Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

<3 I love those PBT. They are really cool fish. Good choice man. Hows aggression with the other tang?

Don't have another tang. Just the rabbitfish, PBT, trigger, molly, clown, and watchman goby. Probably some of the greenbanded gobies are alive but I haven't seen them, they always hide.

Don't have another tang. Just the rabbitfish, PBT, trigger, molly, clown, and watchman goby.

Hm, I thought you had a yellow tang too.

Probably some of the greenbanded gobies are alive but I haven't seen them, they always hide.

Probably :D

NorthGaHillbilly

Ordered 1.5L of Seachem deNitrate to put into my Phosban 550 reactor and more black suction cups to be able to put another algae scrubber screen into the sump.

what are your nitrates running at?

Here is the sargassum trigger I got last Tuesday. He is not going around as much as I'd like, but he is getting MUCH more active now that I've been feeding LRS 'Herbivore Frenzy'. He can suck down pieces as big as a marble!

IMG_9728.jpg

OMG :wub:. He's even prettier than I expected!!!!! I want one LOL.
jedimasterben

what are your nitrates running at?

Dunno for 100%. I haven't tested nitrate in a very long time, and after spurring me to break out the test kit I remembered why, the 'B' reagent in my nitrate kit has basically sealed up the dropper of the bottle. I was able to get JUST enough, though, to do the test and it says 4ppm, but it may not be accurate. Not too worried about it, tbh.

OMG :wub:. He's even prettier than I expected!!!!! I want one LOL.

And just think, that is a TERRIBLE picture of it!

Ben, have you looked at treating Dinos with PraziPro? There seems to be some info floating around that kills them and it safe enough for corals. Hikari says its effective on "flagellates" but I can't find anything difinitive. I have BC29 with Dino's and i was going to QT my fish with PraziPro before moving them over to a completly new setup, but now I'm debating dosing the whole tank to see what it does. I only have one conch left alive in the way of inverts cuz they killed all my other snails. There are some corals I am still deciding how to QT before I move them. Did you just dip your corals and remove any plugs they were on?

jedimasterben

Ben, have you looked at treating Dinos with PraziPro? There seems to be some info floating around that kills them and it safe enough for corals. Hikari says its effective on "flagellates" but I can't find anything difinitive. I have BC29 with Dino's and i was going to QT my fish with PraziPro before moving them over to a completly new setup, but now I'm debating dosing the whole tank to see what it does. I only have one conch left alive in the way of inverts cuz they killed all my other snails. There are some corals I am still deciding how to QT before I move them. Did you just dip your corals and remove any plugs they were on?

I need to treat my rabbitfish with praziquantel as his poops have gone from sandy poofs to long strings, and it's decent with corals and anemones, but small invertebrates (feather dusters in particular) do not tolerate it well. I can tell you, though, praziquantel in doses safe enough for fish and corals will probably have no effect on dinoflagellates, but your conch should make it through no problem, those things are nearly bulletproof (just don't significantly overdose potassium chloride!!)

If you're at the end of that tank's journey then you don't really have anything to lose, I just wouldn't put too much stock into it. Do you know what species you are plagued by? Most seem to be Ostreopsis or Amphidinium.

I dipped everything that were inside the QT tank, entire rocks, etc, with no effect. Corals can harbor dinoflagellates inside them (basically take them in as food but then release them later, unharmed, as waste). :(

jedimasterben

seriously though. see? I think they designed the avatar character after this fish.

:)

Hey ben keep fighting bro you can beat them. It took me months but mine are finally gone.....no traces.

I dunno. I don't see any, yet I get tons of them under the scope (and I think I've found a few that are encysted, but I'm not 100% sure what that looks like). :/

Beautiful fish BTW

thanks! I love them! Getting to do a basically full restock seems to be pretty nice this time, and I'm being careful about selecting healthy specimens, and I'd imagine the 55w UV sterilizer is helping a little bit. I think I'm going to go for another purple tilefish (though not sure how it will do without sand, as it is a 'sand tilefish' after all lol). I'd also LOVE another marine betta but finding one, especially a juvenile from Sustainable Aquatics, is nigh impossible.

That trigger looks great. How big is it?

The trigger, tang, and rabbitfish are all right at 3.5".

And just think, that is a TERRIBLE picture of it!

Can you take a bad photo of that fish???? LOL It's an angelina jolie fish...looks great in any photo no matter what :).

Seriously...gorgeous fish. I just LOVE the blue color.

Archived