Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Mother of god. I just took two rock scrapings and put them under the microscope. No dinos, live or dead in either sample.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Bout ####ing time

Oh and congrats on baby led domination

Thanks! I'm not saying that the dinos are gone at this point, but it's nice to have a respite!

And the tank is damned sparkling right now. There is basically no detritus left in the entire tank. There was a 1/4" layer of it in the overflow, but I even put a powerhead in that and fixed that problem :)

jedimasterben

A sparkling tank calls for a new fts

Especially with the new fish

I'll work on that maybe tomorrow. It won't make a difference with or without the new fish - the coral croucher decided he wants to stay behind a rock, the betta is basically nocturnal and hides, and the blue gudgeons I haven't seen hide nor hair of since I put them in, the trigger is a bit too boisterous, I think. The tang is the only one that is out and about of the six. I did at least see the betta and croucher eat some LRS earlier.

NICE! Hopefully they're gone for good. I'd retest in a couple of weeks just to make sure; but if the tank looks good and is nice and healthy, it might not be needed

jedimasterben

Well, I tried to grab some but the only fish cooperating is the new tang lol. I did, at least, see 15/16 fish eat LRS today. The only two I didn't see were one of the blue gudgeons because it jumped out and was fish jerky and the coral croucher, as it is tiny and hiding in a spot I can't really see. The betta, both the other gudgeons, the new tang, the molly, the two springers damsels, the clown, the trigger, the powder brown tang, the rabbitfish, the chalk basslet, the green banded goby, the watchman goby, and the potter's angel are all eating with gusto. The chalk basslet is really starting to come around, which is awesome, one of the prettiest fish.

Hey dad, I mean, Ben... Remember that led you helped me build? Would that be decent at growing plants by any chance? Or would I need more reds?

jedimasterben

Reef lights are too blue heavy. While it will work, plants will want to grow stringy. Cool white, warm white, and lime in a 2:1:1 ratio is fantastic for planted tanks, and you don't get any spotlighting from it :)

NorthGaHillbilly

Another Q for ya Ben, I need some options on small fish that will spend most of their time on the rocks, not swimming around up in my face

I should have been more specific. I want to try growing bhut jolokia peppers hydroponically. Would the same colors apply? I want to grow them in the middle of the house until the temperature warms up and then use natural sunlight by a window.

jedimasterben

Another Q for ya Ben, I need some options on small fish that will spend most of their time on the rocks, not swimming around up in my face

:lol:

Just chilling out on the rocks or hunting on them? If just chilling, clown gobies, coral crouchers like I have, hawkfish (beware their mouths), blennies are perchers for some of the time.

I should have been more specific. I want to try growing bhut jolokia peppers hydroponically. Would the same colors apply? I want to grow them in the middle of the house until the temperature warms up and then use natural sunlight by a window.

Hell, if you don't care much about how the light looks, load it up with 660nm deep red and about one royal blue for ever four to six red.

These guys are full sun, right? If so, your best results would be from just maxing out your lighting in general. Umm I guess like growing pot? Some growers need protective eye gear to prevent eye damage:

ALSOOO, keep in mind that photosynthesis exhibits a great deal of activity in the UV range:

Par_action_spectrum.gif

Full sun, hot and dry, and they like light breezes- hardly any movement from what I've been told. I failed last year mostly because I started too late in the year. They are very temperamental with salt, so living on the water in a mild and humid area should prove a nice little challenge. I'm thinking this go around, I'm gonna disconnect the blues on my led strip. That leaves just the warm whites, cool whites, purple, and cayan. Once I prove I could actually get them to grow I may get an actual light made for them for next year.

That will have the line and maybe some true uv. I'm guessing the light I have no will be good enough until March when the window sill is warmed up a bit and I'll just put a ceramic heater in a dome fixture near it.

Full sun is about 10,000FC, depending how close you are to the equator (about 2,000 PAR)

If they're so sensitive to salt, why grow them hydroponically?

jedimasterben

Full sun is about 10,000FC, depending how close you are to the equator (about 2,000 PAR)

The color temp of the sun varies depending on the time and the weather, but it's average is around 5000-6000K, and only gets more warm (like at sunrise it's very red because of the angle). that's one of the highest color temperatures that we can accurately measure, all the 'reef' color temps 10K and up are basically made up :lol:

And actually, as you get closer to the equator, PAR gets over 2500. :o

I've been thinking about doing this myself with an old fixture actually :lol:

Oh oops i should have clarified, 10,000FC as in footcandles (not 10k Kelvin), which is another measure of light intensity similar to lumens or PAR.

I like 6500K color temp for my planted vivs. Which is a pain cuz it's a bit higher than what you can get at like home depot or lowes

Archived