Innovative Marine Aquariums

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

After getting the UV sterilizer in, I did a 3 day blackout. Lights came back on yesterday, but I was gone pretty much all day, so I didn't get to take a good look at everything.

Everything looks good today. Corals are all opening up, no dino strings to be found, and everything is just good. I had an issue on the last day of the blackout, the water was yellow, like someone had peed in it. I'd assumed it was just dead dinos and their toxins. My carbon was probably exhausted and BOTH 400mL bags of Purigen were piss yellow in color. I'm regenerating those, and put a full cup of ROX 0.8 carbon into the tank (although the bag has a small hole in it, so I'm gonna have to get another soon). Took care of the yellow in just a few hours, though it's probably exhausted now lol.

I took a water sample today and put it under the microscope. No dinos in the water column, which is good, but I took a sample of some schmutz on a dead gorgonian. Found a ####load of dead dinos, but also around half a dozen live ones. I'm going to be keeping an eye on it.

Hey Ben, do you think the gyre will do for SPS? I ask because it seems that with me unit you will have flow directed only one way. I'd think that would for weird growth patterns. Wouldn't SPS tanks want two to get even flow on both sides of the coral?

jedimasterben

Hey Ben, do you think the gyre will do for SPS? I ask because it seems that with me unit you will have flow directed only one way. I'd think that would for weird growth patterns. Wouldn't SPS tanks want two to get even flow on both sides of the coral?

They can switch directions for flow, so not really. Corals grow in the direction where there is most flow, and with a dozen powerheads pointing at one coral, it will grow towards whichever is strongest. That's the theory, anyway, in practice it's unlikely to see any difference. Think of how people have only one or two Vortech powerheads on their tanks instead of having many different smaller powerheads, and they don't have the strange growth patterns one versus the other. The gyre is a bit more focused, but I can't really see it causing issues.

They can switch directions for flow, so not really. Corals grow in the direction where there is most flow, and with a dozen powerheads pointing at one coral, it will grow towards whichever is strongest. That's the theory, anyway, in practice it's unlikely to see any difference. Think of how people have only one or two Vortech powerheads on their tanks instead of having many different smaller powerheads, and they don't have the strange growth patterns one versus the other. The gyre is a bit more focused, but I can't really see it causing issues.

I've seen people on RC writing that he reverse is not as powerful as forward. Not true?

jedimasterben

I've seen people on RC writing that he reverse is not as powerful as forward. Not true?

It's absolutely true. The wheels were designed to flow in one direction. I don't know exactly the difference, but I'd expect it to be 40-50% less total flow in reverse. This isn't really an issue, though, since I can count on one hand the tanks that I've seen with them that can use any of the models at full power.

It's absolutely true. The wheels were designed to flow in one direction. I don't know exactly the difference, but I'd expect it to be 40-50% less total flow in reverse. This isn't really an issue, though, since I can count on one hand the tanks that I've seen with them that can use any of the models at full power.

Thanks for the info.

As someone who has grown sterile things in the lab before, I know how terrible a micro-scale contamination can be.

"Throwing everything out" is what we would do in the lab. But I wouldn't have the heart to do it to my tank.

I fear if you still have living dinos, they'll eventually come back.

Do you know what species it is? Is there anything that EATS it?

jedimasterben
As someone who has grown sterile things in the lab before, I know how terrible a micro-scale contamination can be.

"Throwing everything out" is what we would do in the lab. But I wouldn't have the heart to do it to my tank.

I fear if you still have living dinos, they'll eventually come back.

Do you know what species it is? Is there anything that EATS it?

Yes, it is Ostreopsis (by far the worst species), and I'm sure there is something that controls their population. Talking to Pants (the Dino guy) he says that viruses might be the control in the wild.

The living ones I'm not the most worried about at this point. I'm going to keep stirring everything up and try and get them into the UV sterilizer.

After getting the UV sterilizer in, I did a 3 day blackout. Lights came back on yesterday, but I was gone pretty much all day, so I didn't get to take a good look at everything.

