inTank Media Baskets

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

The higher the intensity, the longer the acclimation, the more flow, and the more food that everything needs to survive.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im still with everyone who agrees that not real impressed with it not creating a random flow pattern.

jedimasterben

Anyone remember how I said I had a pocillopora hitchhike on a gorgonian? It's now fluorescent green :)

IMG_7177.jpg

And I got coralz from lawnman! Awww yeah!

IMG_7164.jpg

IMG_7159.jpg

And a freakin colony!
IMG_7147.jpg

Im still with everyone who agrees that not real impressed with it not creating a random flow pattern.

You realize what gyre flow does, right? Random flow happens at the coral itself, and you do not waste energy by having a dozen powerheads fighting each other.

jedimasterben

Opening up!

IMG_7209.jpg

IMG_7202.jpg

Take two on this fish. This shipment was MUCH better than the last few have been. Still smaller than I'd like, but at least she isn't skinny. She is still very timid and hasn't yet strayed away from that pile of rocks on that side, but she's steady peckin away :)

IMG_7182.jpg

IMG_7186.jpg

Is the leopard wrasse eating frozen?

I want one so bad. Just scared since my tank is young. I have a decent pod population now, but those guys can sure eat.

Man...I want one bad. I'm not a huge wrasse guy, but I have always loved that fish. I've looked for one locally but not had much luck. If I could see one eat, I would snatch it in a second!

jedimasterben

You more than likely won't find one eating unless it's from a hobbyist, unfortunately, and usually they do not ship well at all.

Mr. Microscope

Wow Ben! Great livestock update pics lately! Love that mystery Yuma. I had a whole colony of those at one point. They grow really fast.

That pocilloproa hh is cool. Good luck.

Your new light is boss!

jedimasterben

Thanks! :)

I've never had luck with the Ricordea genus. They either just wither away or float away and disappear. I do have two that I had on a rock that somehow attached and stayed, I was able to save them from the dinos tank (which I actually pulled life support on the other day, everything in it is lost), and they're still ok. They never really grew, never made babehs, they just were. But that's better than nothing, I guess :)

jedimasterben

I really need a better lens than the stock 18-55mm IS lens. I was REALLY spoiled by shooting with my sister's camera, which was one model older than mine but had a really good lens, a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, I went to look one up and they go for ~$475, so I was like uhhh, that's gonna have to wait a bit lol

My sister has a really nice camera which I want to get a nice macro lens for. The one that's on it right now while it's at my place is just a stock 18-55mm lens, I know she has another lens that it by itself is quite expensive.

jedimasterben

These are some of the best with the older camera and better lens.

20121223-IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

This is probably the best picture I've been able to take with the new camera, crappy lens.

IMG_6390.jpg

jedimasterben

All of the above are freehand. I have a really basic tripod now but I only use it for FTS.

I need to learn how to play with the settings on the camera to get some decent shots. But more than that I need to get to pretinning these LED pads.

jedimasterben

Set the camera to Av mode for shooting corals, typically take the aperture as low as it will go, and ISO as low as it will go and still not be too dark. For shooting fish, set it to Tv mode and set shutter speed to 1/125 or faster. Shoot in RAW and adjust in post if necessary.

I want the riptide too, ben. Also, your pictures are fantastic! I need to learn how to use my wife's camera so I can get better pictures than this crappy GS4 camera.

Archived