inTank Media Baskets

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think stylos can get too much flow. I've blasted mine with just about everything and all that happens is the new growth bends away from the flow. The only issue I've ever had with stylos is shipping. In the two cases I've ordered stylos online they came in with significant tissue loss that I was able to save with copious amounts of superglue. Unfortunately both turned out to be green and I sold them.

jedimasterben

Maybe Chris is secretly lusting for a Gyre? :lol:

OH, that's right! He doesn't understand how non-MP40s work, I remember now. :lol:

I don't think stylos can get too much flow. I've blasted mine with just about everything and all that happens is the new growth bends away from the flow. The only issue I've ever had with stylos is shipping. In the two cases I've ordered stylos online they came in with significant tissue loss that I was able to save with copious amounts of superglue. Unfortunately both turned out to be green and I sold them.

Exactly, stylos come from the reef crest. I could put them an inch from the Gyre and it would still be a walk in the park.

I'm still just not sure. With as much carbon and Purigen as I run there couldn't be anything from the soft corals that would keep stonies from doing anything, right? I've got one acan and one lobophyllia as my only LPS, and both of those are just living.

My Acros get annoyed when I have too much Carbon in my tank, even run passively. No Coralline growth makes me wonder as well. Something must be out of whack.

jedimasterben

My Acros get annoyed when I have too much Carbon in my tank, even run passively. No Coralline growth makes me wonder as well. Something must be out of whack.

Even when I first started this 80g tank in summer 2012 I never had any coralline, and that was before I stepped up my filtration. I don't think I even used carbon at all back then, just a skimmer (same as I have now, actually) and a giant refugium with some sand and macros.

I think it's possible Purigen is stripping the water too clean. I might remove it for a month or so and see what happens, if anything.

jedimasterben

I think it's possible Purigen is stripping the water too clean. I might remove it for a month or so and see what happens, if anything.

Definitely a possibility. I'll back off a bit on the filtration side and see what I can see. I will still run some carbon, but I'll cut it down to around half. I'm still not sure what all Purigen has been taking out of the water, but after around a week of being in the water, unlit in the sump, it is piss yellow-orange. :blink: That started after I added the UV sterilizer.

Definitely a possibility. I'll back off a bit on the filtration side and see what I can see. I will still run some carbon, but I'll cut it down to around half. I'm still not sure what all Purigen has been taking out of the water, but after around a week of being in the water, unlit in the sump, it is piss yellow-orange. :blink: That started after I added the UV sterilizer.

I ran purigen in smaller tanks and it yellows quickly. In freshwater it would last for months but in salt I never had any luck with it and I certainly did not see any improvement that I could measure or see.

jedimasterben

Are you params stable?

I don't know what would be fluctuating. Alk is stable (no uptake) and nitrate/phosphate are always detectable, though low. Mag is in the 1300s, calcium was like 500 last time I checked, but I did a couple of 40% changes with regular Instant Ocean which has cal around 380-400, so it should be a good bit lower now, but there should be no uptake.

I ran purigen in smaller tanks and it yellows quickly. In freshwater it would last for months but in salt I never had any luck with it and I certainly did not see any improvement that I could measure or see.

I definitely get more clarity when it is in use, but we'll see how it does without it :)

Why do you keep saying this? I don't get it.

Your flow is like a moving brick wall... and yes stylos can get to much forceful flow.

I wouldn't rule out the excessive carbon and purigen either but the brick wall doesn't help in not ripping the flesh right off it lol

OH, that's right! He doesn't understand how non-MP40s work, I remember now. :lol:

I know how its supposed to work.... its just a moving brick wall :lol:

jedimasterben

Your flow is like a moving brick wall... and yes stylos can get to much forceful flow.

I wouldn't rule out the excessive carbon and purigen either but the brick wall doesn't help in not ripping the flesh right off it lol

You can see the flow pattern in that video (starting at 2:01). Even if I could have put it a few inches directly in the path of it, it wouldn't have been enough to shear the flesh off of it. Don't forget that these corals come from the ocean with wave action with much more velocity than with the Gyre (or any other style powerhead) that is in the same style as that of the gyre, a 'brick wall' as you will.

I can't really tell in the video, but how do you have your flow cages positioned? My Gyre seems to be pushing water downward instead of forward even though its in constant speed forward mode unless I have the 'top' two openings facing behind the unit and the 'bottom' opening facing forward.

jedimasterben

I can't really tell in the video, but how do you have your flow cages positioned? My Gyre seems to be pushing water downward instead of forward even though its in constant speed forward mode unless I have the 'top' two openings facing behind the unit and the 'bottom' opening facing forward.

I have the forward cages and rotors installed, and they're both pointed to push straight forward. There are two sets of larger openings and one smaller opening, the smaller one is the output.

Same here. I got nothing. No excess algae growth (and good filtration to back it up) so I assume no nitrate or phosphate, plus those would just brown it out and not outright kill it. Salinity is good, alk is good and hasn't changed, temperature isn't controlled but also doesn't fluctuate more than ~2 degrees, which isn't bad. Eh. I guess I'm not ready yet.

10lbs uncured rock being collected tomorrow (weather permitting) and shipped Tuesday for Wednesday delivery from KP Aquatics. If you haven't seen it, they have a new website that is worlds better than the old one. :)http://www.kpaquatics.com/

Is it inland mined like reefsAver then sent out to sea? I'm guessing you are trying to increase your diversity.

jedimasterben

Is it inland mined like reefsAver then sent out to sea? I'm guessing you are trying to increase your diversity.

Yes, the same stuff that MarcoRocks and Reefcleaners sell, mined in the Keys, then left out in 30' of water for a few years.

It'll have bristleworms, what I'm mostly interested in, besides bacteria and copepods.

Yes, the same stuff that MarcoRocks and Reefcleaners sell, mined in the Keys, then left out in 30' of water for a few years.

It'll have bristleworms, what I'm mostly interested in, besides bacteria and copepods.

Fair enough, can you request shapes?

I have the forward cages and rotors installed, and they're both pointed to push straight forward. There are two sets of larger openings and one smaller opening, the smaller one is the output.

Hm, okay. I have mine at 40% on pulse but idk. I seem to need a high power percentage to get it to push across my 36 inch long tank, but if I put it up high enough to do that (40-50% at least) than I'm concerned it's too much for my fish (bangi cardinal, pajama cardinal, 6-line). Not to mention it kicks up sand creating channels on the sides of my rocks in the sand. I wonder if I would've been better with an MP-10?

Wait - there are different ways to install the cages?

UNCURED ROCK FTW. I get mine, repeatedly, from Gulf Live Rock.

Hm, okay. I have mine at 40% on pulse but idk. I seem to need a high power percentage to get it to push across my 36 inch long tank, but if I put it up high enough to do that (40-50% at least) than I'm concerned it's too much for my fish (bangi cardinal, pajama cardinal, 6-line). Not to mention it kicks up sand creating channels on the sides of my rocks in the sand. I wonder if I would've been better with an MP-10?

I have a 36" tank, it's on 90% and it's doing a really good job.

Archived