ReefCleaners.org

9 bulb GU10 LED lap build over a Aqueon Evolve 8

Freemind

I bought a 9 by 9 inch cake pan from Walmart. It's 2 inches deep.

http://tiny.cc/gpbuww

I have 9 GU10 LED bulbs in 3 rows. BWB then WBW then BWB.

I used superglue to glue the 9 GU10 sockets to the inside of the pan. If I was to do it again, I would use a 8 by 8 inch cake pan. There is a lot of light that goes over the edge of the tank rim. I think the lights might need to be closer together. I have 30 degree optics in all the bulbs.

I used a 10 foot piece of 1/2 inch metal conduit from Home Depot and four c shaped conduit straps to secure the light 12 inches above the tank lid.

http://tiny.cc/wnbuww

I used a pipe bender that was in the same isle as the 1/2 inch electrical conduit to bend a 90 degree bend in the conduit at the store. So I didn't have to buy the pipe bender, just did it there on the floor of Home Depot. I used a small pipe cutter to trim the conduit. Sized it for length by try and error. I screwed 2 of the straps into the wooden stand that my tank sits on and the other 2 straps secure the cake pan to the conduit. Four #8 size wood screws into the wooden stand and four #8 size machine screws and nuts into the pan. I used liquid electrical tape to cover over all the electrical connections inside the pan.

I used a 125 volt switch from Home Depot so I can turn off the whites if I want and the blues are on all the time. Only one power cord, it is plugged into a timer. But you can wire the lights any way you want. I soldered the connections and then painted over the joints with liquid electrical tape. The switch is on the back side of the pan and the hole that the power cord goes through is also throught the back side of the pan. I drilled a bunch of holes into the pan bottom to let heat out of the pan. If there are no holes to vent the built up heat from the lights, then the lights will overheat and die. I drilled from the inside of the pan, to avoid hitting any wires. I painted the whole lamp black on the outside with acrylic craft paint from the craft section of Walmart.

http://tiny.cc/ricuww

It's waterproof once dry, but is water clean up when still wet and no fumes like spray paint. I used a cheap foam brush from Walmart and painted the outside of the pan, the clamps and conduit to make the entire thing black. Once it was mounted 12 inched above the tank, I used black electrical tape to tape the power cord to the conduit so the power cord is not touching the tank. Hope this gives you some ideas on how to mount GU10s.

PTDC0023.jpg

PTDC0019.jpg

PTDC0016.jpg

PTDC0015.jpg

PTDC0010.jpg

PTDC0008.jpg

PTDC0017.jpg

Also on the

Aqueon Evolve 8 master thread :)

How is this working out for you thus far? Is there anything you would change besides the pan size?

Can't think of anything. When I place my hand up inside the pan, It feels warm, but not hot. I think there are enough holes to let the heat out.

One thing I didn't mention, was I placed a cardboard box on top of the tank, then laid the pan on top of the box, then slid the conduit down through the 2 straps holding it to the stand, on top to line things up. It kept the pan level and I was able to place the pan where I wanted it, lined up over the clear top. I then marked the hole locations for the straps to mount to the pan.

I left the conduit long, so I could raise or lower the lamp.

I could have drilled a hole through the conduit pipe and ran the power cord through the pipe instead of taping it to the side.

More of a looks thing though.

With the 9 bulbs, I think I can keep any kind of coral I want. The tank is very bright!

• 3 weeks later...

Let's see. $43 for the bulbs and sockets off ebay. $10 for the pan from walmart. $5 for the 1/2" conduit, conduit straps, screws and nuts from home depot. $3 for the craft paint and foam brush from walmart. $5 for the liquid electrical tape and $4 for the 125 volt switch also from home depot. I already had the electric drill, sodering iron and soder. I used old computer power cords for the wiring.

43+10+5+3+5+4=70

$70.

If you already have stuff laying around. It could be less though.

Archived