Cultivated Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Ben think I could get away with one of the rabbit fish in my 35g there are a couple at my LFS real small less than 2 inches

Depends on the species. Some grow faster than others, but a few of the species grow really quickly to around 3" and then go slow from there.

Hey Ben, quick question, my apex and shiz is mounted to a board inside my stand, I'm concerned about moisture damaging the electronics. Your a savvy guy with this stuff, if I mounted one, maybe two 120mm, AC fans I side blowing out would it keep the moisture down, or am I worried over nothing? Sorry to jack yo thread. Thanks.

jedimasterben

Hey Ben, quick question, my apex and shiz is mounted to a board inside my stand, I'm concerned about moisture damaging the electronics. Your a savvy guy with this stuff, if I mounted one, maybe two 120mm, AC fans I side blowing out would it keep the moisture down, or am I worried over nothing? Sorry to jack yo thread. Thanks.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you notice the moisture building up. If it is, fans are super easy to add and pretty cheap.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you notice the moisture building up. If it is, fans are super easy to add and pretty cheap.

Thanks man!

I've looked at a few, they are cheap, wondering what brand to get as I know little about them. Looking @ 120 x120 x 38 AC fans, suggestions, I might grab 2 just in case I need them I don't have to wait.

jedimasterben

Thanks man!

I've looked at a few, they are cheap, wondering what brand to get as I know little about them. Looking @ 120 x120 x 38 AC fans, suggestions, I might grab 2 just in case I need them I don't have to wait.

I don't know much about AC powered fans, just DC.

I used the kit lens for all of these. For fish photos, put the camera in shutter priority mode and set it to 1/125. Set ISO as low as you can without the photos darkening too much. Also turn your lights to maximum output (of course keeping the same color ratio as you have now so the tank always looks the same).

I like the nifty fifty, but you have to be physically so far away to use it it makes it a little unwieldy.

Thanks, Ben - that's pretty much how I've been doing it too. My problem has been that my fish all either move fast and continuously (clowns) or hang out in the shadows under the rocks (pink streaked wrasse). So all I get is dark/blurry/grainy (usually all three). Today it finally occurred to me that I have this flash thingy on my camera...brilliant! It's at least better than what I was getting before :)

jedimasterben

Thanks, Ben - that's pretty much how I've been doing it too. My problem has been that my fish all either move fast and continuously (clowns) or hang out in the shadows under the rocks (pink streaked wrasse). So all I get is dark/blurry/grainy (usually all three). Today it finally occurred to me that I have this flash thingy on my camera...brilliant! It's at least better than what I was getting before :)

Yeah, it's very difficult to get pictures of my tang, wrasse, and betta for those same reasons! I just take a LOT of photos and use manual focus (auto focus is far too slow to keep up) and hope that one turns out. For this last shoot, I had 23 photos make the cut out of 317 taken. Better than my old ratio of five photos for every 200 taken :)

Love the Gorgonians. You have inspired me to buy 4 :P

I love them, too. Still haven't figured out what to do with the one gorg that is just chillin out on the bottom lol

Same species as yours

Just watch out, there is another species that looks very similar to S. doliatus, S. virgatus, usually still sold as a scribbled rabbit. The difference being that scribbled, well, have scribbledy lines while virgatus have few lines and mostly spots with the same colors.

jedimasterben

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

This GBG has balls of ####ing steel to constantly hang out less than 6" away from a large, predatory fish that I'm sure would love to snack on it! lol

IMG_0916.jpg

Great pics Ben! Need to beef up my cuc from reef cleaners, gonna order a bunch of Florida cerithes and nerites. There was something you said not to get what was it again?

jedimasterben

Great pics Ben! Need to beef up my cuc from reef cleaners, gonna order a bunch of Florida cerithes and nerites. There was something you said not to get what was it again?

Ceriths and nerites lol. It more than likely is just me that is having issue with the ceriths, but the only nerites I have in the tank are ones that I collected myself mostly by accident. These are seeming to stay put inside the tank, but I wouldn't doubt that in time their behavior will match the rest of the species.

jedimasterben

All your FTSs have different lighting schemes. Which do you prefer?

Scape looks awesome, btw.

Thanks!

All the lights have looked basically the same since June of last year, only the tank layout has changed lol. I like my current light the best, until my next light, which I'll probably like better :D

But at the moment I'm hating this light. Came home and three of the six working white LED strings were out. Not sure what the issue is, I'm about to pull it down and check everything out. Sigh.

jedimasterben

Really nice flow. No dead spots at all it seems?

Detritus builds up under the leftmost rock pile, but that's pretty easy to take care of, very satisfied otherwise.

jedimasterben

Gorgeous!

You feed heavy!

It's about 1.3" square of LRS 'Reef Frenzy'. I also feed around 1/4 teaspoon of pellets spread out around 4 hours when I'm home in the evenings. I usually do the big frozen feeding at 9PM. I do think I cut the strips too large, though, I think it's a bit much for the fish I have now. Once the betta starts eating really well, though, I think it'll be about right.

I'm thinking about getting rid of the trigger. He is still being a little bit dickish to the other fish, especially the betta. Hasn't torn any of its fins or anything, but if it does, I don't care that it's a (normally) very expensive fish, that bitch is gonna get dead.

Archived