ReefCleaners.org

Aqueon Evolve Master Thread.

dtitus1

So I've been going back and forth with a lot of people about these tanks since a lot of people are getting them right now (myself included) so I figured we should probably get a master thread going so we can pool information about mods and everything instead of having a bunch of people asking questions.

For starters, definitely make your own lid out of acrylic. It's super easy to measure the dimensions of the display area and just have them do it at lowes or home depot.

Now we can get into some of the others, this guy Frank Da Coder on youtube has some good videos.

Filtration mod.

.Essentially dividing the first chamber with another peice of acrylic so to maximize media usage.

Pump mod.

Good instructions on how to mod the pump, however IMO this only will work well enough for the 4, and after this I think it's a good amount of flow. For the 8 you're probably better off adding a maxi-jet instead and if you have the 2 you should just keep it the way it is. I also don't with what he says about taking the nozzle off. At least with the 4 you can't even connect the pump to the display side without the nozzle but it may be different on the 8.

Anyone else feel free to post, I'll put a new picture of mine up here tonight. I'm drip acclimating a scarlet hermit for it.

Here is a list of members who have these tanks and links. Please feel free to comment if I missed yours and you want it added.

Evolve 8's:

sageblade24

realreefs

aquaticengineer

buggy27

battleathletics

ianfaulk

theradkid

11gtcs

manwe

zeke

drtybacn

Evolve 4's:

wiskey

blaksheep67

mitch619

steelcube

dtitus1

christian10992

new-b-reefer

quicksilver525

airman_verde04

Evolve 2's:

biggyal66

reefer_girl

(So far these are the only two I've seen on here)

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
blankminded

Maybe someone could chime in on this. I have an Evolve 8 and wanted to see about adding a second nozzle. I was thinking about adding a Y Socket Fitting where the nozzle is now and putting a nozzle on each end of the Y. Has anyone tried this? My reason behind this is my koralia nano takes up a lot of space and it would be great to take it out. Having 2 nozzles facing different directions, I would be able to eliminate any dead spots without using the koralia.

I don't see why it wouldn't work provided you get the fittings right so nothing is leaking. Sounds like a good idea actually, although I'm not sure how to go about it. Definitely post on here your results if you figure it out.

As an update to my tank, I have GSP, Candy Apple zoas, and the purple mushroom all doing fine under the stock lighting, however as an experiment I'm going to try a single blue/white combo gu10 in a desklamp over it with 90 degree optics, and I'll post my results as this could be a good option for a lighting upgrade. We'll have to see what kind of spread I get, although right now I think this would probably only work with the 4's you'd probably be better off getting a par30 for the 8.

Lets get some more activity on here people! The biocube thread is huge.

blankminded

I started with the stock light and then upgraded to the beamworks. Its a great light but wanted something a littlle brighter. I ended up going with the LEDtric PAR38 full spectrum bulb and I love it.

I have 2 of those over my 20 long. How high do you have it over your 8? That seems like it would be kinda overkill unless it was pretty high. Do love the color of them though.

AquaticEngineer

For those of you with the Aqueon 8, how much room is there underneath the filter pad area in the back of the tank? The thickness of the acrylic on these tanks has got to be 1/4" at least, so I am debating on drilling the back of one of these and sticking an Iceprobe into it and trying my luck with it as a coldwater tank.

If anyone has one of the AQ8's already and wouldn't mind PM'ing me I would love to bounch some questions off you and maybe check some measurements. I just got buy one for the hell of it anyways, anyone got a Petco promo code I can use ;)

I'm actually trying to figure out what lighting to do for this actually cause the gu10 won't work. I would need 2 I think which would kind of defeat my application that I had in mind.

Anyone want to weigh in on Beamswork vs. Wavepoint? Beamswork looks nice but I think the color may be too white for my tastes.

Ordered the Beamswork over the Wavepoint. Once again Frank Da Coder convinced me.

