Innovative Marine Aquariums

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

When my new light arrives I will be able to take good pics of it that aren't so dark so you can really see what it looks like :)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm an idiot... started a debate on Sooch's thread thinking it was yours. :unsure:

Might find this interesting

Here we go:

http://www.aquarticl...tomfilters.html

"In the early l980's I found that diatom filters easily filtered out free-swimming dinospores ofAmyloodinium ocellatum, and in my outreach advisory program passed this knowledge on to various aquariums and aquaculture ventures around the country, enabling various facilities to exhibit dinoflagellate-free fish, and to raise redfish, cobia, red snapper, speckled trout, pompano, and other species without worry about deaths from A. ocellatum."

Dunno if that helps any but carry on with what your were discussing earlier

Edit: just realized this isn't Ben's thread [face\palm]

jedimasterben

I'm an idiot... started a debate on Sooch's thread thinking it was yours. :unsure:

Might find this interesting

Here we go:

http://www.aquarticl...tomfilters.html

"In the early l980's I found that diatom filters easily filtered out free-swimming dinospores ofAmyloodinium ocellatum, and in my outreach advisory program passed this knowledge on to various aquariums and aquaculture ventures around the country, enabling various facilities to exhibit dinoflagellate-free fish, and to raise redfish, cobia, red snapper, speckled trout, pompano, and other species without worry about deaths from A. ocellatum."

Dunno if that helps any but carry on with what your were discussing earlier

Edit: just realized this isn't Ben's thread [face\palm]

:lol::)

I have, yes, the issue is that these dinoflagellates are not completely pelagic, or else with this UV sterilizer I would be dino free by now :)

Diatomaceous earth is an option, but it's very messy and I don't particularly want to deal with all of that, but I do have a few single micron filter socks that are the equivalent to a diatom filter (as it filters down to around a single micron, as well) that I run on occasion when doing a deep clean.

Thanks for thinking of me though! :)

jedimasterben

Got my Seachem deNitrate media today, so I loaded up the Phosban 550 reactor with it and hooked it up. Measured just under 30GPH coming out of it, which is exactly what Seachem recommends.

jedimasterben

Got some suction cups from ebay yesterday and cut and added a second algae scrubber screen so I can clean one every other week and not sacrifice oxygen production or filtration. :D

jedimasterben

Looking at the aquascapes of others is not something good for me lol. I don't like the scape I have now, it was just thrown together, and it doesn't flow very well. The rocks I mortared together look great and are interesting pieces, but together I don't think they flow very well.

Looking at the aquascapes of others is not something good for me lol. I don't like the scape I have now, it was just thrown together, and it doesn't flow very well. The rocks I mortared together look great and are interesting pieces, but together I don't think they flow very well.

Well then.. time to post up a fts and take some critique like a man. No one can aquascape your tank like someone else. :happy: At least I think everyone else's (well almost everyone ) rockwork always looks better than mine. Same way with salads.. someone else's salad plate from the salad bar always looks better arranged.

I know the feeling. I bought my tank used off of someone, so the rock I have is the rock they used.

Great option for someone just starting out in the hobby, but I wish I had been able to plan my scape and the rocks better/differently.

:lol::)

I have, yes, the issue is that these dinoflagellates are not completely pelagic, or else with this UV sterilizer I would be dino free by now :)

Diatomaceous earth is an option, but it's very messy and I don't particularly want to deal with all of that, but I do have a few single micron filter socks that are the equivalent to a diatom filter (as it filters down to around a single micron, as well) that I run on occasion when doing a deep clean.

Thanks for thinking of me though! :)

you know who still uses a diatom filter a time or two a year? PaulB..

his is mostly to clean up the epic poop storms he creates intentionally though right? But yeh from what I have read newer tech on those is a hell of a lot less messy by using microns over diatom e.

his is mostly to clean up the epic poop storms he creates intentionally though right? But yeh from what I have read newer tech on those is a hell of a lot less messy by using microns over diatom e.

I didn't say he used it for dino, just mentioning that he uses one. but then again he also runs a reverse under gravel filter.

I didn't say he used it for dino, just mentioning that he uses one. but then again he also runs a reverse under gravel filter.

Reverse ugf's are pretty freakin cool, but tbh I was kinda terrified to try one out on my newer tank lol.

jedimasterben

Well then.. time to post up a fts and take some critique like a man. No one can aquascape your tank like someone else. :happy: At least I think everyone else's (well almost everyone ) rockwork always looks better than mine. Same way with salads.. someone else's salad plate from the salad bar always looks better arranged.

Still the same from these pictures:

IMG_9648.jpg

IMG_9654.jpg

IMG_9655.jpg

IMG_9663.jpg

IMG_9666.jpg

Too much rock over here, but these rocks have some of the prettiest feather dusters I have that are inside the rock (not like stuck to the side or anything), so I'll deal for now.

IMG_9674.jpg

I don't like the left area. I would love a slope, but 24" is difficult to get a sense of depth.

He also isn't battling Ostreopsis ;)

Move the rock with the blue maxi to the left and play with the angle of the gorg so you dont hide the nem. Take the rock that bridges the 2 islands and put where the blue maxi rock just was. Get a mag rock on the back glass just to the left of the leather.

jedimasterben

This is kinda what I was thinking about next to the overflow.

Hmm.

IMG_20141210_234819178.jpg

IMG_20141210_234823923.jpg

(note the plywood is only 40"x16", so not representative of the whole tank)

He also isn't battling Ostreopsis ;)

I read that as osteoperosis :blink:

I know he isn't battling anything, just mentioning that he uses one. he's really the only person I've ever seen mention it (had to google it when I read his thread)..

I like the overflow slope cover idea, considered doing that with mine until I settled on mame instead of gravity. What about that, some open bed space, a central maybe slightly off center to the right small island, then an interesting more complex structure on the right to balance the heavy slop structure with light complex structure.

I wish i wasn't terrible with sketching or I would throw up some things I think would balance well with the overflow cover.

Dino_zps17212695.jpg

I like the scape the way you have it, but if you take away the second peak on the left hand side, I think you get a little bit more of the cohesiveness that you're looking for.

Archived