Cultivated Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

CronicReefer

Dueling gyre is sick setup man. You're going to love the oxydator too, it's seriously the best $44 I've ever spent and I'm wishing I had ordered it months ago.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

What is that?

An Oxydator and a controller for the Maxspect Gyre.

Dueling gyre is sick setup man. You're going to love the oxydator too, it's seriously the best $44 I've ever spent and I'm wishing I had ordered it months ago.

What changes have you noticed in the tank? Note that I am extremely skeptical of this device (well, I'm skeptical about pretty much anything in the hobby lol). I should have some (fairly) quantifiable data soon as to the amount of gelbstoff in the water, but beyond that, dissolved oxygen content, redox potential, and pH I do not have the means to monitor. I know someone that will be doing a test like that, though, so I look forward to his results :)

CronicReefer

What changes have you noticed in the tank? Note that I am extremely skeptical of this device (well, I'm skeptical about pretty much anything in the hobby lol). I should have some (fairly) quantifiable data soon as to the amount of gelbstoff in the water, but beyond that, dissolved oxygen content, redox potential, and pH I do not have the means to monitor. I know someone that will be doing a test like that, though, so I look forward to his results :)

Most noticeable is my sand bed. It was starting to become covered in micro algaes/detritus (I have a DSB so I can't clean it like I would like to) and now it looks like the day I bought it, it is completely white again. That alone was enough to satisfy me beyond any expectation I had for the oxydator. I have also noticed the little bits of hair algae I had are fading away as well. My skimmer is also pulling slightly drier skim/thicker foam compared to before. It uses an air pump so I'm guessing the increased oxygen in the water is aiding in the way it skims. I don't worry much about redox potential simply because it is such a complicated chemistry process and I don't really fully understand it. My pH stays above 8.0 at night which I was never able to accomplish before so that is another noticeable difference.

jedimasterben

Most noticeable is my sand bed. It was starting to become covered in micro algaes/detritus (I have a DSB so I can't clean it like I would like to) and now it looks like the day I bought it, it is completely white again. That alone was enough to satisfy me beyond any expectation I had for the oxydator. I have also noticed the little bits of hair algae I had are fading away as well. My skimmer is also pulling slightly drier skim/thicker foam compared to before. It uses an air pump so I'm guessing the increased oxygen in the water is aiding in the way it skims. I don't worry much about redox potential simply because it is such a complicated chemistry process and I don't really fully understand it. My pH stays above 8.0 at night which I was never able to accomplish before so that is another noticeable difference.

Gotcha. Well, I don't have any sand except for some in my now-unlit sump, and I do not have hardly any algae growth on the glass - after a few days, I will have a very light dusting, despite feeding like a maniac. Today's menu included four pinches of NLS 1mm pellets, one cube of mysis, and one cube of cyclop-eeze. A couple days ago it was six or eight pellet pinches and 2 sq in of LRS food :)

If it can help out this Reef Octopus skimmer I've got, then I'll be as happy as a clam! It is touchy to begin with (even though I've got it in 5.5" of water) but when it does go for a while it skims like a BOSS. :)

Pssssh, great, no I want 2 Gyres

:lol:

It's a little... uh, touchy in there now. I'm actually worried that the nem is going to walk on me if the pair of them both stay on for any length of time. I wish that I had a controller, or some kind of timer that switches one outlet off and the other on at the same time, but couldn't find anything like that.

Also, on another note, a few days ago I had put my Gyre 130 back to full power 100% of the time instead of 1 second pulses. I came home today to every gorgonian with full polyp extension, whereas before, I didn't have much on some of them. Seems that they were aching for some more laminar flow!

CronicReefer

Gotcha. Well, I don't have any sand except for some in my now-unlit sump, and I do not have hardly any algae growth on the glass - after a few days, I will have a very light dusting, despite feeding like a maniac. Today's menu included four pinches of NLS 1mm pellets, one cube of mysis, and one cube of cyclop-eeze. A couple days ago it was six or eight pellet pinches and 2 sq in of LRS food :)

If it can help out this Reef Octopus skimmer I've got, then I'll be as happy as a clam! It is touchy to begin with (even though I've got it in 5.5" of water) but when it does go for a while it skims like a BOSS. :)

I honestly am super impressed with this Red Sea Berlin Airlift (it was only $35 with shipping). It works better than my PLS-50 ever did on its best day. Your feeding is crazy btw. I'm never sure if I'm feeding too much or too little. I keep a reef lobster and I feed him the same amount as my two clowns and dottyback are fed each day, sometimes even more if he is acting really aggressive. I feed LRS Reef Frenzy so I'm not really sure what would be considered a cube for that either. I also dose 2mL Fuel daily for my corals.

jedimasterben

I honestly am super impressed with this Red Sea Berlin Airlift (it was only $35 with shipping). It works better than my PLS-50 ever did on its best day. Your feeding is crazy btw. I'm never sure if I'm feeding too much or too little. I keep a reef lobster and I feed him the same amount as my two clowns and dottyback are fed each day, sometimes even more if he is acting really aggressive. I feed LRS Reef Frenzy so I'm not really sure what would be considered a cube for that either. I also dose 2mL Fuel daily for my corals.

