. It looks great now, but as soon as the board catches any algae or anything it won't look all that great.

Do you have a center brace on the tank?

No.

So i got a surprise box today, from Justind823, care of kat. Two zoa frags and a bit of a gorgonian! I had wanted to buy them from Justin and had PMed him, then he asked for my address but nothing more. I figured he'd forgotten or just hadn't logged in since, so I was like 'oh well'. Then I get a PM from Eisernes (running the Secret Santa) that says I have a live shipment coming! It was supposed to arrive yesterday, but didn't, and kat kept bugging me about it, which is weird! Then after I got it I put two and two together :)

jedimasterben

Corals from Justin are already opening up :)

IMG_9678.jpg

My black clown has developed this orange stripe down its back. wat.

IMG_9681.jpg

And Mr. Grumpygills.

IMG_9708.jpg

Archived