Coral Vue Hydros

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Looks like both of the Jebao pumps will arrive tomorrow. I could have sworn they would get here today, so I made a special trip to Home Depot for nothing :lol:

That looks much better with the blue. I don't really have heat issues even though I'm all air. I have a Gigabyte GTX 760 with the huge ass Windforce cooler and it keeps it nice and cool. I haven't overclocked it yet though, no real need to, the thing is a beast. My Phenom II 965 has been running at 4ghz since the day I got it a few years ago on air, no issues there either. It won't keep a stable 4.1 though and that makes me sad. Hopefully I can just upgrade it to a FX 6300 soon as I can find work.

jedimasterben

That looks much better with the blue. I don't really have heat issues even though I'm all air. I have a Gigabyte GTX 760 with the huge ass Windforce cooler and it keeps it nice and cool. I haven't overclocked it yet though, no real need to, the thing is a beast. My Phenom II 965 has been running at 4ghz since the day I got it a few years ago on air, no issues there either. It won't keep a stable 4.1 though and that makes me sad. Hopefully I can just upgrade it to a FX 6300 soon as I can find work.

You'd get more stock performance out of a 2500K than the FX-6300, and you can find those used for about the same price, maybe a bit more.Take it to 4.4-4.8 (which is within reason) and you'll be at Haswell performance.

You'd get more stock performance out of a 2500K than the FX-6300, and you can find those used for about the same price, maybe a bit more.Take it to 4.4-4.8 (which is within reason) and you'll be at Haswell performance.

Talking about an i5? I don't want to do a full switch, I'm using a UD5 that's great and I'd rather keep with this board and do only a cpu upgrade.

jedimasterben

Talking about an i5? I don't want to do a full switch, I'm using a UD5 that's great and I'd rather keep with this board and do only a cpu upgrade.

Ah gotcha. I would still consider it, though, especially if you can get a nice chip second hand. I took a 2500K to 4.6GHz on a mediocre cooler, so if you have a good one it would go farther, and even just at 4.2-4.4 it embarrasses the 8-core AMD chips in just about everything except fully-multithreaded encoding and compute programs. :)

Ah gotcha. I would still consider it, though, especially if you can get a nice chip second hand. I took a 2500K to 4.6GHz on a mediocre cooler, so if you have a good one it would go farther, and even just at 4.2-4.4 it embarrasses the 8-core AMD chips in just about everything except fully-multithreaded encoding and compute programs. :)

If I ever do make the switch it's gonna be a full on super upgrade with a 2011 socket setup. Dat 10mb L3. Rawr. Mobo's are so expensive for that socket though.

I haven't used Intel since the Prescott days. Always loved the backwards compatibility of AMD, saved so much money that way.

jedimasterben

If I ever do make the switch it's gonna be a full on super upgrade with a 2011 socket setup. Dat 10mb L3. Rawr. Mobo's are so expensive for that socket though.

I haven't used Intel since the Prescott days. Always loved the backwards compatibility of AMD, saved so much money that way.

Yeah, and no Haswell, either, a Haswell wit a soldered IHS - MMMMM that would be a beast of a beast. I'm pretty sure, though, that Intel is going to use their soldered IHS only on their 'enthusiast' sockets from now on to push overclockers to the more expensive stuff.

My last AMD chip was an Opteron 165. Dual core, 1.8GHz, dropped it in a replacement for a 3200+ (2.0GHz). I had the original chip overclocked to 2.8GHz on its stock voltage, and when I put in the O165, I had forgotten to clear the BIOS, so it was immediately OCd to 2.8GHz and was stable. After that, I went to an Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 and took it from 1.86GHz to 3.15GHz (almost 100% OC). After that moved to a Lynnfield-based Xeon X3440 quad core and OCd it from 2.53 to 4.4GHz. Got a BITCHIN deal on an i7-970 six core and took that thing to 4.2GHz, that's the most I could pump into it. That was also the CPU I almost destroyed with my evaporative cooler, whoops :)

Sold that and went to my current i7 2600K (taking it to 5GHz, settling on 4.8 to lower voltage a bit) since there has been no competition from AMD in the medium-high end, especially since I was doing a lot of video encoding and am power-conscious.

So anyway, in tank news -

This dwarf cerith has survived what I didn't think any could.