Everything looks good today. Corals are all opening up, no dino strings to be found, and everything is just good. I had an issue on the last day of the blackout, the water was yellow, like someone had peed in it. I'd assumed it was just dead dinos and their toxins. My carbon was probably exhausted and BOTH 400mL bags of Purigen were piss yellow in color. I'm regenerating those, and put a full cup of ROX 0.8 carbon into the tank (although the bag has a small hole in it, so I'm gonna have to get another soon). Took care of the yellow in just a few hours, though it's probably exhausted now lol.

I took a water sample today and put it under the microscope. No dinos in the water column, which is good, but I took a sample of some schmutz on a dead gorgonian. Found a ####load of dead dinos, but also around half a dozen live ones. I'm going to be keeping an eye on it.

Wait a week or two and do another blackout....

They can switch directions for flow, so not really. Corals grow in the direction where there is most flow, and with a dozen powerheads pointing at one coral, it will grow towards whichever is strongest.

True to an extent, but the more widespread gentler flow the better for overall growth and shaping.

Think of how people have only one or two Vortech powerheads on their tanks instead of having many different smaller powerheads, and they don't have the strange growth patterns one versus the other.

This is because of the wider spread and gentler flow patterns of the vortechs. Alot of flow is a good thing, but not all ways of creating said flow are equal. I will take widespread gentler randomized flow (like reef crest mode or similar) over forceful flow any day especially in a SPS tank..... although really that goes for most corals that I can think of.

The gyre is a bit more focused, but I can't really see it causing issues.

;)

So this study mentions that copepods, mussels or shrimps might eat them:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1568988312001618

Maybe you need some oysters or something?

Also, did you read this article?
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/how-i-beat-dinoflagellates-and-the-lessons-i-learned

I'd love to make you a virus in the lab, but I'd need some more information on them lol

Hey... that's something!

From what I understand, they breed in the water column, so keep blasting it off the sand and rock, and keep that UV on. Eventually you'll kill it all off.

Some more papers

This one suggests that higher temperatures induce the dinos to produce more toxins. Maybe you should consider lowering the temp of your tank also?

http://www.amlc-carib.org/meetings/procs/2001AMLC_Proceedings/01A_0004.PDF

Another article that might be useful: Nitrogen and phosphorus limitation effects on cell growth, biovolume, and toxin production in Ostreopsis cf. ovata

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1568988311001752

Another acticle on temp and toxin production:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S156898831000096X

jedimasterben

So this study mentions that copepods, mussels or shrimps might eat them:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1568988312001618

Maybe you need some oysters or something?

It would be next to impossible to keep them alive for them to really have much of an impact, the issue is getting them into the water column and keeping them there.

Yes, he says in the comments that they came back a short while later :)

I'd love to make you a virus in the lab, but I'd need some more information on them lol

Wait... what? That sounds epic lol.

Hey... that's something!

From what I understand, they breed in the water column, so keep blasting it off the sand and rock, and keep that UV on. Eventually you'll kill it all off.

I don't think I'll really ever be rid of them, but it is a nice thought :)

Some more papers

This one suggests that higher temperatures induce the dinos to produce more toxins. Maybe you should consider lowering the temp of your tank also?

http://www.amlc-carib.org/meetings/procs/2001AMLC_Proceedings/01A_0004.PDF

Another acticle on temp and toxin production:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S156898831000096X

The tank temp is already between 72-76F, so can't really get too much lower.

Another article that might be useful: Nitrogen and phosphorus limitation effects on cell growth, biovolume, and toxin production in Ostreopsis cf. ovata

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1568988311001752

I don't have access to the full article, but I can tell you that in captivity they are not limited by N/P as far as reproduction goes.

Man, I didn't know secret santa was getting so intense this year!

Well last year i sent roaches to Piggy and I sent my germy cough to Benny with a heat pack.

This year somebody should get a virus, or at the very least some head lice.

Archived