inTank Media Baskets

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Hey where's the grumpy goby and clown?

Mr Grumpy Gills is in hiding since i moved his house all around, along with the two confirmed green banded gobies (they only dart out to get food, they don't like my four bigger fish lol).

But great pics Ben

Thanks!

That red tail is gorgeous.

Yes, it is! And it's getting better looking with time!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

The second set was actually with the kit lens, the 18-55mm. It is able to focus MUCH closer than the 50mm. I've still got to learn the 50mm. :)

jedimasterben

(Very excitedly) got some shots of the green banded goby today.

gbg2.gif

gbg1.gif

IMG_0303.jpg

Top down of the clown/nem.

IMG_0322.jpg

Picasa darkened this pic, but can anyone guess what this is? :)

IMG_0346.jpg

my clown gobies are nowhere to be found sadly. They acclimated nicely and were out a good bit on day one. I am starting to think I may have a mantis shrimp and not just a pistol based on the clicking I hear nightly... That green banded dude is cute.

jedimasterben

my clown gobies are nowhere to be found sadly. They acclimated nicely and were out a good bit on day one. I am starting to think I may have a mantis shrimp and not just a pistol based on the clicking I hear nightly... That green banded dude is cute.

Do you see a bunch of bashed apart snail shells?

A basslet of some kind it looks like. Maybe a gramma or a blackcap?

Not any of those, but close-ish :)

Do you see a bunch of bashed apart snail shells?

Not any of those, but close-ish :)

not really, but there is a lot of space inside my mountain that may house them. I am preferring the thought of a pistol shrimp nuking pods left and right.

is that a blue sort of damsel btw

jedimasterben

not really, but there is a lot of space inside my mountain that may house them. I am preferring the thought of a pistol shrimp nuking pods left and right.

I actually had a candy stripe pistol shrimp somehow hitchhike into my tank before I rebooted it. Started with dry rock and dry sand, and all corals were dipped in iodine and then hydrogen peroxide, so there is no way it would have survived getting into the tank. I thought it was a mantis, I had dwarf ceriths disappearing left and right, and finally was able to get him out. I was shocked. He did what mantids do, too, beat the shells until they form this sort of epoxy glue and he had plugged up the inside of one of my rocks so there was only one way in. :o

is that a blue sort of damsel btw

Nope, not a damsel :)

Hey Ben- what do you recommend for cleaning the lens cap on LED pucks- mostly need to remove a little salt build up on a few small spots on my AI nano light . Soft cloth and clean warm water?

jedimasterben

Hey Ben- what do you recommend for cleaning the lens cap on LED pucks- mostly need to remove a little salt build up on a few small spots on my AI nano light . Soft cloth and clean warm water?

that or rubbing alcohol, will clean them up in a jiffy.

(Very excitedly) got some shots of the green banded goby today.

gbg2.gif

gbg1.gif

IMG_0303.jpg

Top down of the clown/nem.

IMG_0322.jpg

Picasa darkened this pic, but can anyone guess what this is? :)

IMG_0346.jpg

Purple dottyback species? I thought you were talking about the shapes on the bottom that I thought were carpet sharks lol.

I love those little gobies and your trigger. BTW do you have a full frame camera or an APS-C camera? Just curious. Depending on the frame you might want to look into "reverse mounting your nifty fifty" for those macro shots.

jedimasterben
Purple dottyback species? I thought you were talking about the shapes on the bottom that I thought were carpet sharks lol.

Wow, I didn't think anyone would guess it! Lol. I tried to get a good shot of it yesterday, it was the first day I saw it eat, loves LRS already. So far very cryptic, probably like the GBG and doesn't like the big fish lol

I love those little gobies and your trigger. BTW do you have a full frame camera or an APS-C camera? Just curious. Depending on the frame you might want to look into "reverse mounting your nifty fifty" for those macro shots.

Canon T2i, so its a crop sensor. The reverse mount seems like a lot of work to do it right and keep that part of the lens clean lol

Wow, I didn't think anyone would guess it! Lol. I tried to get a good shot of it yesterday, it was the first day I saw it eat, loves LRS already. So far very cryptic, probably like the GBG and doesn't like the big fish lol Canon T2i, so its a crop sensor. The reverse mount seems like a lot of work to do it right and keep that part of the lens clean lol

Yeah, but it does save the cash of buying a full macro lens. It doesn't perform as well as a dedicated macro lens, but it's a lot cheaper lol. What do you think of the nifty fifty? I've heard a lot of love for it and a lot of "the crop sensor makes it too far zoomed for many applications."

What do you think of the nifty fifty?

I'd like to know too!

I've got the T4i with a kit and macro (100mm) lens... Maybe I should ask Santa for a new lens to play with?

jedimasterben

Yeah, but it does save the cash of buying a full macro lens. It doesn't perform as well as a dedicated macro lens, but it's a lot cheaper lol.

True, but I still couldn't get great shots of anything in the tank that is in the back half lol. I also bought a set of extension tubes, let's me get some pretty damned good macro shots. The 12mm focal distance goes down to ~4-6", with the 35mm it brings it down to around 1/2" :o

I think this pic has just the 12mm extension installed, using the kit lens at 55mm.

IMG_7662.jpg

What do you think of the nifty fifty? I've heard a lot of love for it and a lot of "the crop sensor makes it too far zoomed for many applications."

I like it, doesn't need hardly any light to get sweet shots. I can finally get decent pics of my trigger lol. I haven't run into issues with it being 'too zoomed', but then again I've only taken pics of my tank, cats, and flowers lol

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

I've got the T4i with a kit and macro (100mm) lens... Maybe I should ask Santa for a new lens to play with?

SO. MUCH. JELLY.

reverse mounting a lens, magnification depends on what length of lens you are reversing. A 18mm wide angle magnifies more than a 50mm when reversed I forget the exact amounts though. For reef photography a reversed wide angle is probably too much magnification anyways plus the working distance sucks and getting light to a fully stopped down aperture is rediculously hard (it's fully stopped down due to the aperture mechanism not being engaged to the camera body. Just to focus you have to hold it open manually so enough light comes in to be able to see the subject at all it's so dim.

For a size reference this image was taken on a super tiny moss... focal length was a reversed 18-55mm lens at about 22mm if I remember correctly. The water droplets are about the size of a little plastic pin head.

368402720_59ae52a64c_z.jpg?zz=1

but then again I've only taken pics of my tank, cats, and flowers lol

SO. MUCH. JELLY.

OMG! I only take pics of my tank, cat, and flowers too!!

That's why I spent a ton on my macro lens - for flower pic taking. :rolleyes:

Archived