Top Shelf Aquatics

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

I like the overflow slope cover idea, considered doing that with mine until I settled on mame instead of gravity. What about that, some open bed space, a central maybe slightly off center to the right small island, then an interesting more complex structure on the right to balance the heavy slop structure with light complex structure.

I wish i wasn't terrible with sketching or I would throw up some things I think would balance well with the overflow cover.

I will probably end up doing something like the overflow cover, maybe not fully enclosing it, but making a good slope. Hell, I might do like wawawang and just make a giant pile lol

The problem is the anemone. It really likes that rock, and I don't want to disturb it too much. I may fill in around the bottom of that rock, or split the bottom rock from it and keep the spot where the nem is and the 'arms' of that structure.

I like the scape the way you have it, but if you take away the second peak on the left hand side, I think you get a little bit more of the cohesiveness that you're looking for.

Which part of it do you mean? The angle pic is probably a little better at picking it out :)

Keep suggesting: remove the gorgonian in the middle that is making this look like one piece. But you're gonna do what you're gonna do.

Turned on the lights last night real quick (in the middle of a blackout, not sure if today will be the last day or if I'll go the full 7 days and turn them back on for Monday) and moved that rock a bit to see.

IMG_20141211_181823255.jpg

jedimasterben

It's amazing how much cleaner tanks look with less rock in them. Love the progressive pics over the last year. Gives me some inspiration for my tank. Thank you

Yes, much better than the 'box o rocks' of the past!

Looks awesome ben.....detritus doesn't stand a chance in this tank.

Algae sure does though lol

jedimasterben

Whatcha think.

IMG_20141213_213115356.jpg

IMG_20141213_213130280.jpg

Yes, the pictures were taken with a potato :P

Also, got a small G. stokesi today from a store I haven't been to in a while. Was pretty shitty, all their fish racks were full of detritus and the fish looked bad, but the coral tanks looked pretty good. Turns out, acoel flatworms ahoy (which aren't necessarily detrimental, but they can block corals from grabbing food). Also a massive, massive-ass worm thing.

IMG_20141213_185839743.jpg

jedimasterben

Before we get to the scaping, look at my purigen! Yikes!

IMG_0051.jpg

It's so yellow! blech!

But a little bleach and an hour and we get this:

IMG_0069.jpg

I got a Canon nifty fifty. I like it, but still gotta get used to it. This is all autofocus, it's not easy to do manual on such a small lens lol

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

On to the scape!

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

The new goni. Still not full polyp extension, but I've moved it around like nine times today while scaping lol

IMG_0167.jpg

Bubbles is like uh, what

IMG_0076.jpg

Clyde is all OMG WHAT

IMG_0064.jpg

Tinycat is all just let me sleep.

IMG_0059.jpg

jedimasterben

Also, forgot to mention, hype, you were wrong lol :), detritus DOES stand a chance in the tank, even with bare bottom and the gyre being so awesome. Less detritus than when I had sand, but I still siphoned what I'd estimate to be a tablespoon or more of it. I also pulled the gyre off of the wall and used it to force water in different ways under and around rocks and then kept siphoning that into a 1 micron sock. I still have the sock running in the drain to try and catch what I missed, also stirred up the sump. I need to get another couple of strong pumps for the other two sump chambers to keep gunk from settling. The first chamber with the algae scrubber has a Koralia 4 1400GPH in it and there is nothing that stays there! Squeaky clean besides algae growing on the walls.

jedimasterben

Very nice pictures Benny. I see you rounded them off with a crotch shot as usual. :rolleyes:

You usually love it when I send you crotch shots :lol:

Mr. Microscope

I really like the new rock scape Ben. Well done.

That camera takes stunning images. Love that trigger and rabbit pic. Please crop.

BTW, that worm on the goni is freakin' my shiz.

jedimasterben

I really like the new rock scape Ben. Well done.

Thanks! :)

That camera takes stunning images. Love that trigger and rabbit pic. Please crop.

They aren't clear enough to crop lol, they look like crap any closer than they are

jedimasterben

Took a few more pics before the lights went out.

Scarlet hermit from reefcleaners harassing one of my euplica snails lol

IMG_0174.jpg

The gang.

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

Archived