Pod Your Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Hey ben noticed any effects from the oxydator yet?

No sir, not yet. I do think I actually have MORE algae on the glass though instead of less :lol:

Mr. Microscope

It's really exciting about your two gyres going.

COPPERBAND!!!! I'm very excited to see that one. Best of luck with it!

Also, Ben, I've been thinking about an oxydator lately. Do you have experience with them?

jedimasterben

Also, Ben, I've been thinking about an oxydator lately. Do you have experience with them?

At this point it is technically a 'yes' but it was installed on Thursday or so, so I have no practical experience at this point.

Mr. Microscope

At this point it is technically a 'yes' but it was installed on Thursday or so, so I have no practical experience at this point.

Can it be used in the sump or does it need to be in the DT?
jedimasterben

Can it be used in the sump or does it need to be in the DT?

Water wants to be at equilibrium, so it shouldn't matter where you put it.

jedimasterben

Beautiful Copperband, good luck with it.

Thanks! It was eating at the store with gusto, and it is eyeing frozen mysis, so I'd imagine that it will be eating some LRS when I put it in. I fed pellets yesterday and it got smacked in the face with one and was like WHO DID THAT

rescape looks good Ben, those two gyre's are making a ridiculous amout of flow.

any update on that T5 review?

Very soon. Driver boards should be arriving today or tomorrow and I'll be putting the whole Sunpower back together.

NirvanaandTool

Nice CBB! Even nicer that it was eating at the store. I love my butterfly, one of my favorite fish.

Well, I don't have a Reef Angel, that is the first problem :P

The whole Oxydator 'A' model is pretty big. Like 8" tall, 4" around.

Yes, my gorgonians were not happy when the 130 was in pulse mode. they want 100% all the time :P

Thought you had a Reef Angel. My bad.
Ah decent sized. Well if you have good results with it, might be tempted to try it. Looking for anything to help fight off the HA I'm dealing with lately.
100% all the time. Insanity. I'm at 70% forward, 50% reverse in alternate gyre on the 150 now, turned it up a little to see if my gorgs want more flow. My waspfish gets blown around on the bottom in the forward direction , its kind of hilarious to watch.
jedimasterben

Nice CBB! Even nicer that it was eating at the store. I love my butterfly, one of my favorite fish.

Thought you had a Reef Angel. My bad.
Ah decent sized. Well if you have good results with it, might be tempted to try it. Looking for anything to help fight off the HA I'm dealing with lately.
100% all the time. Insanity. I'm at 70% forward, 50% reverse in alternate gyre on the 150 now, turned it up a little to see if my gorgs want more flow. My waspfish gets blown around on the bottom in the forward direction , its kind of hilarious to watch.

I had a Reef Angel a year and a half or so ago.

For the Oxydator, it turns out it simply leaks a tiny amount of peroxide into the water at a controlled rate, nothing fancy is going on.

BB eh? I like it.

I don't really, but it's decent, and with the flow I have I don't have to worry about it. Next time I do anything I will use a single piece of starboard and will silicone it to the bottom of the tank.

I've had a galaxea in the past, but it didn't do all that well (though, I believe I got it after the dinos started, so that may have had somethign to do with it). I currently have three LPS corals, a lobophyllia, one acan, and a candy cane/trumpet. The lobo and acan are both just surviving, it seems, but at least they are doing that. Both receded a bit when I first put them in, but are doing ok now, no more recession, though no more growth, either. This is in stark contrast to how it used to be, acans and SPS grew like weeds. But, oh well, it's not the biggest deal, I guess. I've got my soft coral, gorgonians, and anemones.

Hey have you figured out why this seems to be the case? I'm in the same boat, except I have some coralline growth. Params are stable, but can only grow softies and at best keep LPS alive

NorthGaHillbilly

I've never done starboard...does it resist coraline? Yours looks very clean.

It attracts it, Bens tank just has a hex against coraline

NirvanaandTool

I had a Reef Angel a year and a half or so ago.

For the Oxydator, it turns out it simply leaks a tiny amount of peroxide into the water at a controlled rate, nothing fancy is going on.

I don't really, but it's decent, and with the flow I have I don't have to worry about it. Next time I do anything I will use a single piece of starboard and will silicone it to the bottom of the tank.

Ah so I was right! I knew you had one at some point! I'm still using mine but mostly for temp control at this point.

Oh makes sense. Like a poor man's ozone I guess. Lots of talk about that little device now but I'm curious to see the tests that some are planning to run on them before I drop $80 for one.

jedimasterben

Hey have you figured out why this seems to be the case? I'm in the same boat, except I have some coralline growth. Params are stable, but can only grow softies and at best keep LPS alive

No, nothing at this point. My acan is doing well, as is a favites, both seem to have covered up the skeleton from where they were cut, so maybe they're growing? Dunno. The lobo is still the same, as is the trumpet.

I've never done starboard...does it resist coraline? Yours looks very clean.

It attracts it, Bens tank just has a hex against coraline

Yep, my tank just doesn't grow it. None on my glass, none on the rocks except what was already there (and it doesn't spread). It's to the point where I'm considering Purple Up :lol:

This is what it ends up looking like for everyone that isn't me:

IMG_0153-001_zpsa5r9kukb.jpg

IMG_0151_zps1btxtahm.jpg

Ah so I was right! I knew you had one at some point! I'm still using mine but mostly for temp control at this point.

Oh makes sense. Like a poor man's ozone I guess. Lots of talk about that little device now but I'm curious to see the tests that some are planning to run on them before I drop $80 for one.

I don't bother with temperature control. The temp will be what it will be and corals will be ok with it, they aren't as sensitive to temperature changes as everyone claims :)

Yep, now we have it completely figured out - it simply drips peroxide into the tank water. The super slow rate is just enough to get it to react in the water but not enough so that it causes issues with cleaner shrimp or anemones. If you are curious of the effects, just start dosing small amounts of peroxide and look at the results from that.

jedimasterben

Brought my light to work with me so I could get some more wiring done on it. Got all of the T5 stuff wired in, but didn't bring a soldering iron with me for some reason. The T5 only took me like 10 minutes to do lol, don't think it was worth the effort it took to get it here :)

But the three replacement LED boards will be arriving today from Dave, so hopefully by tonight I'll have a fully assembled light! omgomgomg

No, nothing at this point. My acan is doing well, as is a favites, both seem to have covered up the skeleton from where they were cut, so maybe they're growing? Dunno. The lobo is still the same, as is the trumpet.

Yep, my tank just doesn't grow it. None on my glass, none on the rocks except what was already there (and it doesn't spread). It's to the point where I'm considering Purple Up :lol:

Want me to mail you some of mine?

Tank is looking good man, I can't believe you're running two Gyres!

jedimasterben

Want me to mail you some of mine?

Tank is looking good man, I can't believe you're running two Gyres!

I mean, if you really wanna just send a bag of coralline then you could :lol:

The two Gyres are only on one at a time except for a short period where the two timers overlap a little, I need to try and fix that lol

Archived