Cultivated Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corals from Justin are already opening up :)

IMG_9678.jpg

My black clown has developed this orange stripe down its back. wat.

IMG_9681.jpg

And Mr. Grumpygills.

IMG_9708.jpg

Clownfish are known to develop black spots and orange splotches while anemones host them.

jedimasterben

Clownfish are known to develop black spots and orange splotches while anemones host them.

I've heard of black specks when they first start their symbiosis, but never heard of orange splotches. Got a link?

Mr. Microscope

That is a really funky stripe. Never seen a clown like that. Very very interesting and pretty. I'd put a post in Albert's tread. about it.

I've heard of black specks when they first start their symbiosis, but never heard of orange splotches. Got a link?

No, I'll try to find some. I actually heard of it while browsing one of the black specks on clownfish threads.

Hey Ben what size starboard did you order? I ordered mine recently at 24 x 48, and I just didn't know if I would have to trim it. Our tanks have the same dimensions minus height so I was curious on what to expect.

jedimasterben

Hey Ben what size starboard did you order? I ordered mine recently at 24 x 48, and I just didn't know if I would have to trim it. Our tanks have the same dimensions minus height so I was curious on what to expect.

The inside dimensions of my tank are 47.25x23.25", so you'll more than likely need to trim both sides, and you'll also need to round all of the edges and cut out for the corner overflow.

I got mine delivered in two 23.5"x23" pieces, cut out the overflow, and rounded the corners, and it slipped in nicely :)

jedimasterben

So the Electric Imp card in the Bluefish is definitely toast, not getting any kind of lights on it now. The controller starts up just fine, I just can't understand why it is so reliant on a perpetual wifi connection.

Corals from Justin are already opening up :)

IMG_9678.jpg

Looks good!

Merry Christmas Benny

15591255448_7547714be4.jpg

I hope that cat made the trip too. Cooped up in a box for days can be rough on a cat.

Actually, cats love boxes, it may not have been so bad after all.

jedimasterben

Got a powder brown tang on Friday. Loves LRS and both him and the rabbitfish love the gracilaria I collected for them yesterday :)

IMG_9721.jpg

Here is the sargassum trigger I got last Tuesday. He is not going around as much as I'd like, but he is getting MUCH more active now that I've been feeding LRS 'Herbivore Frenzy'. He can suck down pieces as big as a marble!

IMG_9728.jpg

LOOK AT HOW TUBBY. ONE TUBBY TUBBY. TWO TUBBY TUBBY.

IMG_9735.jpg

And I FINALLY found the molly I was looking for. Took me a year and a half to find another. This one is a male, and survived the night, straight from freshwater to full salt, no acclimation.

IMG_9741.jpg

I checked a couple of rock schmutz samples like I have been under a microscope. Instead of hte typical 20-30 each dead and live dinos, I found zero dead and two live. Improvement? seems like it! Between the 55w UV sterilizer and 3-day blackouts every other week or so it seems to be doing something.

Glad to hear the dinos are fading away!!! Progress is nice :)

Don't be surprised by the sargassum's shyness initially its pretty common for the first few weeks for them to do alot of hiding and not really be out.... once they get used to the tank tho they are awesome to watch swim. Very powerful swimmers, and beautiful too! I miss mine, but not its behavior when it got bigger...

And I FINALLY found the molly I was looking for. Took me a year and a half to find another. This one is a male, and survived the night, straight from freshwater to full salt, no acclimation.

IMG_9741.jpg

Molly=Awesome. Love it.

jedimasterben

Molly=Awesome. Love it.

I know! I looked so long for this specific strain!

How's all teh fishy's doing?

All are well! The molly has fully adjusted to the flow as of yesterday and is now cruising around looking for algae to nom on, the trigger is coming out more and now swims up and looks at me when I walk by, and the tang isn't flaring himself up at the rabbitfish or trigger anymore, though he still always takes ginormadumps on their heads lol

Benny, crop this picture for me? Show just a sliver of the bottom. Please.

IMG_9721.jpg

Por que?
jedimasterben
Triggers are bad ass, it will follow you around like a puppy, some people have trained them to play fetch with snail shells LOL

Oh my god, that would be BRILLIANT! Lol

Oh my god, that would be BRILLIANT! Lol

The only down side is they will pull your snails off the glass/ rock and want to play all the time. My blue throat male and sargassum female both used to do it... The male would rip turbos off the glass like no biggy :lol:

Once it gets comfy and used to you it will likely let you pet it as well, which isn't all to uncommon either.

jedimasterben

The only down side is they will pull your snails off the glass/ rock and want to play all the time. My blue throat male and sargassum female both used to do it... The male would rip turbos off the glass like no biggy :lol:

Once it gets comfy and used to you it will likely let you pet it as well, which isn't all to uncommon either.

It was showing me the trigger fin yesterday, which was neat. Hasn't shown any interest in snails at this point, even when I was putting some of the periwinkles back into the tank. Those assholes are worse than nerites when it comes to crawling out of the tank.

Yeah it is starting to settle in nicely, just the starting to come out is a good sign but the eating already is huge. Definitely a quality specimen ;)

Neither of mine ate snails that I noticed (and I ran a smallllll CUC, maybe 15-20 total snails in a 180), just really liked to play with them lol

jedimasterben

Couldn't stand it anymore! Newegg has had a deal on the Intel 730 series 480GB solid state drive, a whopping $200 for an enterprise-class drive, so I got that and Patriot Supersonic 64GB USB3 flash drive, with Visa Checkout giving $25 off, so got both for $209 shipped. Awww yeah!

jedimasterben

Ordered 1.5L of Seachem deNitrate to put into my Phosban 550 reactor and more black suction cups to be able to put another algae scrubber screen into the sump.

Archived