That's the 18 watt one version, I ordered the 9 for my Evolve 4. I think these lights may be the go-to upgrade for us since the price and quality seem to be right.

blankminded

Thats the one I had my 8. Its an awesome light. I just wanted more of a full spectrum look on my 8 gallon.

20130309_103840.jpg

Full spectrum is pretty pro. I may add an led strip or 2 on here for extra color. Maybe purple cause I like the look it gives but for the money I like this light.

blankminded

I loved it. I was thinking about getting the evolve 2 or 4 and putting that light on it.

I got my beamswork today and it's nice, but not blue enough for my taste. Think I'm gonna put some extra blue and maybe purple or red leds on it. For the money though it's awesome.

AquaticEngineer

Well I went ahead and bought one of these, and installed one of these chillers on it.

CSXC-1_Retail_medium.jpg?84

Starting point is at 65F, gonna check it in the morning.

So far this whole coldwater setup has cost me $264.98 :D Not to bad as long as it can hold temperature.

Saltwaternewbie12

I ordered my beams work, but never got it.....now website is down, and the customer service # is disconnected...... Since the charge was "pending" to my acct, I had the bank clear it out then cancel the card........ I was really looking forward to that light too......

I got my beamswork today and it's nice, but not blue enough for my taste. Think I'm gonna put some extra blue and maybe purple or red leds on it. For the money though it's awesome.
did u order directly from aqua traders.com?
AquaticEngineer

I got my Aqueon 8 fully functional as a temperate/coldwater tank now :)

Livestock includes:
8x Sitka shrimp
2x Stout Shrimp
5x Hermit Crabs
4x Blue Porcelain Crabs
1x Smooth Bay Shrimp (sand burrower)
1x Blue Mud Shrimp (sand burrower, basically a coldwater pistol shrimp)
1x Juvenile Red Rock Crab
1x Ring Top Snail
2x Black Turban Snails
9x Painted Anemones
6x Moonglow Anemones
2x Fluffy Sculpins
1x Rockweed Gunnel
1x Pacific Sand dab (sand burrower)
Surf Grass
2 colors of Strawberry Anemones

Its definitely not a perfect coldwater solution, but it was a fast and easy one.

I had the chiller, the tank was cheap ($89) I collected all the livestock and know that everything in the tank can stand temperature fluctuations.

Its been hanging in the 57-63F range while the house has been as hot as 78F with humidity as high as 45%.

temporary_zps852df337.jpg

temporary_zpsb6426abb.jpg

temporary_zps6f5cab7e.jpg

temporary_zps43132f14.jpg

temporary_zps44cefa82.jpg

temporary_zps9147b6a2.jpg

temporary_zps63f07272.jpg

temporary_zps5bb178ac.jpg

temporary_zpsd3506679.jpg

temporary_zps38ba0b12.jpg

You do know coldwater tanks take longer to cycle right? Keep an eye on it if you added all that stuff relatively close together.

AquaticEngineer

You do know coldwater tanks take longer to cycle right? Keep an eye on it if you added all that stuff relatively close together.

I took all the water, rock, and sand from a system that I've had running for about 3 years :D

Lol good to know I didn't see your signature I'm sure you know what you're doing. I've seen a few people on here have problems with cycling temperate systems so I was just making sure. Your tank looks awesome.

AquaticEngineer

Lol good to know I didn't see your signature I'm sure you know what you're doing. I've seen a few people on here have problems with cycling temperate systems so I was just making sure. Your tank looks awesome.

Thanks :D For as much time as I spend collecting animals, I probably spend twice as much sitting here at my computer, So I figured I better have an inspirational coldwater reminder right next to me.

AquaticEngineer

So how are you liking the tank?

I freakin love this tank :) Since I have another one of these chillers already I may buy a second tank and set it up on the opposite side of my computer..........for symmetry of course ;)

awsome thread, ive got a evo 4 and i love it, i just need to see about skimmers that will fit in the back, not a whole lot of room back there

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic

Archived