Coral Vue Hydros

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

My tank is 18 tall. How do I change the cages angle and why would i do it?

Rotate them. You can use it to aim the pump output.

jedimasterben

Ben, you ever get those T5's burnt in so you can put up a review? B)

All but two of them, managed to get a bad Coral Plus and Blue Plus, gotta send them back to MD to get them to send out another two.

Also, is it weird that if I look UNDER my tank I can see what looks like red coralline splotches on the bottom of the starboard? lol

jedimasterben

Put in 100mL of Purigen today (went ahead and bought another of the small sealed bags of it, easier than taking the time to measure out 100mL of the stuff I already have lol) and the bag of ROX carbon that I had in before I did the Praziquantel treatment, so it should be at least halfway exhausted. Stirred up the last two sump chambers, holding the skimmer and return pump, and put a couple of powerheads in the compartments to really keep it flowing. Put a MJ1200 into the display, stirred up what is left under the rocks (STILL finding piles of sand coming from the undersides of rocks, not just detritus), and put in a 1m filter sock in the drain. I turned the DC-6000 up to full power and realized just how much the big UV sterilizer kicks flow in the nads.

jedimasterben

Ok, so I got my rock in from KPA. It's good, but it spent an extra day in transit, so it doesn't look as good as I'd hoped. Strangely zero hitchhikers - no crabs, snails, corals, bristleworms, shrimp, nothing other than coralline, some sponges, and some fluorescent encrusting bits that seem to pack quite a sting.

Now comes the really hard part, finding a place for it. I've removed most of the dry rock from the display. All that's left is the big one with arms that the anemone is on, the giant hunk of a rock that I've got some zoas and nice sponges encrusted on (though I should be able to get them off without much loss or trouble), and the really flat one that I love.

I have about a cup of Emaco mortar but only around 20-25mL of Acryl-60 mix, and my Home Depot is, uh, dinky and doesn't have a big selection of hydraulic cement and bonding agents. I PMed Jstn to ask his advice if any of what they have will work, hopefully they will and I won't have to wait a week to get some rocks together :)

jedimasterben

Any pics of the new rock Ben? Was thinking of ordering 5lbs to start my cycle

I'm still in the 'decision' phase. I've got the rock in, old rock out, and have just kinda piled it up. It's not pretty, and the corals and gorgonians that were attached to the old rocks are now just, uh, kinda sitting around lol. I'll hopefully have something ready this weekend if I can get some mortar.

This will have to do for now.

IMG_20150212_210555203.jpg

Like my super high-tech non-ghetto light blocker? :lol:

jedimasterben

So you changed out all your for new rock?

Was it because of the dinos?

No, I only swapped out some of it. I got fresh rock because it's been about a year since my last rock addition, wanted to get some fresh bacteria, coralline, and hitchhikers in the tank.

jedimasterben

So. Damned. Close.

IMG_20150215_203720446.jpg

Got a few things to finish up before this light can be fully assembled. Waiting on the controller, hanging kit, another SCW for fan power, and new LDD driver boards. There is also one LED that popped off of an array, so I'll end up replacing that, as well. In the mean time, I can have the light ghetto hung and connected to my current Bluefish and have four out of six fans running all the time. And when I say ghetto, I mean ghetto.

No, this rock was collected on Monday and shipped out on Tuesday.

Extremely odd. I got 2 mantis shrimp with my super fresh rock last year, not to mention the latest shipment had a medusa worm too. The sponges are crazy on the rock, bivalves too.
jedimasterben

Extremely odd. I got 2 mantis shrimp with my super fresh rock last year, not to mention the latest shipment had a medusa worm too. The sponges are crazy on the rock, bivalves too.

I got plenty of sponges and what might be some bivalves (tiny ones). But yeah, it's absolutely odd.

I got some a few months ago. Mine had lots of red and pink coralline, sponges and macroalgae, and two mithrax crabs (that died due to mishandling on my part - I left the rock out in the cold too long while I played with rockscaping). Since they've had a chance to mature a little bit, I've found fleshy limpets, micro feather dusters, some tube worm-ish things, and a few other coral-ish looking things I haven't identified yet. I haven't seen any bivalves, though.

I only got 10 lbs, though. I wonder if I might have had more variety with more or larger rocks?

If you paint that wire with some silver spray paint it will look like stainless steel and be really cool :D

I think the most important thing is for it to be hanging over your tank and turned on :)

Oh yeah, and, pictures?

I got plenty of sponges and what might be some bivalves (tiny ones). But yeah, it's absolutely odd.

Granted mine was from a different source, but I had next to no crustacean hitch hikers on the rock I got. No mantis, pistol, crabs, nothing. Possibly a good thing, but unusual.

jedimasterben

If you paint that wire with some silver spray paint it will look like stainless steel and be really cool :D

I think the most important thing is for it to be hanging over your tank and turned on :)

Oh yeah, and, pictures?

It's just temporary lol

IMG_20150216_114600648.jpg

Archived