Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

from my thread:

@jedimasterben (guess you can't tag people on these boards)

my current setup is:
6 cyan, 6 blue, 8 true violet, 12 cool white, 14 royal blue, 10 royal blue (moon) - total but over two heatsinks
5 drivers
50% //RB
95% 50% //WHITE
70% //BLUE&CYAN
70% //UV
50% //moon

I'm going to replace my moons (RB) with limes (and just use RB driver for moons). Should I replace my CW with NW while I'm at it?
Any recommendations for better changes? Total overhaul is fine with me as well.
Thank you.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh the light guru helping out, just as it should be. All is right in the world. I have an idea to bounce off of you at some point. We'll wait for a bit though, you have enough going on ;)

Are you happy with bare bottom?

jedimasterben

Ahhh the light guru helping out, just as it should be. All is right in the world. I have an idea to bounce off of you at some point. We'll wait for a bit though, you have enough going on ;)

Nah, I never have enough going on :lol:

Not really, I don't like not having sand. I do have the Gyre cranked to 'holy shit' mode, though, and don't have a sandstorm :D

jedimasterben

Got my Avast ATO today, just finished getting the 29g tank cleaned up and in place and getting the pump situated and such. I love pressure sensors :)

What all do you have right now? Drivers, heatsinks, controller, etc?

Mean Well ELN-60-48P x 5

6" x 20" Heatsink x 2

6 cyan, 6 blue, 8 true violet, 12 cool white, 24 royal blue.

reef angel RAnet PWM 6 channel

jedimasterben

Mean Well ELN-60-48P x 5

6" x 20" Heatsink x 2

6 cyan, 6 blue, 8 true violet, 12 cool white, 24 royal blue.

reef angel RAnet PWM 6 channel

Oh ok, good. Do you want to move to an LDD-based setup? You could do 6-8x Nanobox 13up boards, which are $60 each. they're set up in four channels, CH1 is 2x 2700K, 2x lime, 1x 4000K, CH2 is 4x royal blue, CH3 is 1x blue and 1x cyan, CH4 is 2x violet. You'd need 3x LDD for the white channels, 2x LDD for the royal blue, 2x LDD for the blue/cyan, and 2x LDD for the violet if you used 8x boards, and you'd need an HLG-240H-54 power supply. The power supply is about $85, and the LDD plus boards for mounting are another ~80. You could keep the same heatsinks, etc.

The only thing you'd need to change about the RA is to remove some kind of voltage doubler that is inside the little unit. Roberto has given instructions on the Reef Angel forum about doing it with pics, it's pretty easy.

jedimasterben

I have an aquascaping problem.

IMG_20150115_214609802.jpg

And it all started out as 'oh, I should clean the glass, it looks gross'. My big nem also started moving again a few days ago, and now it's a really damned awkward spot. thinking about putting a maxijet blasting 1500GPH at it right there to make it want to move back up into the nook in that rock.

And it all started out as 'oh, I should clean the glass, it looks gross'. My big nem also started moving again a few days ago, and now it's a really damned awkward spot. thinking about putting a maxijet blasting 1500GPH at it right there to make it want to move back up into the nook in that rock.

it's better I think

It looks too proportional and even, maybe remove some rock so the two islands aren't the same-ish size? Hard to do with shallow tanks I think though.

:o

I don't see a problem.

I like where the nem is, tell him to stay. :) I also like the two rocks, the left hand rock needs to be covered in Acros.

Put the leather in the sump.

jedimasterben

It looks too proportional and even, maybe remove some rock so the two islands aren't the same-ish size? Hard to do with shallow tanks I think though.

I agree. I did most of the looking at it top-down and it looked good, but from the front, not so much.

I don't see a problem.

I like where the nem is, tell him to stay. :) I also like the two rocks, the left hand rock needs to be covered in Acros.

But I can't see it where it is. :/

Put the leather in the sump.

Why would I do that?

I like it.. agree it's a little too "even" but it still looks good. I think if you just removed the small front rock on the right it would look great.

jedimasterben

I don't like leathers? /shrug :)

Why? They look nice, they're all flowy, what's not to like? lol

I like it.. agree it's a little too "even" but it still looks good. I think if you just removed the small front rock on the right it would look great.

Which one? the one that is off by itself? That one has my maxi minis on it and one of them is a moron and moved to the bottom, bleached itself out, and then stuck to the starboard, so I pried it up and squished it into a hole in the rock, waiting for it to attach. That orientation was the only one that I could get it to not fly off with even reduced flow.

Why? They look nice, they're all flowy, what's not to like? lol

Which one? the one that is off by itself? That one has my maxi minis on it and one of them is a moron and moved to the bottom, bleached itself out, and then stuck to the starboard, so I pried it up and squished it into a hole in the rock, waiting for it to attach. That orientation was the only one that I could get it to not fly off with even reduced flow.

the one on the right side pile, left side of that pile, closest to the glass.. looks out of place and I think it would make the two pile just different enough in size to balance a little better.

jedimasterben

the one on the right side pile, left side of that pile, closest to the glass.. looks out of place and I think it would make the two pile just different enough in size to balance a little better.

Pretty sure that's the one I'm talking about, and it'll get moved back where it was today. Can you circle it on the pic?

jedimasterben

that's just what I'd do, but I'm no aquascape expert..

Yes, that is the rock I'm talking about, it's there temporarily.

Yes, that is the rock I'm talking about, it's there temporarily.

Where was it? I would move it into the right front corner. Move that lazy gorg out of the way. I agree with getting acros on the left rock to get some height there. Then you'll get diagonal "movement" in your 'scape composition and it will flow visually.

Archived