Cultivated Reef

Aqueon Evolve 8 reef build

Ianfaulk

I had a fluval edge and got tired of the tiny opening at the top, so I went and purchased a Aqueon Evolve 8. I just moved everything over from the Edge to the Evolve. Here is the specs:

Lighting-AI Nano

Pump- Hydro pico 800

Wavemaker- Hydro FLO

Heater- Hydro Theo 50 watt

ATO- DIY

For the price it cant be beat, I like it alot. I had a Fluval Edge before and like this tank alot better.

• 2 months later...
Its acrylic, here is another pic:

post-73877-1339295331_thumb.jpg

i have evolve 8, please help !! i have no clue how to do the filters in the back, the right and left chamber, i know your supposed to change it. how do you have it set up.. i hear filter floss and chaeto in left, then 2 ammonia and 2 carbon in right, if this is true, how do you attach the filter floss? and also where do u put the ammonia or chemo pure stuff do i just drop in to the bottom? doesnt seem right

i have evolve 8, please help !! i have no clue how to do the filters in the back, the right and left chamber, i know your supposed to change it. how do you have it set up.. i hear filter floss and chaeto in left, then 2 ammonia and 2 carbon in right, if this is true, how do you attach the filter floss? and also where do u put the ammonia or chemo pure stuff do i just drop in to the bottom? doesnt seem right

Your primary filtration needs to be good live rock, sounds like you're doing a fishless cycle now. That's good. Keep it fishless for another 2 months or so. Don't worry about filter media. Do water changes, grow a reef. You don't need any media per se, but if you start having phosphate issues much later, for example, you might decide to add GFO, or perhaps carbon once you have some corals and/or want to polish the water, etc.

Sounds like reading some fundamentals in the Beginner's Forum would be good - see the stickies.

But filter bags like these is probably the answer you're looking for. Use the chambers however it makes sense for what you need to accomplish, but that's secondary for now, IMO. Chaeto might be a good idea (reverse cycle or 24 hour refugium) but you'll need to figure out a light, etc. Play with it, see what works.

Thanks for sharing your tank! I am looking at getting one and doing something similar.

How do you like it now?

What equipment would you suggest I buy in addition to what comes with the tank? (my live rock, substrate, corals will come out of my existing biocube)

Here are some pics:

post-73877-1338941661_thumb.jpg

post-73877-1338941696_thumb.jpg

post-73877-1338941709_thumb.jpg

post-73877-1338941722_thumb.jpg

post-73877-1338941732_thumb.jpg

More Pics

post-73877-1338941874_thumb.jpg

post-73877-1338941886_thumb.jpg

post-73877-1338941895_thumb.jpg

post-73877-1338941903_thumb.jpg

post-73877-1338941911_thumb.jpg

nice tank, can u show your filter set up in the back. also does the light support all sorts of corals, where can i buy one? i have a nano 8 just got it. please help if you can

• 5 months later...

I just joined today- tell me, how's the 8 doing since then? I just bought one couple wks back but haven't started it yet due to all the research I'm doing on-line, esp with only 1 real saltwater shop to speak of here- still researching the upgrade lighting issue.

You'll definitely want the lighting upgrade. It really doesn't work well even for softies. I am currently using mine as a quarantine tank or temporary frag tank until I upgrade the lights.

Archived