inTank Media Baskets

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

With water parameters being good.... stylo is pretty damn hardy and hard to kill. Peeling flesh that quickly tells me you were likely beating it to death with a brick wall. :lol:

Oh wait, you mean I'm not supposed to be doing that??? :D

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See that's what I always say to others too, check alk and keep it rock solid, everything else doesn't matter nearly as much. :/

But yes, the bottom is HDPE (aka starboard). It doesn't collect anything except for where flow doesn't hit strongly under the rocks, so the rock pile on the left holds a lot of detritus, but it's easy enough to get back into the water column, I take a powerhead every couple of weeks and use it to blow all the rocks and stuff off.

Thanks- do you have to secure the starboard? Who sells this item? Is it an aquarium item?

jedimasterben

Thanks- do you have to secure the starboard? Who sells this item? Is it an aquarium item?

I would recommend it, yes. I did not silicone mine in, and it seems like detritus would build up under it if it could, though I lift it up slightly on the corners and let the flow push any out, so there isn't a buildup. There is an ebay seller, I think it's Cesany Plastics or soemthing, that sells custom pieces, just tell them how big you want it and they'll get it to you.

I would recommend it, yes. I did not silicone mine in, and it seems like detritus would build up under it if it could, though I lift it up slightly on the corners and let the flow push any out, so there isn't a buildup. There is an ebay seller, I think it's Cesany Plastics or soemthing, that sells custom pieces, just tell them how big you want it and they'll get it to you.

Thanks Ben , very helpful?

Sounds like a set up

Legit, he is the one that referred pretty much everyone I know that has it. He gave it to me but I forgot it and don't know that I ever saved it and obviously didn't end up going with it since I have sand.

jedimasterben

Those that don't care much about the technical bits of my light can skip this post lol

So, I would have my light today but we ran into another snafu. Some of the SMT electronics on my driver boards that are meant to power the fans decided that they wanted to just pop. So I figured well, ####. Then, in my medicated 17 hour sleep after the infected tooth pull, I actually dreamt of the light lol, but not in the enjoyment of it, it was going over the wiring, how everything is powered, running numbers for voltage, power consumption, etc (how did I understand numbers in the dream? I thought that was not possible), I realized that the Bluefish Mini only provides a minuscule amount of power on the dimming pins, 4mA each. The fan control circuits, of which I have three, each will use 3.3mA, for a total of 9.9mA, which the Bluefish Mini cannot give.

I then figured ok, I can use another SCW with the on/off control circuit and have it be the only one to receive the power signal from the Bluefish, and then when it turns on, it will power the three fan circuits. I didn't have another SCW, though, nor did I have the boards to do it with, so I contacted Aaron (aka O2Surplus on Reefcentral) and asked for some more and had him check over my diagram since he is an electronics master (seriously, the dude is a BAMF).

He then says well, my plan won't work, since the fan control circuit only enables the ground pin of the output - the 'hot' pin is always active. Shit. He then says he has a plan for it. He then sends me a message that he figured it out. He is sending Dave the converter boards I need AND a small microcontroller that he normally has do conversion from an Apex controller to dim LDD, but reprogrammed it do send a 5v output, and since it has external power from another SCW, I can power all three fan circuits from it. Certainly not the most elegant solution for it, but it'll definitely work and work well! Dave should receive them some time on Monday, and then assembly and shipping should hopefully happen the same day. Fingers crossed!

Those that don't care much about the technical bits of my light can skip this post lol

So, I would have my light today but we ran into another snafu. Some of the SMT electronics on my driver boards that are meant to power the fans decided that they wanted to just pop. So I figured well, ####. Then, in my medicated 17 hour sleep after the infected tooth pull, I actually dreamt of the light lol, but not in the enjoyment of it, it was going over the wiring, how everything is powered, running numbers for voltage, power consumption, etc (how did I understand numbers in the dream? I thought that was not possible), I realized that the Bluefish Mini only provides a minuscule amount of power on the dimming pins, 4mA each. The fan control circuits, of which I have three, each will use 3.3mA, for a total of 9.9mA, which the Bluefish Mini cannot give.

I then figured ok, I can use another SCW with the on/off control circuit and have it be the only one to receive the power signal from the Bluefish, and then when it turns on, it will power the three fan circuits. I didn't have another SCW, though, nor did I have the boards to do it with, so I contacted Aaron (aka O2Surplus on Reefcentral) and asked for some more and had him check over my diagram since he is an electronics master (seriously, the dude is a BAMF).

He then says well, my plan won't work, since the fan control circuit only enables the ground pin of the output - the 'hot' pin is always active. Shit. He then says he has a plan for it. He then sends me a message that he figured it out. He is sending Dave the converter boards I need AND a small microcontroller that he normally has do conversion from an Apex controller to dim LDD, but reprogrammed it do send a 5v output, and since it has external power from another SCW, I can power all three fan circuits from it. Certainly not the most elegant solution for it, but it'll definitely work and work well! Dave should receive them some time on Monday, and then assembly and shipping should hopefully happen the same day. Fingers crossed!

I wasn't sure,when you stopped dreaming and had to run through it twice.

Why is it your having all these issues with yours but Kat got hers already, I thought essentially they were the same thing, yours just had 2 more led clusters?

jedimasterben

Why is it your having all these issues with yours but Kat got hers already, I thought essentially they were the same thing, yours just had 2 more led clusters?