IMG_20140329_175423381.jpg

So when I took my tank down in late December, I siphoned all the sand out first, and left it outside (I drained as much water from the buckets as I could, too). It's been rainy, filling the buckets completely with freshwater, it's been freezing on at least a dozen nights since then, and other times it has been 90 degrees. I rinsed out one bucket over a few hours the other night before putting it back in the tank, and I'll be damned, this dwarf cerith is not only alive, but moving, crawling, and nomming! WTF

jedimasterben

Just drained the holding garbage can that had the rock in it, YUCK YUCK ICKY ICKY YUCK. yuck

Got another 25g of water mixing right now to begin dips and transfer of corals to another tank to attempt to rid the dinoflagellates. It will be an ongoing series of dips and moves, but I am praying it will be all over soon!!

Tomorrow starts the $/G sale at Petco, I'm considering buying two 10g tanks and putting them side-by-side on a 2x4 stand to do the transfers in/with. That way it will be ultra simple to drain and fill and move to the next tank, and I can have a light hanging basically between them that I can just aim at the tank beside it when I transfer over.

I don't think I outlined the plan that I've come up with thanks to the help of 'Mr Pants'. Freshwater dips (or at least dips with a salinity variance greater than 10ppt) kill the living bajeezus out of dinos. I'm going to move my corals, rocks, and inverts out of the 14g biocube I have them in now, give them a quick hit with a soft brush, and then go into a 15ppt dip. I don't want to do 0ppt water since I don't want to lose some of my inverts, money cowries, hawkwing conch, pistol shrimpies, maxi anemones, and serpent stars in particular, so the 15ppt dip will be a 20ppt difference in salinity and FAR less harsh than a 0ppt dip. Then they'll go into another scrub/rinse bucket of saltwater, and then into the next holding tank (that's where the 10g tanks come into play).

I will be swapping everything out every week or two, draining the previous tank, scrubbing it out outside to dislodge any dinos or dinocysts (or possibly buying a large heater and just nuking the thing at 100F, not sure what temps would kill the dinocysts though), and then refilling with new saltwater, and doing another scrub/dip/rinse/place in new tank. I will be repeating that for as long as I think it will help, and I plan on sending a couple more water samples for Mr Pants to look at in the future to see if anything has changed (if he will let me :) ).

jedimasterben

So I'm picking up seven corals from Morgan tomorrow. Probably the only things I'll get at the swap, though I KNOW that there will be some sweet birdsnest colonies like always for ultra cheap that I'm gonna stay away from :)

Previously pictured.

P3100016__84983_zoom.JPG

P3290117__10280_zoom.JPG

P3290069__54142_zoom.JPG

tropical%252436__08208_zoom.JPG

P2280027__03878_zoom.JPG

And because it was cheap and I like to tempt fate.

P3190068__38471_zoom.JPG

There is one more yuma, but I can't find a pic of it.

jedimasterben

Got back from the swap. Only thing I got besides the stuff from Morgan was a 'dragon soul' favia. Its sexy. Also Morgan forgot the hammer in my order :(

Also went to an LFS and they had not only a purple tilefish, but a skunk tilefish too! Omg, if they hadn't been $55 each and my wife was with me, I would have taken them both. Then we went to Petco to grab a pair of 10g tanks and they had ORA's newest release, the black line fang blenny! They were $20, but I didn't get one.

Nanofreak79

Dude, never bring the wife. They always try and dazzle you with being practical type talk. That favia is one of my favorites nice choice.

Dude, never bring the wife. They always try and dazzle you with being practical type talk. That favia is one of my favorites nice choice.

Like a used car salesman talking you out of buying something.
jedimasterben

She said that she has no problems buying both tilefish (or more) and the blenny, but right now after losing three fish in QT to wait a bit to clean out that tank with vinegar just to be sure. She made a valid point and I agreed.

She was mentioning every time we saw clams that they were really pretty, and she was picking out fish and corals and anemones that she wants in 'her tank'. I was like wtf is your tank? She said the little one in the living room, my living room my tank. :rolleyes:

So much for a Caribbean biotopes lol, but at least she is interested in keeping it!

Oh, I also got my own yeti (aka strawberry crab). :)

jedimasterben

Got some 'real' light over the tank now lol, aka a 5K CFL and the Coral Compulsion 40w 18K PAR38.

IMG_6197.jpg

The favia.

IMG_6205.jpg

The strawberry crab

IMG_6211.jpg

The shrooms

IMG_6212.jpg

IMG_6213.jpg

IMG_6215.jpg

IMG_6217.jpg

I really need to learn to take better pictures lol. Or at least a new lens.

and a tripod.

jedimasterben

Yep, the coral colors are accurate, not so much the color of the light (not used to shooting under the coral compulsion bulb).

jedimasterben

The strawberry crab has a thick shell, so unless you have a larger mantis, it won't be able to crack it.

Archived