inTank Media Baskets

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

Got my Avast ATO today, just finished getting the 29g tank cleaned up and in place and getting the pump situated and such. I love pressure sensors :)

I really like mine, built solid and just feels good.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey just been following along alittle here and there, but its just my opinion on a scape for a shallow, might have to tweek alittle more than u want for it to look bad ass but break the water about an 1 and 1/2 on one island preferably the left or which ever is in the back more and if u have to move an island forward a tad. Now I do remember u said something about flow, this could be your only limiting factor by doing that. Hell try it it'd be interesting just to see though?

jedimasterben

This was the scape when I had first gotten the 80g

7/1/2012

2012-07-01_22-52-23_957.jpg

Then it evolved a bit as I got more corals, etc.

9/12/2012

IMG_0329-1.jpg

3/10/2013

2013_03_10__19_02_19.jpg

8/8/2013

2013_08_08__22_24_11.jpg

Scaping for differences in depth is difficult. It can be done, but usually needs much too much rock to do so. I like what I've got now and I do think I'm going to try and use corals to adjust the height, if I can get any to grow, that is.

jedimasterben

Did you change the gravel from dark to light? Why?

Just was time for something different. I do like both though I like white substrate better.

Just was time for something different. I do like both though I like white substrate better.

How was that changing out the sand- couldn't of been to fun!

jedimasterben

How was that changing out the sand- couldn't of been to fun!

Nah, easy as heck. Just spend an hour or so with a siphon tube going into a filter sock, then as the sock fills up just dump the sand in a bucket, then repeat that til it's all gone.

So my Avast ATO already got stuck on. I think it's because where it is in my return section it has a bag of Seachem Matrix and the bag got kinda pulled into the pressure tube.

jedimasterben

So on Saturday I met Southflorida_tron when he was on his way to Disney and picked up a very generous chunk of his purple stylo! My first piece of SPS that I have high hopes for lol. I was originally planning on getting it, going to a couple stores with my wife, then driving the hour home to acclimate it, but ended up staying out of town until almost midnight. In addition, one of my wife's shopping bags fell in the car onto the little tupperware container the frag was in and most of the water leaked out, so I had to break it off the frag plug and it was just barely covered with water, but it still had full polyp extension and still does in the tank right now. :)

IMG_20150118_181013251.jpg

Was walking by my FW tank earlier and noticed that one of the shrimp was up on top of the HOB filter completely out of the water trying to scrape at some algae. Never seen one do that!

IMG_20150119_182724835.jpg

Also got a visit from tinygirlcat tonight. She is tinycat's sister, she lives somewhere nearby and comes and sees me if I'm outside every few days or so.

IMG_20150119_183248470.jpg

I swear, she looks so similar to him

IMG_20141203_231507657.jpg

And look what that thing was doing earlier today.

IMG_20150119_123449777.jpg

jedimasterben

I don't think that he would get along with one lol.

Plus, he's inside only, he has only been outside two times since we got him, both in a carrier going to the vet.

jedimasterben

I really like the 3/10 scape.

I really liked that one, too. Flowed well and had plenty of space for everything.

Good luck with the stylo, should be unkillable.

I dunno, I'm talented.

jedimasterben

Confirmed via Mr Pants, antibiotic beta lactum kills Ostreopsis sp. dinoflagellates. Just not sure what it would do in a reef tank.

jedimasterben

Got my replacement bits for my Bluefish, got them installed (and only partially melted some of the softer plastic bits lol) and no dice, still acting the same way as it was before. :(

jedimasterben

So, bad news. My beta Gyre died. Coralvue says it is probably something with the controller, at first they were programmed to be too sensitive for motor lockups, so the controller thinks that something is wrong and cuts power to the motor to try and save it, but in reality there is no issue.

So for now, the tank is running on a Koralia 4 and a pair of Koralia Nano 425s, but stay tuned :)

Man, why is it that it's the techies that always have these mysterious, unexplainable, and unsolvable problems with their electronics? First your Bluefish, now the Gyre. Hope your luck gets better! That new light better be perfect :) :)

NirvanaandTool

Go big or go home. 2 will be fun.

I'm enjoying the 50W gyre. It really gets everything moving. I probably could have waited for the 35w but I'm impatient.

Are the controllers the same for the 35?

jedimasterben

Go big or go home. 2 will be fun.

I'm still only going to use one, two is just insane for my tank size lol. The second ninja bit was for the Bluefish Mini controller, glad that the info is public now, I'll have one on my new light :)

I'm enjoying the 50W gyre. It really gets everything moving. I probably could have waited for the 35w but I'm impatient.

Are the controllers the same for the 35?

As far as I know the controllers are the same, just maybe with different power ranges since the 50w takes more amperage than the 35w. It would make sense to use the same controller, one part to keep in stock vs two, etc. From the controller to the motor is three wires, not sure if only two are connected (power and ground) or if it actually does PWM with the third wire. If I can get an extender of sorts that has the same 3-pin connectors to match up, I can clip the extender and put a multimeter in there to figure out exactly how it ticks :)

jedimasterben

So the betta is out and about this morning, front and center.

IMG_20150124_095935516.jpg

Maybe too much flow with the Gyre for it to have been coming out of the rock? It typically stays under the slanted rock in the left pile.

I also found my Marineland Maxijet 1200, put in the propeller, and MAN does that bish move some water. Made a makeshift gyre in the tank with it, the water is slowly spinning lol. There is SO much detritus built up already, it's ridiculous.

jedimasterben

Just realized that there is a larger collection cup for the SCA-303. $20 shipped, figured why the hell not :)

Also, popped in an ATI Blue Plus and a Giesemann Actinic Blue for the break-in process. With just the lime and royal blue LEDs on (since I still don't have a controller yet lol, the Bluefish I couldn't repair) it's bluuueeeeeeee. The only thing that looks 'better' is the goniopora lol.

Archived