No, mine is much more involved. I've got a new controller, drop-down converters to power both the controller and fans that require some special planning and wiring, etc etc. With kat's, she has one power supply for the LEDs, one for the fans on the LED heatsinks, one for the fans in the housing itself, and two for the two T5 ballasts. Mine will have one power supply for the LEDs, fans, and controller (with the controller sending a timed on/off for the fans) and then the two for the T5 ballasts.

The drop-down converters and converter boards are something that Dave has not worked with before and so he's been going through everything with me step by step to make sure that he's doing it all right. Once he got it all figured out, he liked it all so much that he is hoping to be able to integrate the same idea into his fixtures.

I wasn't sure,when you stopped dreaming and had to run through it twice.

:lol:

jedimasterben

Well, Spencer from Bluefish was kind enough to send me a full replacement board. I got it in yesterday, but didn't really feel like getting the heat gun out (I had to do a small component swap so that the new board would still read as a 'beta' device), but did that today. It's nice to actually have dimming again!

jedimasterben

Had to pull the powder brown tang today. Lost it sometime between Thursday and today (I got home at like 1AM this morning, didn't see the tank since Thursday night and it was still alive then). :(

It didn't look the same since I started praziquantel last Sunday. The only fish that showed signs of being different were the PBT and the trigger, and the trigger only 'forgot' how to eat pellets, would only look at them but wouldn't eat them with gusto. I turned the skimmer and UV sterilizer back on and gonna run some carbon to get the rest of the prazi out.

Speaking of the trigger only eating frozen, I am almost out of LRS Herbivore Frenzy. I went out of town to a friend's house to play DnD last night and had him to go the LFS near him that sells LRS stuff, but they didn't have any and said they don't normally stock anything but Reef Frenzy, which is weird because they all the time have tangs and rabbitfish on special, you'd think that they would have some kind of combo deal or something since they sell so many of them.

The store did have something I've never seen for sale before, female flasher wrasses. I'm not sure what species they are (pretty sure they're Paracheilinus mccoskeri), but I got two of them. I'll try and get some pics of them later. The tank has microbubbles from the skimmer just coming back on and I'm stirring up detritus and shizz.

jedimasterben

Well, in looking for the tang today, I removed a few of the rocks on the leftmost pile and, well, it actually looks better than it did, so I left them out. They weren't any of my KPA rocks, just some dry rock, so no coralline or anything lost since it doesn't seem to spread at all in my tank. In doing that, a lot of detritus has been kicked up and has migrated out of the display, which is awesome, seems that the couple of rocks really caught it up like it was candy. Bastard rocks. lol

I still have a couple of dry rocks I can remove that have gorgonians and my big leather attached to, so they won't really mind getting moved thankfully.

So something awesome. Now that the LEDs are dimming since my Bluefish is back to normal, my marine betta is starting to come out more. Combine that with less total rock in the display where it hangs out, and all day I've been able to look over and at least see part of it. :)

Both of the wrasses are starting to settle in and venture a bit farther from where they holed up last night. I thought for most of the day that only one survived the night since I'd only see one at a time, but eventually I saw one that out in the open and the other poked its head out of a rock. Both of them were picking at some pineapple sponges (that fell off of the rocks I removed) as they floated by.

I also discovered that out of the 12 T5HO bulbs I received last month I managed to get two duds, and of course they're the last ones I was breaking in. Popped them in this morning, didn't realize until a couple of hours ago that they never came on. Tank still looked good without them. :)

jedimasterben

I just want to know what the hell will kill a stylo. Makes no sense to me. :(

Same here. I got nothing. No excess algae growth (and good filtration to back it up) so I assume no nitrate or phosphate, plus those would just brown it out and not outright kill it. Salinity is good, alk is good and hasn't changed, temperature isn't controlled but also doesn't fluctuate more than ~2 degrees, which isn't bad. Eh. I guess I'm not ready yet.

10lbs uncured rock being collected tomorrow (weather permitting) and shipped Tuesday for Wednesday delivery from KP Aquatics. If you haven't seen it, they have a new website that is worlds better than the old one. :)http://www.kpaquatics.com/

Wow, that new web site is nice :) The uncured rock I got from them was fantastic, too. I think you'll be pleased.

And wow, if you can kill a stylo you're an overachiever in my book :D Copper or some other contaminant, maybe? Seems like that would affect everything, though, not just SPS.

You can do it Benny!

I finally didn't kill a Montipora after 2 years of trying to keep them alive. Now it just has to grow. You just have to find the right one.

jedimasterben

Wow, that new web site is nice :) The uncured rock I got from them was fantastic, too. I think you'll be pleased.

My first order with them was actually for uncured rock. Was gorgeous, still have some of it in the tank right now. My second order was supposed to be for another 40lbs of uncured, they were diving for it on Monday and then shipping everything out Tuesday, and I met them at the Ft Lauderdale airport so that they would not need to ship it and the rock would stay wet the whole time. Well, they had some issues that day and were unable to get any more rock and could only bring some rock they've had in their system for a couple of weeks, which didn't turn out well. There were some very large worms in the rock that had died and crashed the system that was holding the rock, was horrendous. Most of what was on the rock died off, and those rocks that I decided to keep out of that order are still ugly as sin. :(

And wow, if you can kill a stylo you're an overachiever in my book :D Copper or some other contaminant, maybe? Seems like that would affect everything, though, not just SPS.

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to keep anything else with elevated copper or other metals. I also run about a liter of Purigen, a cup of ROX 0.8 carbon, and an algae scrubber, so it's unlikely that anything bad would stand a chance lol.

Archived