Top Shelf Aquatics

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

Sorry if I missed this, with the maxspect gyre can you get random flow of is it constantly pounding your corals from 1 side?

I'm thinking of getting one for my 60g :)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Yikes! Sure hope that uv sterilizer works for you!

I might have missed it, but is there something that causes dinos to take over a tank like this?

Bad luck, mostly.

jedimasterben

Sorry if I missed this, with the maxspect gyre can you get random flow of is it constantly pounding your corals from 1 side?

I'm thinking of getting one for my 60g :)

"random flow" isn't really as most people understand it. If you were to put your hand in front of a powerhead, where does the water go? It hits and then spreads out in every direction that it can. The same is true of water hitting a coral, water hits and then spreads out.

Gyre motion gets the entire water column moving and corals essentially get hit by a wall of water, so they're basically hit everywhere all at once, and as the flow is deflected it's hitting flow from other parts that are deflecting, and so on :)

"random flow" isn't really as most people understand it. If you were to put your hand in front of a powerhead, where does the water go? It hits and then spreads out in every direction that it can. The same is true of water hitting a coral, water hits and then spreads out.

Gyre motion gets the entire water column moving and corals essentially get hit by a wall of water, so they're basically hit everywhere all at once, and as the flow is deflected it's hitting flow from other parts that are deflecting, and so on :)

Thanks :) is it controllable at all? So you can make a wave for when your mates come round :D

jedimasterben

Thanks :) is it controllable at all? So you can make a wave for when your mates come round :D

Yes, it has a built-in controller (and a more advanced wireless controller in the future), but it is not a 'wavemaker'. It can pulse, but it won't make a wave.

Yes, it has a built-in controller (and a more advanced wireless controller in the future), but it is not a 'wavemaker'. It can pulse, but it won't make a wave.

These look awesome, for the flow I think they are a very good price, it's one of these or 3 mp10s

These look awesome, for the flow I think they are a very good price, it's one of these or 3 mp10s

I think for 750$ vs 300 or less... thats a no brainer

If it pulses and doesn't make a wave WTF does it do?

or 3 mp10s

Just get 2 mp40's and call it a $800 day :)

If it pulses and doesn't make a wave WTF does it do?

Just get 2 mp40's and call it a $800 day :)

My tank is 12" tall, mp40s would blow the water on the floor

Uh, pulses?

Anything else I've seen that pulses creates a wave from the stop start motion....

My tank is 12" tall, mp40s would blow the water on the floor

Anything that moves a significant amount of water would I'd imagine without being dialed down quite a bit :(

Gyre is now available in Aus (on a side note, so is AI gear!), if you wanna shell out $399 for base model, makes it more expensive than an MP10WeS for us. That's web pricing as well, will probably be 20% more expensive in store.

How do you like the Jebao 6000 return pump?

I am thinking of upgrading my Cad lights stock pump (500 gph TIA). Mostly to help get detritus out of my water column and into the filter sock instead of settling back down.

Also a funny smell to the water, disappears to a sweet ocean smell when I turn off the return pump and let the tank sit for 1 minute. I am thinking the water flow through the sump could be a little faster.

jedimasterben

How do you like the Jebao 6000 return pump?

I am thinking of upgrading my Cad lights stock pump (500 gph TIA). Mostly to help get detritus out of my water column and into the filter sock instead of settling back down.

Also a funny smell to the water, disappears to a sweet ocean smell when I turn off the return pump and let the tank sit for 1 minute. I am thinking the water flow through the sump could be a little faster.

I have the 6000 turned down to around 33% power and it's just about perfect for my tank. You'll want the 3000. You only want 3-5x tank turnover through the sump, otherwise contact time with your filtration is diminished.

Gyre is now available in Aus (on a side note, so is AI gear!), if you wanna shell out $399 for base model, makes it more expensive than an MP10WeS for us. That's web pricing as well, will probably be 20% more expensive in store.

You guys get screwed on equipment, we get screwed on "aussie coral" pricing.

Hmmm.......

Ben that screen stuff you use for your algae scrubber where can I get some? I gotta make a little box for my sump to grow some cheato in.

Ben that screen stuff you use for your algae scrubber where can I get some? I gotta make a little box for my sump to grow some cheato in.

Just chiming in, but I have seen that stuff at craft stores like Michaels. I think it's used for crochet normally?

jedimasterben

Its call cross stitch, you can find it at pretty much any craft store or Walmart.

ben, how does the gyre do with euphyllia? I find that with my 2 mp10s I get areas with laminar flow regardless of how I arrange them, and my frogspawn doesn't really care for that one-direction flow.. I'm considering replacing my 2 mp10's with a single smaller gyre when they come out, but if they don't do well for euphyllia then I'm not...

jedimasterben
ben, how does the gyre do with euphyllia? I find that with my 2 mp10s I get areas with laminar flow regardless of how I arrange them, and my frogspawn doesn't really care for that one-direction flow.. I'm considering replacing my 2 mp10's with a single smaller gyre when they come out, but if they don't do well for euphyllia then I'm not...

In that case you're just giving them too much flow. Euphyllia come from areas on the reefs that have basically unidirectional flow all the time.

In that case you're just giving them too much flow. Euphyllia come from areas on the reefs that have basically unidirectional flow all the time.

lol, that may be.. all but two heads are fine with it though.. either way, I'm about fed up with mp's..

what page was your video on? I can't seem to find it..

jedimasterben

lol, that may be.. all but two heads are fine with it though.. either way, I'm about fed up with mp's..

what page was your video on? I can't seem to find it..

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/327229-beware-the-shallows-with-maxspect-gyre/page-114#entry4842736

My youtube channel also has the other one, as well. This is the 50w model, so quite a bit more output than the 35w one.

Archived