Well, fish are used to eating small meals all the time, so it's best to attempt to replicate that, though not always possible. I do pellets as the 'small' feedings throughout the day and then the frozen food is for my marine betta and for all of my corals and gorgonians.

I feed so much food that I'm pretty sure NPS would love me. I have a frag of sun corals that seems to be doing well.

Basically, feed as much as your filtration allows you to :)

I figure I really don't need two in a tank my size lol. What exactly does an oxidizer do?

Supposed to be the bees knees. See the above reply and lists some of the things that it is supposed to do. :)

jedimasterben

As of this morning, the nem was still in place, though it wasn't quite as spread out as it normally is, which is ok with me since it normally leans a little to the left and brushes up on the Grube's gorgonian and makes it close its polyps.

Hey ben do me a favor and let me know your experience with the oxydator. Ive been thinking of picking one up...mainly because my PH typically drops at night due to excess CO2. My thoughts are the oxydator will have the similar effects to a CO2 scrubber and help keep PH stable throughout the day.

Tank looks awesome BTW love the duel gyres

Looking good but would look even better with sand. :P

I have to agree :happy: But theres no way he could keep the gyres on full tilt with a sandbed

jedimasterben

Hey ben do me a favor and let me know your experience with the oxydator. Ive been thinking of picking one up...mainly because my PH typically drops at night due to excess CO2. My thoughts are the oxydator will have the similar effects to a CO2 scrubber and help keep PH stable throughout the day.

Tank looks awesome BTW love the duel gyres

I'll let you know, but I don't have any way of monitoring pH and such right now. :/

Looking good but would look even better with sand. :P

I'm with you there, man, but the thought of it just makes me nervous. :scarry:

I have to agree :happy: But theres no way he could keep the gyres on full tilt with a sandbed

The sand I had in it was ok with the Gyre 150 at like 40-50% but anything over that it started blowing it from the far end where it goes down.

I'll let you know, but I don't have any way of monitoring pH and such right now. :/

Im curious to what it does to your algae particularly the dinos...I still see traces every now and then that i manually remove.

jedimasterben

Im curious to what it does to your algae particularly the dinos...I still see traces every now and then that i manually remove.

I don't really have much algae other than some light fuzz on the rocks. I get a very light dusting of algae on the glass every few days, but that's it. I also have not seen dinos in microscope samples for many months now. I'm not going to assume that they're 100% gone, but I'm pretty happy now :)

Also, video of the two gyres on simultaneously, 150 at 60% and the 130 at 100%. :o

NirvanaandTool

I've been considering running both so that I can do a full reverse gyre but not really sure yet. Don't particularly want two pumps in the tank but may do it anyway lol. Especially if running them vertical next to the overflow they'll really blend in.

Oxydator is super old tech. A lot of 'fluff' about them being the best fix for water clarity and quality, oxygen saturation, etc, but I've seen no data published on them. I have a lot of gelbstoff in my water which leads to a yellowish tint, so figured I might as well give it a shot. Did some work with Neill from Saltwater Conversion so traded it for one of those.

Put the Gyres on the ReefAngel in a Wavemaker A&B setup. A goes on when B is off. I think that's how it works at least.

Hmm interesting - wonder how it does. Extra oxygen in the water never really hurt anyone. How big is the thing in the sump?

BTW - the dual gyres are insane. ALL THE FLOW!

Your trigger and rabbit don't know what to do in all that flow.

So your gorgs like all the extra flow? Maybe I should crank mine up some more.

jedimasterben

Put the Gyres on the ReefAngel in a Wavemaker A&B setup. A goes on when B is off. I think that's how it works at least.

Hmm interesting - wonder how it does. Extra oxygen in the water never really hurt anyone. How big is the thing in the sump?

BTW - the dual gyres are insane. ALL THE FLOW!

Your trigger and rabbit don't know what to do in all that flow.

So your gorgs like all the extra flow? Maybe I should crank mine up some more.

Well, I don't have a Reef Angel, that is the first problem :P

The whole Oxydator 'A' model is pretty big. Like 8" tall, 4" around.

Yes, my gorgonians were not happy when the 130 was in pulse mode. they want 100% all the time :P

A store called 'Aquatic and Exotic', no less :D

They're kinda bleached, they'll probably be a combination of brown and green when they fully recover, though there were loads at the store that looked the same, so maybe they'll stay as-is. In the store these were the largest I've ever seen, well over 2" per polyp. I apparently have much more light than they do lol

LOL...sometimes I surprise myself :D.

I hope they aren't bleached and they stay that color fingerscrossed.

jedimasterben

Got a little copperband butterfly today. Have pretty much given up on the butterfly I actually want (Forcipiger longirostrus, aka the long longnose butterfly) for now, but if I find one, you know I'm gonna get it :)

Copperband was eating at the store, snacking up brine like candy. Should love some LRS :)

jedimasterben

My Mandy doesn't she was being blown about and would spend extra effort steadying herself to peck at the rocks. I turned my gyre down to 60%

I will try and get a video with the DSLR to show what my mandarin looks like. It floats around like nothing is happening. Not all fish come from the reef crest where there is insane flow all the times, but most can be transitioned to it without much issue.

Archived